User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I wonder, though, if it would have been quite as big of a hit if it had been the third or fourth single from the album.
The first single usually gets the bigger push from the label and radio.

"Tusk" could have been propelled to the Top 10 by the fact that it was the "brand new single from Fleetwood Mac's upcoming album."
It was the novelty of the song that made it a hit. The marching band, the USC connection, the jungle chant thing, all that....
it was a hit for the same reason that a marching band plays a romp at a ball game & gets everybody on his feet & singing.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It was the novelty of the song that made it a hit. The marching band, the USC connection, the jungle chant thing, all that....
it was a hit for the same reason that a marching band plays a romp at a ball game & gets everybody on his feet & singing.
"Tusk" is the only Fleetwood Mac song my father likes, and that's solely because of the marching band.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IMO, Tusk belongs to my category of "songs that are unique and no other song written before or after is similar". A friend of mine and I used to actually have a list of all those songs. We would include all songs that might be or might not be typical of a certain artist but do not resemble any other song. Usually they are songs that no matter how many times I listen to them, I cannot for the life of me figure where the inspiration came from. And by that I don't mean "what the song is about" etc.
Then again, I am not a musician myself, so maybe I 'm getting it all wrong.
(Edge of seventeen is another one on my list..Or, as far as other artists go, "Innuendo" by Queen, or Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter")
Old 05-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elie
IMO, Tusk belongs to my category of "songs that are unique and no other song written before or after is similar". A friend of mine and I used to actually have a list of all those songs. We would include all songs that might be or might not be typical of a certain artist but do not resemble any other song. Usually they are songs that no matter how many times I listen to them, I cannot for the life of me figure where the inspiration came from. And by that I don't mean "what the song is about" etc.
(Edge of seventeen is another one on my list..
Well, we know where the musical "inspiration" for "Edge of Seventeen" came from...
Old 05-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...or Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter")

Just a re-write of "Under My Thumb".
Old 05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Its funny that you mention that people don't know Lindsey by name because just the other day at work Big Love came on the radio and I kind of started singing to myself. One of my co-workers casually said "Isn't this a Lindsey Buckingham song?" I just about shat myself. I didn't care that she kinda got it wrong (but oh-so right), but the fact that someone outside the FM bubble knew his name!!! ***Le sigh***

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Its funny that you mention that people don't know Lindsey by name because just the other day at work Big Love came on the radio and I kind of started singing to myself. One of my co-workers casually said "Isn't this a Lindsey Buckingham song?" I just about shat myself. I didn't care that she kinda got it wrong (but oh-so right), but the fact that someone outside the FM bubble knew his name!!! ***Le sigh***
Think she referred to it as an LB track b/c of the Elizabethtown soundtrack?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Just a re-write of "Under My Thumb".
Really? I had never thought so..Oh, I 'm so disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Well, we know where the musical "inspiration" for "Edge of Seventeen" came from...
No, I don't know that either Please, elaborate if you have time
(On another note, I have read Stevie's explanation concerning the inspiration for the lyrics, but here on the Ledge I 've read that a lot of people "question" that it was really about what Stevie says. I don't get that either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Its funny that you mention that people don't know Lindsey by name because just the other day at work Big Love came on the radio and I kind of started singing to myself. One of my co-workers casually said "Isn't this a Lindsey Buckingham song?"
That would not happen in a million years where I come from!!
That's what I was talking about in my original post. When we were watching "Elizabethtown" and Big Love came on, I said to my friend "that's FM" and she said 'Oh, I like that song a lot, but I didn't know who it was". Let alone know about Lindsey..
Old 05-02-2006, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The main riff of "Edge Of Seventeen" was pretty much lifted from a song by The Police.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
The main riff of "Edge Of Seventeen" was pretty much lifted from a song by The Police.
And then didn't Waddy get mad at Stevie for that?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
(Edge of seventeen is another one on my list..Or, as far as other artists go, "Innuendo" by Queen, or Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter")
That's a great idea, I'd like to see that list. Would Down Under be on it?
I agree about TUSK. And I think it would be one of the more unusual songs on the unusual song list.
I would never, ever meet anyone who knew who L-buck was except for that worker guy in Rasputin music store who told me TUSK was his favorite album of all as I was selling my copy of it to him. I usually don't expect cool music store guy to have FM be his favorite anything. It was a lovely moment. But I think part of that is my age group.
But on the other hand like others have said, it would be hard to meet the average person who didn't recognize immediately a fair portion of his handywork. (The Songs).

I mainly want to see that list.

We should have a thread with the theme of that list.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-02-2006, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Really? Which one? I didn't know that either..
However, doesn't it sound pretty original? I had always thought so..

Thanx Amber! Yes, Down Under actually was on our list!
Perhaps we could have a thread on Chit Chat
Old 05-02-2006, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Really? Which one? I didn't know that either..
However, doesn't it sound pretty original? I had always thought so..

Thanx Amber! Yes, Down Under actually was on our list!
Perhaps we could have a thread on Chit Chat
Yeah, go start one!

If I was a dork (which I'm not, swear) I would also think it would be a fun contest to guess what was on your list....

Old 05-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Yeah, go start one!

If I was a dork (which I'm not, swear) I would also think it would be a fun contest to guess what was on your list....
Hmm the contest would actually be fun
I 'm starting it now, I hope you will join me
Old 05-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yes, the guitar riff & the 16th notes on the cymbals are supposed to have been stolen from "Here Comes the Night" but the chords in Edge are Stevie's own.
Quote:
On another note, I have read Stevie's explanation concerning the inspiration for the lyrics, but here on the Ledge I 've read that a lot of people "question" that it was really about what Stevie says. I don't get that either.
Stevie doesn't know what any of her songs are about because when she compiles them (out of old journal entries) it's just a mishmash of nonlinear impressions & emotions. So fans ask her years later what this song or that song is about, & she has no idea. The only song she knows about is "The Highwayman"--see her response to Jim Ladd in 1981 on the radio.

She is (& was) the worst possible guest for a show like "Storytellers" although she is able to "tell a story" about a song like "Stand Back." But the thing about "Storytellers" is not that you want to hear just some little story peripherally related to the song, you want to hear the meaning behind the song (i.e., the lyrics). The only thing Stevie remembers is this sort of stuff: you can sing "Stand Back" to the chords of "Little Red Corvette."

moviekinks.blogspot.com