Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Things you still use

My VCR was dead so I was looking for a new one, not big deal but just to record sometimes what I can't watch because of job and other reasons (Desp.Housewives, A&E specials, etc).
But I just realize there are no vcrs anymore!! they were until last year. I didn't want to buy a dvd recorder.. but at the end I did it, and enjoying it, but it was too expensive anyway.

So Thinking in other "old" stuff I still use.. I found 35mm cameras. In fact I DON'T have a digital camera. Not yet. I think I'll buy it this year, but I still love printed photos, are easier to show it, cheaper, etc. printed photos from films are far cheaper than digitals. At least in Peru.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still use my old crappy StarTac phone. Its so visibly on older model its the equivalent of a Betamax or Atari.

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

I'm shocked when anyone younger than say, 40 years old, still has a VCR. The technology is so out-dated, and the quality is in inherently piss-poor. DVD Recorders and DVR units kinda put the VCR on it's death knell if you ask me.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I must admit that I'm a bit of a late adapter to technology, but I've been scrounging around for a new DVD player lately.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still need the VCR to tape Gilmour Girls, Family Guy and America's Next Top Model. DVD for movies. Doesn't everyone do that or is no one taping shows anymore? Oh riiiiight, TiVo. Yeah, I don't have that. In fact, I'm pretty sure Canada doesn't have that.

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow We still have VCRs

We have both. Like Red, I tape special stuff from the TV with my VCR and watch stuff on DVDs. I have so many VHS tapes of movies though, that I never watch. I'd rather watch my fave TV shows than a movie. That's weird though, becuase as a kid, I always wanted to rent/watch movies and now, I could care less about watching a movie. Occassionally, I will though. Bought The 40-Year-Old Virgin from Pay-Per-View back in February. Hilarious!

I don't have TiVo either.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm under 40 and own a VCR. It mostly collects dust though. Kinda like my turntable.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
I'm under 40 and own a VCR. It mostly collects dust though. Kinda like my turntable.
I just threw out an old turltable of mine that I had since I was like 6. Thing had so much dust on it!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I use my turntable regularly. And we have DVD/VCR combo players, but I only use the VCR part when I'm taping something, for out of print stuff that hasn't been released on DVD, or for old bootlegs I haven't yet "upgraded." We have a couple tape decks in the house, but those rarely if ever get used.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedSLN
I use my turntable regularly. And we have DVD/VCR combo players, but I only use the VCR part when I'm taping something, for out of print stuff that hasn't been released on DVD, or for old bootlegs I haven't yet "upgraded." We have a couple tape decks in the house, but those rarely if ever get used.
I wonder, do more recently released recordings on Vinyl sound better than ones from the 70's?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I wonder, do more recently released recordings on Vinyl sound better than ones from the 70's?
Good question. I wouldn't know, I mostly just use mine for old stuff. I like checking out the back catalogues of bands that way... digging through the LP bins in back of used records stores and buying like 20 albums for $3. If they suck, at least I didn't waste any money, and if they're good, I'll eventually replace them on cd (if one is available). I imagine today's releases on vinyl would have a crisper sound, though.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally still use my turntable.

The Beatles were actually not menat to be heard on state of the art super duper enhanced cds. They were meant to be heard on scratchy vinyl, and NOTHING beats that sound (except maybe them live). And old jazz tunes? NOTHING beats an old jazz vinyl. Nothing. I LOVE the scratch, I live for the scratch.

I am under 40 and still have a VCR. Believe it or not, many people still do! It's not a dead technology yet, dying, yes...dead? No. If it were truly dead then it would be impossible to find VHS tapes at any store....but ya still can

And I still use mine for the few movies I haven't yet bought on DVD. It's not al lthat much worse. I dont' have to wait for anything to load....and if I want to stop something - I stop it and dont' have to to go through a whole -waiting for disc to load, menu, select scene regiment to get to where I was going. So I have a VCR and a DVD player -and I use them both.

Lets see...other old stuff....well I just sold my non-digital camera via Ebay..someone actually bought it lol- so no more using that for me!

Now the real question - does anyone here still use Cassette tapes for music!?!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

i'm under 40 and i....

- still have and use my vcr. sure, the technology may be out of date, but that doesn't make me any richer. it's taping west wing as we speak. while i'm watching season 4 of six feet under on dvd.

- have a real answering machine. again, totally out of date, but it still works. why should i pay the phone company any more money than i already am to answer my phone?

- have a turntable. don't use it - but can't throw it out.

- just bought an iPod last week.

- have never been in a chat room, don't use instant messaging, and hate text messaging with a passion.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon
I'm shocked when anyone younger than say, 40 years old, still has a VCR. The technology is so out-dated, and the quality is in inherently piss-poor. DVD Recorders and DVR units kinda put the VCR on it's death knell if you ask me.
Not all of us have endless cash to replace old technology, especially when it comes to all the stuff I have on video tape. If I threw out my VCR and replaced all my tapes with DVDs it would cost me hundreds and hundreds. VCRs work just fine, thanks - quality isn't as good for sure, but it's good enough. Quality can only get so good, no matter how much better manufacturers keep telling you their stuff is getting.

And I'll throw out my turntable only when all my vinyl has been re-released on CD (fat chance) and when someone wants to replace my 2000 LPs with CDs...

I still use cassette tapes as well, but only in the car. It doesn't have a CD player because they cost a fortune. It's still good enough quality to make me go deaf
Old 03-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still use a TV with a tube, flat screen, but still a tube.

Looking to get a plasma this year or something along that line or flat panel and certainly hi-def. So those Sound Stage shows (all taped in hi-def) pop out of my screen and into my living room.