The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think new mac members at this point would not only be completely pointless, but also completely improbable. They make most of their money because they're a nostalgia act, let's be honest, and I think they know that. I am excited about and I love that they are putting out new music, but no matter who the members in the band are, it's going to stay at a certain level of success and won't exceed that unless there's some weird fluke or something. And they'd have even LESS success if it were with anyone but these 4 (although they'd have more if Christine were there, of course, but that won't happen), so I just think it's kind of pointless. Taylor Swift is not going to join Fleetwood Mac.

I hope they can get more music out soon, though, because I really liked what the EP had to offer and I'd like to hear what else they can bring to the table.

Last edited by WildHearted; 05-11-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

New members for Fleetwood Mac? Sure. Maybe they'll sell out a garage in Fresno.

Did Lindsey ever categorically state that Stevie would not be doing any more songs? Or is all this just conjecture?

78 RPMs, IIRC could hold 4-6 songs, I think, by the way. So, that might be what he was referring to. They certainly were around in his day.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Fire Stevie and get another singer who ***has her own audience*** who will go to shows and records. There are many out there ***with LARGE followings*** who'd love to be in a band like Fleetwood Mac. Being beholden to Stevie Nicks makes no sense for a band called Fleetwood Mac, which has Lindsey Buckingham in it, especially when they're releasing stuff on their own.
"Fire Stevie"??? are you kidding.. Tango and Behind the Mask tours were huge draws. how did the Time tour do sans Stevie? they aren't stupid.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't how she'd take to being let go......it's obvious her heart's not in the band. Anyway we can throw this around all we want It'll never happen.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 05-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why does everything always get put on Stevie? If the men want to record, they should just do so and say, "Stevie, we're recording an album." She either shows up or she doesn't. No need for her to be fired, no need for them to be beholden.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Why does everything always get put on Stevie? If the men want to record, they should just do so and say, "Stevie, we're recording an album." She either shows up or she doesn't. No need for her to be fired, no need for them to be beholden.
You know, they have all earned the right to do what they want. Seems like a mad dash for the finish line. Every man for himself.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The only artist worthy of joining the Mac is Iris DeMent.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As fun as it is to imagine some non-Stevie incarnations of Fleetwood Mac, at this point it's really only commercial interest that keeps Lindsey wanting to release work under the Mac name. Without Stevie, people just aren't going to buy into it, and there wouldn't be much point. Lindsey would be better off just working with John and Mick under his solo name. For it to work she's going to have to have some involvement, however half-assed. Which (and I say this as a diehard Stevie fan) is really too bad.

I like the idea of casually "dropping" EPs as you make them, though. I think an EP can be an artistic statement just as much as an album can be, although I don't think they've done that here. But the Mac has always been more of an individual-song band, for me, rather than a listen-to-the-full-album band, so it doesn't bother me much.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why work on an album with Mick and John under Lindsey's own name while it IS Fleetwood Mac? Of course it has annother appeal with Stevie; But why not use the name? I really don't see that. Especially if Lindsey keeps all creative possibility's open for the rythmsection like he did with the Froomtracks, according to Mick himself? let's be fair: M&J wrap Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy up as Fleetwood Mac. Those songs really DIFFER from Lindsey's solo-approach because of them.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Why work on an album with Mick and John under Lindsey's own name while it IS Fleetwood Mac?
Because most people won't get it. They'll be confused. They'll write it off. And then the name Fleetwood Mac would no longer equate to massive commercial draw and big bucks for the band. The rhythm section of a band just isn't what is identifiable about it to most music listeners. People identify with lead singers/instrumentalists and songwriting. The fact that they are legally entitled to use the name Fleetwood Mac is by the by. Lindsey's idea is to give these songs a wider audience than they'd get on a solo record. And that isn't going to happen if the lineup changes.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Because most people won't get it. They'll be confused. They'll write it off. And then the name Fleetwood Mac would no longer equate to massive commercial draw and big bucks for the band. The rhythm section of a band just isn't what is identifiable about it to most music listeners. People identify with lead singers/instrumentalists and songwriting. The fact that they are legally entitled to use the name Fleetwood Mac is by the by. Lindsey's idea is to give these songs a wider audience than they'd get on a solo record. And that isn't going to happen if the lineup changes.
That's a fact for all bands in general. Fleetwood Mac is an exception on the rule. And they all are 65+ soon. I agree with you what Lindsey's purpose is, but if Stevie is not on it with own songs, they still can use the name. And they should.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Perhaps they will. But I don't think it's a gamble they're willing to take at this stage in their careers. And it would be a gamble. People are unlikely to turn out in droves, shelling out ridiculous amounts of cash for a Fleetwood Mac concert if the name now means "just" Lindsey Buckingham + Rhythm section. And I don't think that's something the guys want to lose. Maybe I underestimate people. We shall see.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's be honest here. By December (after they tour Austrailia and New Zealand which I'm sure they will) they will all be exhausted. Lindsey and Stevie will be itching to get back to their solo careers. I bet Lindsey takes the recorded Mac stuff and turns it into a solo album.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think she is through recording though.

Michele
I don't think she's through recording solo, but I am unsure how likely it is that she will record again with FM. Believe Me, I wish she would!!
Old 05-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
isn't that what basically happened?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"