The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As for the play, this is from a November 1984 interview Lindsey gave Rock Magazine:
Quote:
For the present, says the intense, loquacious Buckingham, "I want to learn to rely on myself as much as possible. I've always had a discipline musically; I want to establish more of a discipline in my day to day life." He has also been contacted recently about starring opposite Linda Ronstadt in a Broadway production of the opera La Boheme this fall.

"I've always been fairly altruistic about my duties with Fleetwood Mac. Right now, I'm being a little less altruistic."
Here is a thread on the subject. http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=20657

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 01-04-2013 at 10:47 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
10. In 1984, Lindsey was contacted about starring opposite Linda Ronstadt on Broadway in what musical production?

LA BOHEME
La Boheme?????? wow.

EDIT: i see from that old thread there may have been some misinfo in there somewhere.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 01-04-2013 at 11:14 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just listened to "You Can't Make Love" - In what way did he collaborate with Henley? Did he provide guitar parts, some backing vocals (I couldn't tell)? I never knew about this, that just seems so bizarre to me lol
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Collaboration with Henley

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
I just listened to "You Can't Make Love" - In what way did he collaborate with Henley? Did he provide guitar parts, some backing vocals (I couldn't tell)? I never knew about this, that just seems so bizarre to me lol
Yes, guitar riff and backing vocals. Some of LB's best work collaborating outside of FM, in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Yes, guitar riff and backing vocals. Some of LB's best work collaborating outside of FM, in my opinion.
And Walls (Circus) with Tom Petty just sounds great. Tom says he just let Lindsey do whatever he wanted with the background arrangement. Spectacular.

Michele
Old 01-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

amazing, I actually really like You Can't Make Love - better than some of the other songs on that album, but they overplay The Boys of Summer even to this day imho...
Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
amazing, I actually really like You Can't Make Love - better than some of the other songs on that album, but they overplay The Boys of Summer even to this day imho...
yeah wasn't there some very recent punkish version of the boys of summer being played on a radio few months ago? sounding much better than Henley and his hollow voice of course

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah wasn't there some very recent punkish version of the boys of summer being played on a radio few months ago? sounding much better than Henley and his hollow voice of course
Haha! I didn't hear this new version, but I can imagine it sounded a bit more fresh than the worn and tired soft rock standby

I'm a baby, so forgive me, but does anyone know how such a collaboration would have even happened? I'm not really aware of Lindsey's relationship with any of the Eagles. Is this like Eric Clapton and George Harrison being friends? My brain just can't conceive of such things, if it was my life lol - But hey, maybe they are all a lot more healthier than me
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a baby, so forgive me, but does anyone know how such a collaboration would have even happened? I'm not really aware of Lindsey's relationship with any of the Eagles. Is this like Eric Clapton and George Harrison being friends? My brain just can't conceive of such things, if it was my life lol - But hey, maybe they are all a lot more healthier than me
You know, Lindsey and Don weren't exactly rivals. I don't think he was ever friends with Henley, but FM and the Eagles always traveled in the same circles, on parallel lines, so to speak. They were at Stevie's Arizona Heart Institute fund raiser together too. Don had participated before, but that was the first time Lindsey was there.

Michele
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You know, Lindsey and Don weren't exactly rivals. I don't think he was ever friends with Henley, but FM and the Eagles always traveled in the same circles, on parallel lines, so to speak. They were at Stevie's Arizona Heart Institute fund raiser together too. Don had participated before, but that was the first time Lindsey was there.

Michele
Oh yeah, I don't mean to say there was any real animosity, and I totally get that they ran in the same circles, but still...I guess I just see them as being very different people, musically and otherwise, so to find they collaborated is surprising to me. I'm a bit less thrown by Tom Petty for some reason, maybe because of Tom's involvement with different artists, as he did with The Traveling Wilburys.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a bit less thrown by Tom Petty for some reason, maybe because of Tom's involvement with different artists, as he did with The Traveling Wilburys.
I guess it's easy to get Lindsey to work with you. Like if you're Vanessa Carlton and he's working in the studio right across from yours, you just pull him in and he'll play guitar. So, Lindsey did it when people asked, but who are the people he might have loved to work with, but they didn't ask and he was not the type to make the first move. Except for John Stewart, I don't think he got to really work with people whose work he liked the most.

Unfortunately, Brian wasn't in the right state of mind. But what about the Stones. Lindsey went through that phase. While he was recording all of those covers of theirs, what if he'd actually worked with them? I can't imagine what kind of creations might have emerged.

Lindsey did a little scottish accent, laughing at what Donovan Leitch's reaction to LB's "Try for the Sun" might have been, but what if Donovan had been so taken that he'd called Lindsey up and asked to work with him? It definitely would have been interesting to dream of the collaborations of which he could have been part.

Michele
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guess it's easy to get Lindsey to work with you. Like if you're Vanessa Carlton and he's working in the studio right across from yours, you just pull him in and he'll play guitar. So, Lindsey did it when people asked, but who are the people he might have loved to work with, but they didn't ask and he was not the type to make the first move. Except for John Stewart, I don't think he got to really work with people whose work he liked the most.

Unfortunately, Brian wasn't in the right state of mind. But what about the Stones. Lindsey went through that phase. While he was recording all of those covers of theirs, what if he'd actually worked with them? I can't imagine what kind of creations might have emerged.

Lindsey did a little scottish accent, laughing at what Donovan Leitch's reaction to LB's "Try for the Sun" might have been, but what if Donovan had been so taken that he'd called Lindsey up and asked to work with him? It definitely would have been interesting to dream of the collaborations of which he could have been part.

Michele
Haha, aw true! We know how hard it is for him to put down that guitar. I forgot about the Vanessa Carlton thing.

If he had gotten the chance to collaborate with more people he looked up to, I think amazing things would have come from them. Like you said, I think he needs to be asked. I love that video of The Kingston Trio Family & Friends, he seems so in his element! I feel happy for him that he was able to do that, and got to work with John It's too bad about Brian, if his health had been better, ugh I don't even want to think about the missed possibilities

I just get this underdog vibe from him, that maybe he partly enjoys. He said that the one man show was something he's always wanted to do; I think there is something about being a loner artist type that just doesn't set him up for collaborations with say The Stones.

Last edited by KindOfWoman90; 01-06-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But what about the Stones. Lindsey went through that phase. While he was recording all of those covers of theirs, what if he'd actually worked with them? I can't imagine what kind of creations might have emerged.
Remember that scene in CAH's book when she describes Lindsey's introduction to Mick Jagger? Perhaps that is the reason MJ would never have wanted anything to do with LB.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Side note, I'd really love to hear this cut of Blue Monday!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Side note, I'd really love to hear this cut of Blue Monday!
try this http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0kkltcn3q757j4m (that's the only one i can find among my files)