User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Oh I just realized that I haven't said mine! It's really, really difficult for me to narrow mine down, but if I absolutely had to, I would say my favorite is...

Rhiannon: I feel really, REALLY cliche saying that, so for a long time I kinda denied my love for the song. When people ask me why I admire Stevie Nicks as much as I do, I want to play this song for them-- not because it is the absolute best music or writing I've ever heard, but because Stevie is, in my eyes, the earthly Rhiannon-- the one with the flaws and occaisonally a lack of subtlety. The song made me realize what attributes I want to aquire for myself, and then I further began to see them in the writer . I just LOVE the idea of being "taken by the sky," of being comparable to the mundane things in life ("cat in the dark") but being exquisitely distinct despite of that-- BECAUSE of that ("the darkness"). To rule one's life ("like a fine skylark") even when all the guiding light is gone and you're ruling unrecognizable terrain (starless sky)-- even when that terrain is inside of you. "Dreams unwind, love's a state of mind"... perfect.

A close second by...

Crystal: As a writer myself, I love seeing Stevie write as a poet before a songwriter. I don't think she does that much anymore (albeit "Illume", maybe, which I don't like as a song but I LOVE the imagery). "Crystal" is the prime example of Stevie's ability to make relatively common images blend in a way they haven't before. The lyrics make no sense, but they make total sense if you FEEL them, not analyze them. Plus, the last minute of the song is musically awe-inspiring. It revives my soul everytime I hear it.

The Chain: In the context of the band, it COMPLETELY blows my mind away every time I listen.

Silver Springs: The first Fleetwood Mac song I ever really really loved. I heard it when I was five years old . I used to sing it in the car with my mom since she played The Dance nonstop for all of 1997. The slightly crazy bitch aura of the ending lines ("time cast a spell on you...") is so honest. I remember realizing (yes, at 5) the unbelievably sense of raw truth behind those words. I see The Dance performance as Stevie's "turning over a new leaf" experience with Lindsey-- as if she was finally admitting to him that they would always have something phenomenal and there will always be that pent up resentment, but now that the air is cleared for good, they could move on.

Beautiful Child: Need I say anything? Obviously the song is gorgeous. I first heard it while I was in the throes of growing up WAY too fast, so the timing and subject matter has stuck to my bones forever.

Sisters of the Moon: Kinda along the same lines as why I love "Rhiannon".

I apologize for how long this is.... hahaha
Ugh, it was painful to cut "Thrown Down", "Big Love (The Dance Version)", "Angel", "Gold Dust Woman" and "Say Goodbye". I could list soooo many...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
I only like about 5% of "today's" music. Please take me back to the '60s/'70s!

Just for fun, I'll post my artists list from my Music section of Facebook too:
Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, The Eagles (those are my top 3 - now they're just alphabetical):
Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Bad Company, David Gilmour, Derek & the Dominos, Doobie Brothers, Eric Clapton, Foreigner, Heart, James Taylor, Journey, Lindsey Buckingham, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty.

^That's seriously all that I listen to. My friends don't quite get the same enjoyment of the kind of music that I like. They like rap songs that are 3 minutes even with a catchy beat. They would never listen to a 13 minute jam by, say, the Allman Brothers. I don't think most people have the attention span to appreciate truly good music anymore.
I love all of the bands you listed. My music section on Facebook got REALLY ridiculous at one point so I cut out a lot of it, including many of your favorites. I need to re-edit it -- so out of date.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Favorite Mac Songs

1. The Chain (their masterpiece, "damn your love, damn your lies")
2. Crystal (though the Buckingham Nicks version is 100x better than the Mac's -- check out the difference in those joint vocal parts)
3. Walk A Thin Line (Lindsey's life story in 4 minutes?)
4. Rhiannon ("she lives her life like a fine skylark and when the sky is starless," Largo 1975 version)
5. That's All For Everyone (check out the last minute and a half)
6. Dreams [live version from official video (Midnight Special, I think?) is the one]
7. Monday Morning (Stevie's harmonies are great; perfect pop song without the machismo of, say, Go Your Own Way)
8. Oh Well (great lyrics and Lindsey sings and plays the h-ll out of it)
9. Gypsy (live acoustic version at 2000 benefit concert)
10. That's Alright (demo version is best)

Last edited by cbBen; 08-01-2009 at 08:21 AM..
Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I'm pretty sure Liam was being facetious.
OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to color me completely lame!!!! Just a little slow on the uptake on that one!!

Must be the impending birth of my daughter that has me out of touch with reality just a bit!!

Looking at the original post now, it's ridiculously obvious that Liam was being facetious. Had I not had my mind on other things, I'd probably have noticed it and posted some humorous response. "Oh Well"!!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll start with Then Play On because I feel like it.

Then Play On: Before The Beginning, Oh Well, Closing My Eyes
Kiln House: Blood On The Floor
Future Games: Future Games
Bare Trees: Bare Trees, Dust
Penguin: Nightwatch
Mystery To Me: Why, Hypnotized
White Album: Blue Letter, World Turning
Rumours: The Chain, Go Your Own Way
Tusk: I Know I'm Not Wrong, Walk A Thin Line
Mirage: That's Alright, Hold Me, Oh Diane
Tango In The Night: Family Man, Little Lies, Big Love
Behind The Mask: When It Comes To Love, Hard Feelings, Freedom
Time: Dreamin' The Dream, Winds Of Change
Say You Will: Silver Girl, Thrown Down, Destiny Rules

Matt
Old 07-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
I only like about 5% of "today's" music. Please take me back to the '60s/'70s!

Just for fun, I'll post my artists list from my Music section of Facebook too:
Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, The Eagles (those are my top 3 - now they're just alphabetical):
Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Bad Company, David Gilmour, Derek & the Dominos, Doobie Brothers, Eric Clapton, Foreigner, Heart, James Taylor, Journey, Lindsey Buckingham, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty.

^That's seriously all that I listen to. My friends don't quite get the same enjoyment of the kind of music that I like. They like rap songs that are 3 minutes even with a catchy beat. They would never listen to a 13 minute jam by, say, the Allman Brothers. I don't think most people have the attention span to appreciate truly good music anymore.
I totally feel you on that one...my friends don't get why I like "old people" music. (That is a direct quote) I don't think music belongs to one generation or another. I'm not going to completely ignore certain music just because my parents listen to it too. When I was younger, I was so busy trying to find music that my parents hated...now I could kick myself in the a$$ for not recognizing how dumb that was.

I think music back then had a lot more sincerity and was more than just a catchy single. I can somehow connect more with a record that was made 10-20 years before I was born than with anything today! Don't get me wrong, I like some of today's music...but what I like certainly isn't being played on top 40

my facebook music list:
Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Bob Welch, Christine McVie, and Buckingham Nicks DUHHHH!!!

the rest:
The Rolling Stones, The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Neil Young, Bloc Party, My Morning Jacket, BRMC, Steely Dan, Natalie Merchant, Etta James, Klaxons, Boston, Allman Bros, The Band, Blondie, Springsteen, Goldfrapp, , Dave Matthews Band, The Eagles, Fort Knox Five, Mutemath, Genesis, Iron and Wine, The Shins, Morningwood, Heart, INXS, Kings of Leon, The Horrors, James Gang, Hendrix, John Mellancamp, Kasabian, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Motion City Soundtrack, Patsy Cline, Pink Floyd, Queen, Richard Swift, Rush, ELO, Sheryl Crow, Spiderbait, The Supremes, Thin Lizzy, Vampire Weekend, Walter Egan, The Who, Velvet Undergroud, and many more...

Last edited by golddustdrummer; 07-22-2009 at 01:44 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=golddustdrummer;832231

the rest:
The Rolling Stones, The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Neil Young, Bloc Party, My Morning Jacket, BRMC, Steely Dan, Natalie Merchant, Etta James, Klaxons, Boston, Allman Bros, The Band, Blondie, Springsteen, Goldfrapp, , Dave Matthews Band, The Eagles, Fort Knox Five, Mutemath, Genesis, Iron and Wine, The Shins, Morningwood, Heart, INXS, Kings of Leon, The Horrors, James Gang, Hendrix, John Mellancamp, Kasabian, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Motion City Soundtrack, Patsy Cline, Pink Floyd, Queen, Richard Swift, Rush, ELO, Sheryl Crow, Spiderbait, The Supremes, Thin Lizzy, Vampire Weekend, Walter Egan, The Who, Velvet Undergroud, and many more...[/QUOTE]

We are the same person. I adore 80% of those bands and at least like the rest.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Dancing in the space of time

Favourite official song: The purple dancer (studio version).

Favourite FM song of all time: Got a good mind to give up living (a.k.a. All over again); the version from January 4, 1970. Composer: Carl B. Adams.
Peter Green never played a better guitar solo (yes, Fleetwood Mac got me hooked on blues)...
Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I love all of the bands you listed. My music section on Facebook got REALLY ridiculous at one point so I cut out a lot of it, including many of your favorites. I need to re-edit it -- so out of date.
This is what I have listed on fb under my music section: FLEETWOOD MAC, STEVIE NICKS, Elvis Presley, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, The Eagles, Journey, Blondie, Heart, The Beatles, ACDC, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, The Fray, ABBA, Rob Thomas, Matchbox Twenty, Coldplay, The Clash, The Cure, Aerosmith, Prince, Queen, Billy Joel, Elton John, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, A*Teens, Simple Minds, Paramore, The B-52's, REM, The Steve Miller Band, Tupac, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Oasis

My friends generally groan when its my turn to pick the music on road trips. They all love rap music.. And most of them do not like classic rock. Its hard for me to get into what they all listen to.

Ok I've been avoiding to this thread because its going to be hard to keep this short. From the white album: Rhiannon, Crystal, Landslide, I'm So Afraid, Say You Love Me. Rumours: Never Going Back Again, Dreams, Silver Springs, Songbird, Go Your Own Way, Gold Dust Woman, The Chain. Tusk: Walk a Thin Line, Save Me a Place, SARA!, Storms, Sisters Of The Moon, Angel, Beautiful Child, Honey Hi, Brown Eyes, Tusk, I Know I'm Not Wrong. Mirage: Gypsy, Eyes of the World, Love in Store, Can't Go Back, Straight Back, That's Alright, Book of Love. Tango in the Night: Caroline, Welcome to the Room... Sara, Seven Wonders, Big Love, Little Lies, Isn't It Midnight. Say You Will: Thrown Down, Miranda, Peacekeeper, Running Through the Garden, Everybody Finds Out, Bleed To Love Her, Goodbye Baby.

And I love most LIVE verisons of these songs. And I failed at trying to make this short, yet I feel I left some many out!

Last edited by ILoveFM; 07-23-2009 at 12:39 AM..
Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok Danielle here it is. I can't name every song I love cause there are too many, but some standout cuts would be:
Say You Love Me, Warm Ways, Sugar Daddy, Blue Letter
Gold Dust Woman
The Ledge, Save Me A Place, Sara, Honey Hi, Beautiful Child, Walk A Thin Line, Tusk, Never Forget
Fireflies
Straight Back, Empire State, That's Alright, Eyes Of The World
Caroline, Mystified, Family Man, Seven Wonders, Little Lies, Tango In The Night
Freedom
Paaper Doll, Make Me A Mask, Love Shines & that other great new track of Christines--you guy's are gonna make fun of me but I can't remember the title right now-
Murrow Turning Over In His Grave, Illume, Running Through The Garden, Steal Your Heart Away(this should have been the albums title IMO) & Everybody Finds Out

Photobucket
Thank you to Sanne2 for this photo!

Last edited by vivfox; 07-23-2009 at 10:35 PM..
Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I'm pretty sure I haven't commented on this topic yet -- I've just been reading all of you guys' lists!

My picks are songs that I can literally listen to 10 times in one day and not want to press the next button on my computer/iPod.

So here goes, by studio album, starting with 1975:

Fleetwood Mac:
-Blue Letter
-Rhiannon
-Say You Love Me
-Landslide

Rumours:
-Dreams
-You Make Loving Fun
-Gold Dust Woman
-Silver Springs (R.I.P. lol)

Tusk:
-Over and Over (am I the only one who LOVES this song?!)
-Think About Me
-Sara
-What Makes You Think You're the One
-Storms
-Sisters of the Moon
-Angel
-Beautiful Child

Mirage:
-Love in Store
-That's Alright (loveeeee this song!)
-Gypsy
-Straight Back

Tango:
-Seven Wonders
-Isn't It Midnight

Say You Will:
-Thrown Down
-Say You Will (why does everybody hate this song? I really like it for some unknown reason!)
-Steal Your Heart Away
-Say Goodbye and Goodbye Baby
Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

[QUOTE=vivfox;832608]Love Shines & that other great new track of Christines--you guy's are gonna make fun of me but I can't remember the title right now-

I promise not to make fun of you.

I think the track you are thinking of is "Heart of Stone".
Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=sjpdg;832627]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Love Shines & that other great new track of Christines--you guy's are gonna make fun of me but I can't remember the title right now-

I promise not to make fun of you.

I think the track you are thinking of is "Heart of Stone".
Yes!! That's it! I LOVE that song. Funny I couldn't remember that title as I think that is one of the best songs Chris has ever written.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Ok Danielle here it is. I can't name every song I love cause there are too many, but some standout cuts would be:
Say You Love Me, Warm Ways, Sugar Daddy, Blue Letter
Gold Dust Woman
The Ledge, Save Me A Place, Sara, Honey Hi, Beautiful Child, Walk A Thin Line, Tusk, Never Forget
Fireflies
Straight Back, Empire State, That's Alright, Eyes Of The World
Caroline, Mystified, Family Man, Seven Wonders, Little Lies, Tango In The Night
Freedom
Paper Doll, Make Me A Mask, Love Shines & that other great new track of Christines--you guy's are gonna make fun of me but I can't remember the title right now-
Murrow Turning Over In His Grave, Illume, Running Through The Garden, Steal Your Heart Away(this should have been the albums title IMO) & Everybody Finds Out

Photobucket
Thank you to Sanne2 for this photo!
I knew you'd do it!

I love seeing someone else who appreciates "Murrow". I think it is an INCREDIBLY well done song and its one of my favorites to play full blast in my car.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You guys have inspired me to do this by album.... And I'm going to include Buckingham Nicks.... because I feel like it. So there.

Buckingham Nicks: "Crystal", "Long Distance Winner", "Frozen Love"
Fleetwood Mac: It's all amazing BUT "Rhiannon", "Crystal" (again), "World Turning", "I'm So Afraid"
Rumours: Must I pick favorites?!?!? "Second Hand News", "Songbird", "Silver Springs" (yes, I count it as a part of Rumours, thanks), "The Chain", "Gold Dust Woman"
Tusk: "Sara", "Angel", "Sister of the Moon", "Beautiful Child", "Tusk"... I HATE CUTTING SONGS OUT!
Mirage: "Gypsy", "Straight Back"
Tango In the Night: "Big Love", "Seven Wonders" (when I'm in the mood), "Tango In the Night", "Family Man", "Isn't It Midnight"
Behind the Mask: ....meh. "Affairs of the Heart"?
Time: I have never listened to a single song off this album. Does that make me a bad fan?
The Dance: I can't lie, I adore "Sweet Girl"
Say You Will: "Murrow Turning Over In His Grave", "Thrown Down", "Red Rover", "Running Through the Garden", "Everybody Finds Out", "Destiny Rules", "Say Goodbye", "Goodbye Baby"

...chiffonhead? What are you talking about?