UTS 4 20.00%
GOS 4 20.00%
SWS 4 20.00%
OMS 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default favorite solo tour?

5 LB solo tours, from 1992/93 through 2012, ranging in band size from 10 people through 4 people to just LB (Small Machine is getting smaller ) -

OOTC
UTS
GOS
SWS
OMS

please jump in and discuss which ones you saw, why you liked some tours better than others, and what is your pick for the favorite one.

i just saw 2 last tours - SWS and OMS.

during SWS i did not particularly like the acoustic part, except SUD opener, and i couldn't wait for him to get to the rocking part starting with IOOT. i loved loved loved the rocking part of the show, all through the encores.

with OMS i loved every. single. song. it was intense. it was raw. it was rocking.

if i single out some songs that were played on both tours, i would say every single acoustic song (other than BL which was the same) was much better during OMS. even though NGBA was the only song i could do without, it was 1000 times better during OMS then SWS tour. ISA was spectacular completely alone with that funky backing track, and it just went through your core.

the only song that was much much better during SWS tour was GYOW - this song, if not done acoustically, has to be done with a band to be great (my favorite recent version is probably still LB + LBT version - just spectacular!), but i understand why he felt he had to put it in the OMS setlist, and it was much better than i thought it would be. it was a complete hit or miss, depending on the amount of LB's stage movement and audience participation. but when audience was participating it was a fantastic love fest between Lindsey and the audience that it has become during the last decades (i guess?).

i hope he reworks and adds more rocking songs on his next OMS tour, and can't wait to hear what he'll come up with. however much i loved OMS, i still think setlist was too short.

i know many expected him to do a regular acoustic tour when people heard he will be touring completely solo, and many were disappointed when they heard he threw in 3 electric / rocking songs, instead of just doing an acoustic tour like everybody else does (i guess people like rules?! ). considering my preference for rocking songs to begin with, i was worried that i would be bored and the show would be too much of a hushed affair when he does everything acoustically, but i was going to see some shows anyway and form my opinion after that. as the first show was going on and people started tweeted snippets of the songs, i was completely shocked and ecstatic to see him holding a M1 and hear that he was actually playing Come!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I can't really pick which tour I liked best -- aside from this most recent one being last in my ranking. From a pure setlist perspective, I liked the GOS songs best and I liked the UTS songs least. BUT when the UTS tour happened, I didn't have SWS or GOS to compare it to and I thought the UTS tour was spectacular at the time. Only in retrospect can I say that I liked the next two more. Judging each from the contemporaneous pleasure I got out of them then, then I guess they were equal.

Michele
i agree with liking UTS tour songs the least. of course he did occasional BTLH, Rodeo (or was that during GOS?), SMAP or Bwana then so that was a bonus, but UTS songs he picked to perform as a regular part of his setlist were not my favorite from that album. i don't think i heard Red Rover version from that tour, although i know he played it (there is that soundcheck where he plays it in one of his UTS tour videos... or was that GOS? i'm getting mixed up. btw he really needs to play Red Rover and To Try For The Sun if/when he does next OMS tour!!).

i'm not sure which setlist i like the best - possibly GOS, although maybe OOTC songs would be a strong contender too, especially This Is The Time with guitar wars, You Do Or You Don't, Doing What I Can were all out-of-this-world performances from what i could see on youtube. and SWS setlist was pretty great, although i would personally get rid of Trouble, Treason, AMS, and UTS, and wish he did his acoustic set in the manner he did those songs during OMS. OMS, except way too short setlist, every song was perfect, except i would get rid of Trouble, of course. so maybe SWS setlist was the best / my favorite?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I've only been to SWS and OMS tours - so OMS got my vote!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

i'm not sure which setlist i like the best - possibly GOS, although maybe OOTC songs would be a strong contender too, especially This Is The Time with guitar wars, You Do Or You Don't, Doing What I Can were all out-of-this-world performances from what i could see on youtube. and SWS setlist was pretty great, although i would personally get rid of Trouble, Treason, AMS, and UTS, and wish he did his acoustic set in the manner he did those songs during OMS. OMS, except way too short setlist, every song was perfect, except i would get rid of Trouble, of course. so maybe SWS setlist was the best / my favorite?
I did attend two OOTC shows, but it was so long ago and I wasn't online then and wasn't writing things down to help me remember first impressions, so I can't really judge that in the same way as I can these last ones. I do remember loving Doing What I Can and I think I liked it most, because it came as a surprise. I didn't think too much of it on the album at all, so I was taken aback that it was a concert stand out. Also, it was the first time I'd seen Lindsey outside of FM and didn't really know what he would be like alone even though I liked him as a solo artist on record, so I kind of had stars in my eyes.

Michele
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've only been to OMS, so my vote is OMS But I think it would be my favorite anyway because I really liked what he did with a lot of the songs, many of them are now my favorite versions (CAD, BTLH, ISA, Come).
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
I've only been to OMS, so my vote is OMS But I think it would be my favorite anyway because I really liked what he did with a lot of the songs, many of them are now my favorite versions (CAD, BTLH, ISA, Come).
Mine too - even if I'd seen all the tours! I just adore him totally on his own!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up

too hard basket, I loved seeing all the band up there for SWS tour and that will probably get my vote ONLY because it was my first experience!!

I saying that OMS was absolutely incredible and it was great to be able to hear lindsey playing just by himself, you could pick out more in the songs.

I like the song selections on all of them but particularly OOTC selections which were used and also any tour with Rodeo on it
Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwk05 View Post
too hard basket, I loved seeing all the band up there for SWS tour and that will probably get my vote ONLY because it was my first experience!!

I saying that OMS was absolutely incredible and it was great to be able to hear lindsey playing just by himself, you could pick out more in the songs.

I like the song selections on all of them but particularly OOTC selections which were used and also any tour with Rodeo on it
was there ANY tour with Rodeo on it??

Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been to all of them except OOTC, which is actually my favorite solo album by him so I can imagine I would have been in bliss had I seen that one. However, this is a very difficult poll, elle. I feel guilty selecting a favorite when I have had so many beautiful, amazing memories from each that will stay with me forever (yep, I went there with the schmaltz).

I actually met Lindsey for the first time at the UTS tour and, contrary to how some may feel, I loved every second of my UTS shows. There were a few of the slower songs that didn't necessarily blow me away, but the fact that I was seeing LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM live after dreaming of such a thing for so many years...and all the energy he had throughout his shows, the power of his solos, his unbelievably handsome presence...it was all too much. In every good way you can imagine.

My favorite setlist of all the shows I went to was probably the SWS tour. I just fell so madly in love with that album and I adored hearing those songs, like IOOT, TWLG, EOT because, well, they're perfect.

But then again...the arrangements he made to some of his songs on the OMS tour were simply mesmerizing to me. If you ever read back on some of my posts in the past, I have always stated that I absolutely detest "Not Too Late"...but he made me fall in LOVE with that song and it's message on his last tour. It was so beautiful. And "Stephanie" and the new intro to "I'm So Afraid."

And then I have to think back on the GOS tour and how much FUN it was. Especially hearing the title track. Ugh, so many incredible songs/performances/memories. He is just a peerless live act, imo.

I am going to say it's a tie between GOS and SWS for the best overall shows. The quality of the songs from each of those albums is so strong and translated on stage they sometimes became even MORE special. I enjoyed just being able to dance along to more of the "rockier" numbers (from the latter especially) and travel to some cool places (particularly the former).

So I guess since those two would be my #1 choice for favorite overall show, and OMS is singular because I had the opportunity to m&g and spend time with some amazing people, I think I'm going to, by default, vote for UTS.

I don't think I can measure in words/expressions/emoticons, etc. the shock and joy that I was filled with when it was announced Lindsey was releasing an album and touring. He was my number one most favorite living musical artist and I was obsessed with his music. But I had almost accepted that the promised album would never really happen and I'd have to just resort to reading other people's Fleetwood Mac experiences, watch "Destiny Rules" for the 20th time, and just play his albums for my fix.

UTS sort of changed everything. It was a "rebirth" for him and the start of a tremendously rejuvenated and uber-prolific period for Lindsey, which is still going strong. It was amazing and beautiful and I think I can remember every minute of awe that transpired between me and what was being produced on the stage. And I made a very beautiful personal connection on that tour...so yeah. All of that just to say that Lindsey is a genius and I loved all his shows, but sentiment always wins in the end.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 01-12-2013 at 02:25 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have an excel sheet at home telling me which concerts I attended for what tour;-)
I saw MANY UTS,GoS & SWS shows...and they were pretty much neck and neck in my mind. I gave UTS a sentimental edge, in this case. Simply because there were so many really lovely moments...like the first time he sang Save Me a Place with the guys. Nearly made me cry. And he was so incredibly accessible during that tour, without the living legend airs that I felt from him on this one (sorry, I will say that I had some torn tendons in my foot and was in pain during the shows I saw for this one man band thing so...that could have made me super-grouchy and picking up things that weren't necessarily there).
During GoS...that last show...I thought was the most intense encore I have ever seen from anyone. I walked out of the Nokia shaking.
Seeds We Sow...well, among the shows I saw was the one at Goucher College (saw Lindsey later trying to buy something from the closed snack shop at the hotel...earlier, his handler/ manager had whisked him into the hotel as if there were 1000 women waiting for him instead of me, quietly sitting in the lobby, trying to use their WiFi for a mini-review to my friends. I didn't even know Lindsey was staying there until he walked past me. LB snuck back down a few minutes later to go the aforementioned snack shop). Anyway...for paranoid, city-slicker me to go running through the HUGE Goucher campus, with a flashlight, at night--to get back to the hotel, sealed the deal that I was a crazed Lindsey maniac. At least, in my mind.
Plus, you know, on some of these shows, I got to spend some time with my FM friends and that always makes things extra sweet.I don't see them as often as I'd like and we always have a great deal of fun together. And, ocassionally, run into Lindsey or Stevie and talk about it for years afterwards;-)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Seeds We Sow...well, among the shows I saw was the one at Goucher College (saw Lindsey later trying to buy something from the closed snack shop at the hotel...earlier, his handler/ manager had whisked him into the hotel as if there were 1000 women waiting for him instead of me, quietly sitting in the lobby, trying to use their WiFi for a mini-review to my friends. I didn't even know Lindsey was staying there until he walked past me. LB snuck back down a few minutes later to go the aforementioned snack shop).
Hilarious. Someone please get that hungry man a granola bar -- and quickly -- before he's overtaken by throngs of fans.

Michele
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Ledgie

Only have been to SWS and OMS - SWS was probably my favorite just because it was my first time seeing him live (solo) and I had been listening to SWS nonstop for the past month, so I was just in awe the entire performance. It was also the first time I had the chance to go up next to the stage to see him up close and personal, since the only time I had seen him previously was on the Unleashed tour.