Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Talking interesting american food??

Hi everyone.. this is going to seem an odd request.. I am writing something and I am trying to use examples (available on the west coast or new york) of interesting, maybe a little bizarre food you can get at a store or a restaurant in the US. Obviously I am asking cos I'm not American, so I can't get out there to browse the shops. Can any of you post your favourite unusual candy or any wierd cereal or anything that you have seen or that you like? Or your favourite restaurant and what you like to eat there? Basically, any ideas of brands or types of food you like...

Cheers x mel
Old 09-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Does it have to be american food? cause there hardly is such a thing...
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

I guess I am looking for something I can't get here (I am in the UK right now)... I am pretty sure most cereals and stuff are different, and I am just wondering if there are some things that some one from outside the US would see in an American supermarket and just really want to try.

For example: in New Zealand you can get different chocolate bars to the UK.. NZ has Mars and Bounty etc etc from the US but also Moro bars (a bit like Mars. So maybe an American in NZ might see Moro bars and think what is that??? and want to try it (or not). I'm kind of looking for that kind of thing.

If you can get it in the UK or New Zealand (where I am from, originally), I'll let you know.

Mel
Old 09-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Here in the Philadelphia area I LOVE a good soft pretzel!

Stuff like that?

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 09-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hi Sugar, yeah, like that, exactly. A soft pretzel?? Is it pretzel shaped? Like a salty donut???
Old 09-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly
I guess I am looking for something I can't get here (I am in the UK right now)... I am pretty sure most cereals and stuff are different, and I am just wondering if there are some things that some one from outside the US would see in an American supermarket and just really want to try.

For example: in New Zealand you can get different chocolate bars to the UK.. NZ has Mars and Bounty etc etc from the US but also Moro bars (a bit like Mars. So maybe an American in NZ might see Moro bars and think what is that??? and want to try it (or not). I'm kind of looking for that kind of thing.

If you can get it in the UK or New Zealand (where I am from, originally), I'll let you know.

Mel
My friend brought me a violet crunch candybar from Aus(I think?) in the fourth grade, and it was soooooo good. That's a good candybar if you remember it 20 yrs. later

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well let's see - this is pretty unique to New Mexico ( and therefore something I am missing greatly)....but green chile bagels...mmmm...they are so good - they are plain bagels with green chile baked in - you can get awesome Green Chile in New Mexico - you cannot get it anywhere else - we seriously have the best green chile (NOT PEPPERS) on the planet...

so I also enjoy Green CHile dip - it's sour cream mixed with green chile and it's SO good....I can eat a whole tub in one sitting lol....

I miss the land of green chile...
Old 09-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hey,

Sometimes you can get them "pretzel shaped". Especially if you buy frozen ones in the grocery store (brand name: Superpretzel).

But if you buy them from the local convenience store they're usually shaped kind of like a tall, narrowish figure 8. Like if you put your fingers in the loops of the 8 and pulled?

Yes they are salty, but they're much more doughy than a donut. Closer to bread than a pastry.

How's that?

I was also thinking of scrapple, which is a popular breakfast meat around here. There's a saying about using pigs for food, and that's "You use everything but the 'oink'", and that's where scrapple comes in!

Old 09-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile

It sounds familiar.. I think you can get violet crunch bars in NZ too. Can you get Cadbury's chocolate in the US? It's pretty much the standard brand here...
Old 09-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It sounds familiar.. I think you can get violet crunch bars in NZ too. Can you get Cadbury's chocolate in the US? It's pretty much the standard brand here...
Yeah, but I wouldn't say it's Standard. And i'd have to go with mexican food, i heard england doesn't have it, or it's not as good, or something. Since i would eat it all the time, i'd probably miss that most.
And, though i don't eat cereal hardly at all....oh, those Golden Grahams are great!
AMber

Old 09-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You can get Cadbury chocolate in the US, butr usually a fairly limited variety and (I think) mostly only in grocery stores. You don't see the Cadbury chocolate bars around the cash register that you see in the UK. (I lived in London for 6 months when I was in college).

The standard brands for chocolate bars at the register are Nestle and Hershey. Again, Hershey is based in Hershey, Pennsylvania, about 2 hours west of Philly, so I'm not sure if that's a regional thing. Anybody? The globe-trotting Deanna maybe?

Old 09-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar
You can get Cadbury chocolate in the US, butr usually a fairly limited variety and (I think) mostly only in grocery stores. You don't see the Cadbury chocolate bars around the cash register that you see in the UK. (I lived in London for 6 months when I was in college).

The standard brands for chocolate bars at the register are Nestle and Hershey. Again, Hershey is based in Hershey, Pennsylvania, about 2 hours west of Philly, so I'm not sure if that's a regional thing. Anybody? The globe-trotting Deanna maybe?
No, in cali we have basically just hershey and nestle, too. of course, there are specialty chocolote places cause Ghiradelli square is right here, but.
AMber

Old 09-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default that thing you eat with turkey for Thanksgiving

Just cereal or candy?

Cause right now I remember the "stuffing", I guess it's the name of that thing you eat with turkey for Thanksgiving.

That is not popular in Peru (in fact we don't celebrate Tksgiving). So maybe it could work (don't know if it's popular in UK, NZ or other places)

And of course pretzels.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How about something like a Philly Cheesesteak?

Or something southern like collard greens or black-eyed peas?

I don't know anything about the southern stuff, but I've had a cheesesteak or two in my time!

Carol
Old 09-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Do you have like Funnel Cakes and Elephant Ears over there? They are tasty carnival treats.