The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,794
Default American Horror Story 2019

Anyone watch AHS last night? I think I am pulling the plug on this year since there is no creativity at all and just anything happens. But unlike the witch season, Stevie's music is so out of place. Playing Leather and lace while people are slaughtered? Leather and Lace is not even from 1984 but just a shameful plug that has no reference.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 10-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Anyone watch AHS last night? I think I am pulling the plug on this year since there is no creativity at all and just anything happens. But unlike the witch season, Stevie's music is so out of place. Playing Leather and lace while people are slaughtered? Leather and Lace is not even from 1984 but just a shameful plug that has no reference.
Leather and Lace is from 1981. They can play 1981 music in 1984.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2019, 01:57 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Leather and Lace is from 1981. They can play 1981 music in 1984.
Of course they can.
However every OTHER song that has been played in the current season ironically IS from 1984. I get it that Stevie is friends with AHS. At least her character in Coven made sense and the witch who was inspired by Stevie, etc. All of her music fit in those shows. I don't get Leather and Lace.
Of course they can. But how about a little more thought and creativity than shameless plugs.
I thought last season was a disaster. It started good but got so dumb and silly where it appeared the show was written week to week. They like twists and turns but in the end they have to find ways to justify their twists and turns and it gets really stupid.
I keep trying but this was the week I abandoned the show. I am not alone. The ratings are the worst of any season. Even the premiere had a dreadful 1 million and now its way lower.
Sad because the first season was so good. Not a fan of every season but the last 2 have been horrific (pardon the pun).
However I will say when Lady Gaga appeared a few seasons ago in Hotel, it jumped the shark. I love horror films but when you only create scenes for shock value and not a good script, its dumb. The aerobics instructor having sex with serial killer Richard Ramirez as the guts and intestines fall upon them from one of the victims is laughable. The orgy scenes with Lady Gaga all dumb. I am sorry but plot and script matter to me. No wonder the cult fans of the show have turned on this season. A 4th grader could write a better script.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-12-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-12-2019, 04:25 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
However I will say when Lady Gaga appeared a few seasons ago in Hotel, it jumped the shark. I love horror films but when you only create scenes for shock value and not a good script, its dumb. The aerobics instructor having sex with serial killer Richard Ramirez as the guts and intestines fall upon them from one of the victims is laughable. The orgy scenes with Lady Gaga all dumb. I am sorry but plot and script matter to me.
Sounds like grindhouse. Was it done for laughs, perhaps? Like the Blood Drive series on Syfy? The only AHS I ever watched was the show with Stevie from a few years back. Both it and she were awful (although Angela Bassett was great, like a viperish Lady Macbeth). But Jessica Lange playing a matriarch witch like Blanche DuBois? Oy Christ. Kill me now.
__________________

Last edited by David; 10-12-2019 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-13-2019, 12:17 AM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Sounds like grindhouse. Was it done for laughs, perhaps? Like the Blood Drive series on Syfy? The only AHS I ever watched was the show with Stevie from a few years back. Both it and she were awful (although Angela Bassett was great, like a viperish Lady Macbeth). But Jessica Lange playing a matriarch witch like Blanche DuBois? Oy Christ. Kill me now.
Ryan Murphy and Jessica Lange will be teaming up again. Jessica is going to portray Marlene Dietrich in Vegas, in the 1960s.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-13-2019, 12:22 PM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
However every OTHER song that has been played in the current season ironically IS from 1984. I get it that Stevie is friends with AHS. At least her character in Coven made sense and the witch who was inspired by Stevie, etc. All of her music fit in those shows. I don't get Leather and Lace.
Of course they can. But how about a little more thought and creativity than shameless plugs.
I thought last season was a disaster. It started good but got so dumb and silly where it appeared the show was written week to week. They like twists and turns but in the end they have to find ways to justify their twists and turns and it gets really stupid.
I keep trying but this was the week I abandoned the show. I am not alone. The ratings are the worst of any season. Even the premiere had a dreadful 1 million and now its way lower.
No wonder the cult fans of the show have turned on this season. A 4th grader could write a better script.
I'm a big fan of this show too and last season was such a let down. I literally hated it. So far this season I have only watched the first episode and was quite disappointed. I have to agree even tho I have not viewed it yet, Leather and Lace in a murder scene is way out of place in the same way I thought playing Sleeping Angel during the abortion scene was out of place in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
__________________
 photo d754aa6e-1605-473c-895b-9665a3f17371_zpsrtovtrei.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Leather and Lace is from 1981. They can play 1981 music in 1984.
Yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they played songs from later years. I think I've found those mistakes in Stranger Things soundtrack. I'm pretty sure some 80s songs were not from 1983/84 but later.

Though to me the leader in goofs and mistakes was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Supposedly they were in Cusco, Peru, and you can hear mexican songs. And Nasca lines are far far from Cusco.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I'm a big fan of this show too and last season was such a let down. I literally hated it. So far this season I have only watched the first episode and was quite disappointed. I have to agree even tho I have not viewed it yet, Leather and Lace in a murder scene is way out of place in the same way I thought playing Sleeping Angel during the abortion scene was out of place in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
I thought Sleeping Angel was perfect for that scene. Its not an abortion scene. She's on the phone, alone and rejected as Stevie's vulnerable voice starts "take me if you need me but never let me down you're asking me to trust you but there's little of that around"
I just don't think any kind of song and lyric could have fit more perfect for the girl in such a vulnerable state and clearly let down and betrayed by that jerk.

Back to AHS. If Leather and Lace was played in the car or gym, its not a big deal but during a murder scene is just odd and as I said, a shameless plug. I get the spoof of empty headed 80s murder movie characters. However, its really off the rails. Would not be surprised if an alien spacecraft landed in the next show. As I mentioned when everything is for shock value its trying to cover for a weak script. When anything can happen and does, can you really be into the story? You know its not good when you are cheering for the killer.
I miss the original music too that was on every season except this one. However the 1984 music opening has grown on me because it is so 80s almost from an 80s porno movie or something.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-13-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I'm a big fan of this show too and last season was such a let down. I literally hated it. So far this season I have only watched the first episode and was quite disappointed. I have to agree even tho I have not viewed it yet, Leather and Lace in a murder scene is way out of place in the same way I thought playing Sleeping Angel during the abortion scene was out of place in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Goodbye Angel.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2019, 02:42 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,261
Default

Letís talk about the actual show. Itís a mess. Itís just a bunch of killing with very little plot and bad transitions. Each episode feels like a juvenile high school play. They try to cram too much into each episodes and frankly, there is something wrong with Ryan Murphy. He always manages to sensationalize murder with sex. There is something very perverse about him. Feels like he hates women.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Billy Burnette Vintage 80's Pin Pinback Badge Rockabilly
$29.95
Billy Burnette Vintage 80's Pin Pinback Badge Rockabilly picture1981 Press Photo Musician Billy Burnette - pip13944
$19.88
1981 Press Photo Musician Billy Burnette - pip13944 picture1981 Press Photo Singer Billy Burnette - pip13852
$19.88
1981 Press Photo Singer Billy Burnette - pip13852 picture1992 Press Photo Singer Billy Burnette - hcp33943
$18.97
1992 Press Photo Singer Billy Burnette - hcp33943 picture1980 Press Photo Entertainer Billy Burnette during a performance - hcp33944
$18.97
1980 Press Photo Entertainer Billy Burnette during a performance - hcp33944 picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved