Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 AM

35 Years Ago: Pat Benatar Triumphs Over Turmoil With ‘Crimes of Passion’
By Jeff Giles August 5, 2015 8:30 AM

Recording Crimes of Passion, however, was far from simple. Although they’d enjoyed recording In the Heat of the Night with producer Peter Coleman, Benatar and Giraldo found themselves directed by their label, Chrysalis, into partnering up with former Fleetwood Mac producer Keith Olsen for the follow-up. As Benatar told UCR, she and Giraldo had to fight twice as hard for their vision.
“[Olsen] was a fine guy, whatever, but I mean, he was just the wrong dude,” Benatar asserted. “It was great, because [Giraldo] basically had to step in, because I was in hell and I couldn’t work with [Olsen]. I was so used to Peter and I wanted to be with him and I wanted to be with [Giraldo]. He’d learned so much from Peter Coleman while we were working with him, so it was a great thing, even though it was hellish, it really opened the door for [Giraldo] to start producing on his own. He went in there and saved the record.”
“It was really pivotal, because we had made one record and this was about to be the sophomore jinx,” added Giraldo. “None of us felt like that, but it was really difficult.”
As Giraldo remembers it, those tensions came to a head early on — in fact, he related a story from the sessions for “Hell Is for Children,” which he thinks was the first song they tracked for the LP.
“[Olsen] gave me the keys to his car. He said, ‘Here, I’m going to work on the vocal a little bit, you can take the keys and the car and go have a good time,’” recalled Giraldo. “So I took his Porsche and Patricia’s sitting on the floor crying, going, ‘I can’t deal with this guy, listen to what I just did’ and I listened and I went, ‘Uh-oh.’ That was the end of that,” he laughed. “I never got the keys again.”
Those sorts of snafus have always been common for young artists, particularly women, but neither Olsen’s imprint nor cheesecake press photos had a negative impact on Crimes of Passion‘s sales performance — by early 1981, John Lennon‘s Double Fantasy was the only thing keeping it out of the top spot, and in the summer of ’81, she was back with her third album, Precious Time, which did go to No. 1. She’d stay at or near the top of the charts for the remainder of the decade.

Read More: 35 Years Ago: Pat Benatar Triumphs Over Turmoil With 'Crimes of Passion' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pat-b...ckback=tsmclip
Old 08-05-2015, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a Sound Selector article on David Devore

Sound Selector

Polson-based multi-platinum producer David Devore reflects on career in music industry

By Tristan Scott // Aug 4, 2015

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2015/08/04/sound-selector/

Devore’s resume spans decades and includes working with industry heavyweights Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Grateful Dead, REO Speedwagon, Ringo Starr, and Survivor, among others. And while the behind-the-scenes role of a producer or sound engineer doesn’t garner the glitz and glamour of a hit musician, his ability to coax studio performances out of a band is legendary, and the intimacy of the relationships he developed with them a testament to his talent.

At Sound City, Devore began working with Keith Olsen, a Grammy-winning record producer and sound engineer.

Together, they engineered Fleetwood Mac’s self-titled album, the first record to feature Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, who joined the group after Olsen played Mick Fleetwood a song the duo had written.

Released in July 1975, the album yielded three top-20 singles and went on to sell 4 million copies. It also became Fleetwood Mac’s first number one album in the United States.

“Lindsey and Stevie were an incredible addition to the band. It was a turning point,” Devore said.

It was a turning point for Devore, too, as the list of artists he was recording grew to include Elton John, Foreigner and the Grateful Dead.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a Nuvo article about Jax on American Idol By Katherine Coplen]

http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/jax...nt?oid=3382043

On sneaking off Idol's set:

"I saw Fleetwood [Mac] in the middle of the Idol season. That was like the one thing I actually got to do on my day off. I stepped out of the bubble and basically just casually walked up to the front row with the security guards because they knew who I was. They were like, 'Hey, let's go up to the front row.' And I was like, 'Oh my god, perks. This is insane.' I was crying. I was with my dad; I got to take him along. ... I got freaked out when they started playing 'Rhiannon' because that's I'm been singing to for such a long time. To hear it live was nuts. I was fangirling."
Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stuff Co. NZ, Five Artists that Got You Hooked

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...got-you-hooked

SIMON SWEETMAN , August 12, 2015

couple of weeks back we had some friends over for Friday fish'n'chips and a few drinks. A wee end of the week party that included a "show" in Oscar's room where he picked the music and danced and performed - and then, when he was asleep, we listened to a bit of music in the background and had our drinks and chats. Pretty standard. In our world, anyway.

And one of our friends, who I'll refer to her as Bronny (since that's her name) asked me a bunch of questions about music and writing and music-writing. And though I never mind answering those sorts of questions - favourite subject/occupational hazard - she threw down a very simple, enormous challenge. Name the five artists that had mean the most to me; been the biggest influence - the reason(s) I loved music. Not just a Top Five favourites, but the five most important...

You read these sorts of Top Fives and wonder why the person has decided to try to sound cool...there's no way Cabaret Voltaire was quite that important in their life; they discovered Kraftwerk in their 20s, not in their teens and it was The Rolling Stones they remember from the age of five, not The Smiths.

I love a good list. And particularly one where any ideas around "being cool" are off in the distance. That's probably the case with any list I make. And that's also just fine. So, here's the list I rattled off on that night. Can't say I'd ever really thought about the five acts that I considered lifelong hooks; gateways and such.

3. Fleetwood Mac - I really do love all versions of this band. The blues band. The stadium pop act. And the "lost years" in between are, currently, the most interesting to me. A half-dozen albums there when the band was between Peter Green and Lindsey Buckingham, when the sadly underrated Bob Welch was a crucial part of the sound. The soap-opera story that clings to this band is part of the appeal, certainly. It's fascinating. But I love all of the music. And the "Fleetwood Mac at 21" documentary that first taught me about the 'other' versions of the band is a big reason I've been forever hooked on music docos, bios and biopics.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom SemioliBecome Huffington Post, 8/12/2015

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-se...b_7972642.html

[excerpt from article about John Ashton and Robert Capowski]

One Legend Leads to Another for Capowski's Wild Animals

"I'd grown up listening to a fair amount of folk and acoustic based rock from the 1970s ...early T-Rex, Neil Young, Bob Dylan...and once Bob (Capowski) and I met we discovered we had a lot of other musical styles in common. We both share a love of all things Fleetwood Mac, especially the early stuff as well as the rare Buckingham-Nicks record that Bob actually owns on vinyl! We also share a lot of the same type of dry humor." John Ashton
Old 08-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from an article on Fred's House]

By Cambridge News | Posted: August 20, 2015

Read more: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Fred...#ixzz3jVvc74HI
Follow us: @CambridgeNewsUK on Twitter | cambridgenews on Facebook

2 Describe your sound/style in a nutshell

We take a lot of our inspiration from 70s folk bands like Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Crosby Stills and Nash, Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles I suppose. A lot of those sounds that were around at that time. That ends up incorporating a bit of folk, a bit of rock, a bit of country, a bit of blues, a bit of everything. We like to think we put our own twist on it and make it modern – that's the idea!

7 A dream collaboration would be?

Griff would probably say Paul McCartney. It would be amazing to write something new to duet with Stevie Nicks.

Read more: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Fred...#ixzz3jVvtD8Wv
Follow us: @CambridgeNewsUK on Twitter | cambridgenews on Facebook
Old 09-02-2015, 03:29 PM

8 Things You Didn’t Know About the Concert for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

This was the final concert held at Cleveland Municipal Stadium

Although the cavernous baseball and football stadium was demolished in November 1996, it was also a rock 'n' roll mecca that had previously hosted large-scale concerts by U2, the Who and the Beatles. In the '70s, it was also the site of a popular summer concert series known as the World Series of Rock, which featured nearly every major classic rock act going, including AC/DC, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones and Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band.

Read More: 8 Things You Didn't Know About the Concert for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-...ckback=tsmclip
Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Long before MTV, Norman was filming his sessions with artists.
These seminal, never-before-seen conversations and performances will soon be available online to the public.
Fleetwood Mac in '78 seen here with Johnny his longtime cameraman.

Source

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.

Last edited by Danielle; 09-02-2015 at 08:27 PM..
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article about a Crowded House song being used for Syrian refugees]

The Guardian UK by Pete Paphides, 9/10/2015

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...yrian-refugees

When Fleetwood Mac perform Silver Springs now, it takes on the form of both a karmic pasting issued by Stevie Nicks to Lindsey Buckingham and an apology from the band who elected, against her wishes, to omit it from the album Rumours. It’s hard not to feel like an intruder when you see Nicks eyeball her ex-lover and sing: “You’ll never get away from the sound of the woman that loved you.” The best songs transcend the limitations of their authors and display a wisdom often lost on the people who created them. I fear we’ve lost the Morrissey who once sang, “It takes guts to be gentle and kind”, but we still have the bands who hardwired the humanity of his early songs into their outlook: bands such as British Sea Power, whose Waving Flags exhorts new émigrés from eastern Europe to “welcome in/From across the Vistula/You’ve come so very far”.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Female First UK article on 10 Best Festival Moments, September 9, 2015

Read more: http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/music/f...#ixzz3lP1uQBzO

Making their first ever appearance at the legendary Isle of Wight Festival, the recently-reunited English-American quintet FLEETWOOD MAC stormed the Main Stage to deliver a performance that topped even BLUR's from the previous night. Christine McVie and company lapped up the acclaim in what may well be the highlight of possibly their final ever tour.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 PM

This Day in Rock History: September 12
By Zach Martin September 12, 2015 7:59 AM

On this day in rock history, Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie left Fleetwood Mac following the conclusion of the Behind the Mask tour. The two returned in 1997, although McVie left again shortly thereafter.

A whole slew of albums have come out on Sept. 12 over the years. In 1975, Pink Floyd released Wish You Were Here, their tribute to founding member Syd Barrett, and Thin Lizzy put out Fighting. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), David Bowie‘s last record for RCA, featured “Ashes to Ashes,” his sequel to “Space Oddity.” Aerosmith‘s proved their comeback was no fluke with Pump.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers followed up their smash hit Blood Sugar Sex Magik with 1995′s One Hot Minute. A four-CD boxed set by the Jimi Hendrix Experience surfaced. The compilation consisted entirely of previously unreleased studio and live takes recorded between 1966 and 1970. Paul McCartney‘s Chaos and Creation in the Backyard found him playing nearly all of the instruments himself and working with Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich. Death Metallic saw Metallica return to their thrash metal roots.

And we also wish a happy birthday to Neil Peart. The celebrated drummer and lyricist for Rush was born in 1952.

Watch an exciting recap of many of the day’s biggest rock anniversaries above, narrated by our radio host Zach Martin. And learn more about these important events by clicking the links below.

News Anniversaries:
Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks leave Fleetwood Mac (1990)

Album Anniversaries:
Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here (1975)
Thin Lizzy, Fighting (1975)
David Bowie, Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (1980)
Aerosmith, Pump (1989)
Red Hot Chili Peppers, One Hot Minute (1995)
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (2000)
Paul McCartney, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (2005)
Metallica, Death Magnetic (2008)

Birthdays:
Neil Peart (1952)

Read More: This Day in Rock History: September 12 | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/septe...ckback=tsmclip
Old 09-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

A neat little cover of Dreams by The Shires for a session for BBC Radio Scotland.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 09-18-2015, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

13 December 2012 Guardian Interview with Frank Ocean: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...=ILCMUSTXT9386

Finally, tell me which albums you've enjoyed this year.

Hmm. Let me see what I have. I thought Norah Jones made a really good record. I thought Kendrick Lamar made a cool record. I thought John Mayer made a really good record. Speaking of new records, you know who needs to make a new album? I think Fleetwood Mac needs to make a new album. I think so. I think they do.

Without Christine McVie, though? Stevie said she won't be coming back.

That could pose a problem. I didn't know she wouldn't come back. You just educated me.

She moved back to England in the 90s and gave it all up.

That sounds like some **** I would do! No. I'm not on any retirement kick.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[excerpt from article on Baeble Music blog]

http://www.baeblemusic.com/musicblog...thin-lear.html

Baeble Blog, The Baeble Next: The Baroque Rock Revivalism Of Thin Lear

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2015|Posted by: Don Saas

Classic rock revivalism is en vogue at the moment. The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Alabama Shakes, Foxygen. The thing is...90% of these bands want to emulate the cocksure swagger of hard rock. Everybody wants to be Robert Plant or Pete Townsend. A trend of folks that want to channel Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham is arriving and that warms my Fleetwood Mac loving heart. But you rarely hear about artists that are inspired by The Kinks.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Laura Whitmore designs bracelet engraved with YMLF]

by Bridie Wilkins, 9/29/2015 Look Magazine

It’s so personal! How about the engravings, what do they mean?

They’re either lyrics or quotes. One says ‘believe to achieve’ because you need to believe in yourself if you want to get anywhere. If you don’t believe in yourself how is anyone else meant to? ‘You make loving fun’ is a Fleetwood Mac lyric. It took me ages to pick the quotes because I was thinking, would a guy wear it? would your sister wear it? – there are romantic ones, friendship ones and then empowering ones that you can buy as a present for yourself. I really like ‘you’re lovely’ – you can forget to compliment people and this does that for you. Someone said it to me once and I just remember thinking it was really nice.

Read more at http://www.look.co.uk/fashion/laura-...hB6Rb8D0ipi.99