User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
True, Zep isn’t one of her influences, but when she wore that big hat with the feather at Universal in 2001 and sang it as an encore, it was the high point of the evening. Every so often, she just drops the faerie fey (playing with those ribbons on the mic stand and giggling) and pushes herself to deliver some old-fashioned rock and roll. She did it with Buddy Holly’s “Not Fade Away,” too. It gives us a chance to see Stevie let ’er rip. She’s already much too old to do a convincing “What Are You Doing in My Life?” or “Even the Losers,” but she should have covered at least half of Damn the Torpedoes in her earliest solo years.
Actually a circa ‘81-‘83 cover of Refugee would probably be really incredible. By ‘86 it would have devolved into a wailing circus!
Old 06-29-2023, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
True, Zep isn’t one of her influences, but when she wore that big hat with the feather at Universal in 2001 and sang it as an encore, it was the high point of the evening. Every so often, she just drops the faerie fey (playing with those ribbons on the mic stand and giggling) and pushes herself to deliver some old-fashioned rock and roll. She did it with Buddy Holly’s “Not Fade Away,” too. It gives us a chance to see Stevie let ’er rip. She’s already much too old to do a convincing “What Are You Doing in My Life?” or “Even the Losers,” but she should have covered at least half of Damn the Torpedoes in her earliest solo years.
I always thought she would have done a great "Change of Heart" instead of the constant "I need to know."
Old 06-30-2023, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Rock and Roll however needs to GO. I think she threw that in there for Waddy as that's the type of stuff he loves, but it serves NO PURPOSE in Stevie show. It makes sense for Heart to do it because they have been open forever about how much Led Zeppelin was an influence of theirs, and so it's a sort of homage from Heart to LZ. WTF is Stevie doing it?
Because she has fun performing it?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-01-2023, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Because she has fun performing it?
I think it's because the entire crowd knows it rather than her enjoyment. She doesn't sing the "Ah-ah-ah...ah-ah" in the song which would sound cool. Almost like her now retired Edge Wail.

I'm sure she'd rather sing her own fast rock song like Blue Lamp or Blue Denim but the crowd wouldn't know them, which sucks because those songs are freaking awesome!
Old 07-01-2023, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I think it's because the entire crowd knows it rather than her enjoyment. She doesn't sing the "Ah-ah-ah...ah-ah" in the song which would sound cool. Almost like her now retired Edge Wail.

I'm sure she'd rather sing her own fast rock song like Blue Lamp or Blue Denim but the crowd wouldn't know them, which sucks because those songs are freaking awesome!
I have a different take. I think she did it when she fell into her fantasy world of being a big rock star. It would have been cool to do 1981-1989. But she had new material then to perform on stage. When her music career dried up and it was only concerts, performing Led Zeppelin made her feel cool and a rock queen. She did it for her not as a tribute to Zeppelin. When Heart did it all through the 80s it was their encore and tribute. It was not about them. She really wanted to be that rock star. If you recall that 1990 interview where she says she still gets knocked out in disbelief when a Fleetwood Mac song gets played between Led Zeppelin and The Who. Most of her crowd tolerates the song but its not their favorite. But its Stevie pretending she is the queen of rock. I bet Waddy talked her into it. He was the one that also twisted her arm into doing Crying In The Night on the 24k Gold Tour (her words from the stage).

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-01-2023 at 01:18 PM..
Old 07-01-2023, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I have a different take. I think she did it when she fell into her fantasy world of being a big rock star. It would have been cool to do 1981-1989. But she had new material then to perform on stage. When her music career dried up and it was only concerts, performing Led Zeppelin made her feel cool and a rock queen. She did it for her not as a tribute to Zeppelin. When Heart did it all through the 80s it was their encore and tribute. It was not about them. She really wanted to be that rock star. If you recall that 1990 interview where she says she still gets knocked out in disbelief when a Fleetwood Mac song gets played between Led Zeppelin and The Who. Most of her crowd tolerates the song but its not their favorite. But its Stevie pretending she is the queen of rock. I bet Waddy talked her into it. He was the one that also twisted her arm into doing Crying In The Night on the 24k Gold Tour (her words from the stage).
Spot on. She does Rock n Roll and Free Falling because they are guaranteed to go over with a big splash with the audience. Big showstoppers and she gets all the applause. The Free Falling thing is really gross at this point, she’s using it as the musical equivalent to a comedian using cheap jokes for easy laughs. She’s only interested in getting the arena rock audience response and her ego cannot handle people going to the bathroom during Blue Denim.

It’s ironic that she’s so quick to teather herself to other artists yet loves to preach that her solo success was built entirely on her own and she didn’t need anyone else’s help. It’s only a matter of time before circle dance and crash make a comeback!
Old 07-02-2023, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
It’s ironic that she’s so quick to teather herself to other artists yet loves to preach that her solo success was built entirely on her own and she didn’t need anyone else’s help.
Every night before she performs stop Draggin' she tells the audience she wouldn't have had a solo career if it weren't for Jimmy Iovine & Tom Petty. So you've gotten your current information wrong.
Old 07-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Every night before she performs stop Draggin' she tells the audience she wouldn't have had a solo career if it weren't for Jimmy Iovine & Tom Petty. So you've gotten your current information wrong.
Not to mention that she'd still be waiting tables, IF IT WEREN'T FOR LINDSEY F*CKING BUCKINGHAM!
Old 07-02-2023, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Not to mention that she'd still be waiting tables, IF IT WEREN'T FOR LINDSEY F*CKING BUCKINGHAM!
You'll recall she remembered that on the Fleetwood Mac tour before Christine's return with one of her speeches about how grateful she was.
Old 07-02-2023, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You'll recall she remembered that on the Fleetwood Mac tour before Christine's return with one of her speeches about how grateful she was.
She really is nuts.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh SO grateful until 2018.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
….and she hilariously invited herself to be in the heartbreakers multiple times, which Tom has even spoken about being relatively awkward.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s shocking that people still take anything she says seriously. “Oh she said this so it must be genuine” hmmm k.