User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bekka Bramlett

Hello everyone,

I have recently discovered some videos from the Another Link in the Chain Tour (YouTube) with Bekka singing lead - had never heard her voice before. She got a lot of hate from YouTube commenters, was just wondering - what do you guys think of her? Do you like her voice? Do you think she did a good job on Chris and Stevie's songs?

Personally, was pleasantly surprised - I'm amazed she hasn't been more successful as a solo artist. Was shocked that she's 20 years younger than Stevie!

secret love
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think you'll find a lot who have great things to say about Bekka Bramlett on this subforum. I'm glad you're enjoying your discovery of her.

Her voice has never really "pulled me in" in quite the way the other Mac women do, but her vocal talent is undeniable. I enjoy her songwriting in particular.

I think she did a great job covering older Mac tunes. They were very different from their original versions, which is how it should be. I actually prefer her Stevie covers, as I think they better suit her sort of wild-ragged vocal style. Her interpretations of Christine's more subdued songwriting seem oddly restrained yet overly-embellished at the same time, but still enjoyable. The vitriol against her is absurd and hugely embarrassing to me as a Stevie fan. You'd think Bekka had murdered Stevie in her sleep and these were all clips of her singing whilst tapdancing on her grave. Covers and reinterpretations of songs from older members are a part of FM that I've always enjoyed, and it's a shame people weren't willing to embrace them in the Time era.

An aside: Talking of Mac reinterpretations/covers, I've always thought Stevie could do a mean interpretation of Green Manalishi. Am I alone in this?

ETA: Just listened to her and Billy doing Oh Well. Billy is lacklustre, but Bekka... Yeesh. Eat your heart out, American Idols (although they rarely seem to have much more career success than she's had).

Last edited by Dex; 05-29-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Bekka's voice...I liked her mom's, as well (I was a big Delaney & Bonnie fan)...Bekka sounds almost identical to her mom. When I saw the Time lineup (which is really a misnomer, since when I saw them, it was still almost a year to the day from when Time was released...plus Christine was nowhere in sight), Bonnie made a cameo appearance singing background vocals WITH Bekka on Dave Mason's "Only You Know & I Know" (which was a minor hit for Delaney & Bonnie and Friends), they were almost indistinguishable.

Even while doing background vocals for other artists, Bekka's voice is instantly recognizable (best example is Jonny Lang's "Lie To Me"...also on....uh.....ack!. O crap! I forget the title, but on one of Montgomery Gentry's big hits from the early 2000's, she does a prominent background vocal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
An aside: Talking of Mac reinterpretations/covers, I've always thought Stevie could do a mean interpretation of Green Manalishi. Am I alone in this?
Well, she doesn't take the lead vocal, but she does the "sing in tongues" thing (as she would later do on "Sisters Of The Moon" on the '82 Mirage video) during those 1975-77 versions that Fleetwood Mac did.

Listen to the version of "Green Manalishi" on the Who's The New Girl? bootleg, for example.

Last edited by chiliD; 05-29-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
one of Montgomery Gentry's big hits from the early 2000's, she does a prominent background vocal)
My Town.

secret love - Love Beks, and I love how she sticks to her guns, she has actually been offered large record contracts but turned them down because she didn't want to sell her soul to the company store so she's done her low key work to perform the kind of music she wants to and as herself and not a product. Great admiration here.

John
Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
My Town.

secret love - Love Beks, and I love how she sticks to her guns, she has actually been offered large record contracts but turned them down because she didn't want to sell her soul to the company store so she's done her low key work to perform the kind of music she wants to and as herself and not a product. Great admiration here.

John
She obviously got a LOT of industry advice from her parents!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Well, she doesn't take the lead vocal, but she does the "sing in tongues" thing (as she would later do on "Sisters Of The Moon" on the '82 Mirage video) during those 1975-77 versions that Fleetwood Mac did.

Listen to the version of "Green Manalishi" on the Who's The New Girl? bootleg, for example.
I'd forgotten all about these, thanks chiliD! In truth I don't think Lindsey (or the Stevie of the 70s) really had the voice to carry the mood of that song off, though I do love the wails at the end of it. Her more current voice has an edge that just fits that song perfectly. Of course I'm sure it'll never actually happen, but in my head it sounds awesome.

Quote:
My Town.

John
I didn't know this, but it's great to hear. Very wise move on her part. There are ways to be an artist without having to endure the toxicity of the "industry" and I imagine she's very happy with the choice she made.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My Town.

John
I was reminded by my wife that she also did the backgrounds on Montgomery Gentry's song "Gone", as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I was reminded by my wife that she also did the backgrounds on Montgomery Gentry's song "Gone", as well.
I wish Bekka had gone on to bigger and better things. I know that she's probably happy doing what she does, but as a fan it is hard with so few solo albums to listen to. Her vocals are amazing and she is wasted doing backing vocals and the occasional duet.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Hello everyone,

I have recently discovered some videos from the Another Link in the Chain Tour (YouTube) with Bekka singing lead - had never heard her voice before. She got a lot of hate from YouTube commenters, was just wondering - what do you guys think of her? Do you like her voice? Do you think she did a good job on Chris and Stevie's songs?

Personally, was pleasantly surprised - I'm amazed she hasn't been more successful as a solo artist. Was shocked that she's 20 years younger than Stevie!

secret love
At the time she was stepping into some pretty big shoes, especially considering covering both Chris and Stevie songs. The first show I attended of the "Time" lineup was in West Palm Beach, Fl at the Carefree Theater. She was great, and the venue was tiny, maybe 300 seats. Gold Dust Woman was well done as were most of the Christine songs. On the album I enjoy Winds of Change the most.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Last night I discovered that Bekka performed with Billy Joel and Elton John in the concert of Japan in 1998.
I've watched that concert maybe twice, but last night I was there and I said "Wait, I know who's she!" and when the show ended I saw the credits, and yes, Bekka was there!!
My own welcome to the Post-Rumours era, hehehe
Regards!!
Old 07-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She occasionally performs in Nashville, too(as does Rick Vito, and Billy).
She is just the sweetest thing in the world. Seriously, she's all heart...always trying to help others, and just being positive. And sweetly innocent too. She always says "ding dang" instead of cuss words. I always laugh when I see "ding dang".