User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
And from 97 to the present, they haven't done a festival.
Summerfest in Milwaukee kinda-sorta counts, although you actually had to buy a ticket specifically to see them; they weren't on the stage that was just part of the main festival area.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Question for anyone...

Which band do you think should have been bigger than what they eventually achieved in stature?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
"Some Kind of Sorryass drama to just make a terrible half-attempt at a metal Album?", Yeah saw it and laughed at how pathetic it portrayed ME-Tallica (aka "Lars...Lars...Lars" in a "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" kinda way)

Cant forget Dave "Boohoo" Mustaine's part...Damn dude, Get over it already, Megadeth still has a somewhat "street cred" that ME-Tallica has long since lost.

Thankfully from the recent reports of the album in progress is that Rick Rubin's has lit a fire under their arses and the new music is in a ol' "Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets" style of metal...Maybe they can still show that they have some "nu-ticals" left in the tank for metal.
Brian you MUST see "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey." It puts "The Decline of Western Civilization: The Metal Years" to shame!!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Which band do you think should have been bigger than what they eventually achieved in stature?

Tesla. I think they are one of the most underrated bands that came out of the 80's - raw talent, great music, no bull****.

Brian J - How's your head? Did they rule out a stroke since this new cyst diagnosis came up?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That's hard. My first thought was The Faces, but maybe they were big when they came out---I don't know. I think they are a great, seemingly underrated band. I also think that that's what people should think of when they think of Rod Stewart, not Hot Legs or Do Ya Think I'm Sexy .
Old 05-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
That's hard. My first thought was The Faces, but maybe they were big when they came out---I don't know. I think they are a great, seemingly underrated band. I also think that that's what people should think of when they think of Rod Stewart, not Hot Legs or Do Ya Think I'm Sexy .

Was "Stay With me" The Faces, or Rod? Love that tune.

Do Ya Think I'm Sexy makes me gag. So does Tonight's The Night. Barf.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Yep. It is a great tune They were a great band, and really rocked!

I also think Thin Lizzy is kind of an underrated band too, I know they were really big with The Boys are Back in Town back in the day, but I think they tend to get overlooked among the great classic rock bands of the 70's.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Do Ya Think I'm Sexy makes me gag. So does Tonight's The Night. Barf.
"Stay With Me" was Faces (on their A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse album)

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac (in 1970)
(another vote for the aforementioned) Faces
The Motels
Concrete Blonde
any band I've ever been in

However, had Faces attained a bigger stature, would Ronnie Wood be a Rolling Stone today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic
Fleetwood Mac question for anyone:

I just watched Cal Jam 2 with Bob Welch and Stevie (which I just looooove!). Did FM play there that day too?
Since the direct question has already been answered, don't forget, Mick played during Bob's set, too. (I was there)

Last edited by chiliD; 05-08-2006 at 01:53 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 01:43 PM
chiliD
This message has been deleted by chiliD.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:50 PM
chiliD
Old 05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
any band I've ever been in

Oh, you!

Sharon - how the hell do you have time to listen to all the music you have? You have so much knowledge about so many different genres, it amazes me.

Any Ledgie - what was your first album?

Mine was Styx - Mr. Roboto (dad bought it for my bro & me.) Wham! Make It Big was the first album just for me. Then my brother scratched it. Bastard.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The Replacements (they got kinda lost in the R.E.M. brouhaha)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tesla. I think they are one of the most underrated bands that came out of the 80's - raw talent, great music, no bull****.
They got some of the worst press around. Even in their hometown of Sacramento, they were not terrifically loved. The only song of theirs I know is the remake of "Signs," which didn't make me want to seek out more of their stuff.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
They got some of the worst press around. Even in their hometown of Sacramento, they were not terrifically loved. The only song of theirs I know is the remake of "Signs," which didn't make me want to seek out more of their stuff.

Why would it, when it's not their best work? I recommend "Paradise" - incredible accoustic guitar, passionate vocal. Great tune.

I think they kind of got stuck in the middle - they had a lot of critical acclaim, and a pretty hardcore fan base (still do.) But they weren't a "hair band" and that's what was hot at that point.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's tough. I would want to say Fleetwood Mac 1970 and 1973, as well, but their relative lack of stature was more due to tragic changes within the band rather than public or critical indifference.

I'm always surprised when I remember that Wilco isn't as popular as I usually imagine them to be. Josh Rouse really ought to be more popular, too. But they're still young, they've got plenty of time move up in the world.

If David's saying The Replacements got lost in REM's commercial wake, I'll say the same for Pavement being overshadowed by the likes of Nirvana.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Pavement being overshadowed by the likes of Nirvana.
Thank the gods for that one .

I saw Pavement a few years back. They're a little too "college jam band" for my taste. It didn't help that all the kids in the audience had bandana-cum-doo-rags on their heads . Hey, at least there was plenty of pot circulating the joint (no pun intended).

Last edited by cliffdweller; 05-08-2006 at 02:48 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Any Ledgie - what was your first album?

Mine was Styx - Mr. Roboto (dad bought it for my bro & me.) Wham! Make It Big was the first album just for me. Then my brother scratched it. Bastard.
First tape bought for me: Bonnie Tyler, Faster Than the Speed of Night.
First tape I bought for myself: Men At Work - Business as Usual.
First songs I ever recorded myself singing on said tape recorder: Sweet Dreams, Shadows of the Night, Eye of the Tiger.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 05-08-2006 at 02:42 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 02:48 PM
chiliD