User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
They used Don't Stop and Little Little LIes for the BuckVie shows.

Then Too Far Gone, Red Sun and something else...
But like Steve said, Don't Stop, a song written by Christine, was used to promote Lindsey's solo tour. Is that wrong, or is it wrong only when FM does the same thing?

BTW, I don't think any of them sit around deciding which songs should be played in advertisements. I think other folks do that.

If people really didn't know Lindsey had been fired and felt they were tricked into buying tickets to see them live, please give me their phone number or email address. I have some great new investment properties I'd like to tell them about. Seriously, in this day and age, with all the publicity his firing got, it's hard for me to believe people who were willing to pay $75 or more didn't know. You didn't have to be a stalker to know he had been fired and replaced, it was on Yahoo, msn, Good Morning America, USA Today, CNN, etc. If people didn't know, that's not the band's fault.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
But like Steve said, Don't Stop, a song written by Christine, was used to promote Lindsey's solo tour. Is that wrong, or is it wrong only when FM does the same thing?

BTW, I don't think any of them sit around deciding which songs should be played in advertisements. I think other folks do that.

If people really didn't know Lindsey had been fired and felt they were tricked into buying tickets to see them live, please give me their phone number or email address. I have some great new investment properties I'd like to tell them about. Seriously, in this day and age, with all the publicity his firing got, it's hard for me to believe people who were willing to pay $75 or more didn't know. You didn't have to be a stalker to know he had been fired and replaced, it was on Yahoo, msn, Good Morning America, USA Today, CNN, etc. If people didn't know, that's not the band's fault.
I fear that the heart breaking truth is that 99.9% of people do not care a whit that Lindsey was kicked out.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People didn't know he had been fired and most of them still don't know that part of it.

However, I find that a lot of them did know that he was not in the band and believed that story about him wanting to postpone the tour and that he couldn't come to an agreement with the band. They didn't know he was kicked out despite doing everything in his power to resolve differences.

The fact is, the majority of people don't know who Lindsey is. They don't care and that's not going to stop them from going to see the Travesty perform.

They don't know his voice. They don't know his face. They don't know his contributions. He is inconsequential to them. But for those who do know and care, the mass apathy doesn't diminish our feelings. If anything, it intensifies them.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Sorry, but the suggestion that the band somehow fraudulently hid Lindsey’s absence or mislead audiences is laughable. They’ve made several television appearances including a couple of performances, they’ve done interviews in the press, they’ve gotten press coverage, they did that whole month of satellite radio, they have several group publicity photos, and even have Neil and Mike named on their tour poster. Furthermore, it was announced that Lindsey was out and Mike and Neil were in on April 9, but tickets didn’t even go on sale until April 25, the same day they did the CBS interview. It’s not like there wasn’t a lot of press about it at the time.
Yeah, this has nothing to do with what I was taking issue with, which was your assessment that an arena full of people waving their phones during a Crowded House song at a Fleetwood Mac concert was somehow evidence that all of those people were aware of and approved of Lindsey's firing. That's still a logical fallacy, no matter how much you attempt to move the target.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Not true Steve. When I heard radio advertisements for FM's
concert they were using Lindsey's voice. For me, that
would be a clear misrepresentation. And I'm talking about
his songs.
If this line up is soooo wonderful and they're soooo happy and Lindsey is such a bastard, they should have recorded new versions of Lindsey's songs with Campbell and Finn. After all, they're FM songs.

Lindsey was part of the creation of Don't Stop, whether some people like it here or not. He and Christine worked on that song. And he was part of the group when he used it.

Totally different story now. They're trashing him now in every opportunity they have but they continue using his pic as part of the group. Misleading publicity.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No one in the Temptations or the Supremes played instruments... their recordings and live performances were with studio and backing musicians. The members only sang.

Tina Turner, like Stevie Nicks, doesn't play an instrument, but you say she should be inducted. I'm glad you said that, but that weakens your argument that Stevie shouldn't have been inducted because she doesn't play an instrument, if you have no problem with Tina being inducted.

I mentioned Lindsey because he was inducted with FM, and if you say people have to pay to be inducted, I figure Lindsey would have paid his fair share, too. Unless you think he doesn't understand how the music industry works, either? So, like the other members of FM, you must think Lindsey paid his way into the RRHOF, too. Just kidding. I really have no idea, but I'd like to think FM got in on merit alone.

I know we disagree, but I'm glad we can discuss this topic without getting nasty.
Stevie's inability to play an instrument is just the icing of the cake of why she shouldn't be inducted. You can't possibly compare The Temptations, The Supremes or Tina Turner's contribution to the music with Stevie's. Miles and miles apart.

Still don't understand your point. Why Lindsey? It's not his call. He doesn't take decisions in the band. If it was up to him, he simply doesn't care about those things.

Many people got nasty with me here with no apparent reason. You don't get nasty, I don't get nasty. You get nasty, you go to my ignore list. Simple as that.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 03-27-2019, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
they are likely mostly just indifferent to the firing and what the band did. That would not mean they love that Lindsey was fired or give thumbs up to the firing.
Wow, I don't know how I missed this. Mitzo, this describes my feelings pretty much to a T. Well, except for the indifference part. When I first heard the news, I was initially shocked, but quickly accepted it. I mean, it's Fleetwood Mac. And when I heard about Mike and Neil, I really wasn't sure what to think. But after seeing videos posted here by Sugar Mouse, I was intrigued by what they could bring to FM, especially Neil. In no way was I happy Lindsey was fired, but I didn't hate FM, either. I was a fan when Lindsey left in 1987 and I was a fan when he left in 2018.

If people think loving FM now, or seeing them live, or buying a FM record, is a direct slam on Lindsey, I really don't think, for a majority of people, that that's the case. Some people, maybe, but very few.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
People didn't know he had been fired and most of them still don't know that part of it.
Well, if people that are here every day STILL refers to his FIRING as a "leaving", then I don't have much hope for casual fans.

Denial is a powerful tool.....
Old 03-27-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Haha... you really misinterpreted that one. I was agreeing with Steve.

Meaning, they just played random tunes for the ad.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I fear that the heart breaking truth is that 99.9% of people do not care a whit that Lindsey was kicked out.
More like 89% ish...
Old 03-27-2019, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
More like 89% ish...
And I like the fact that the media perspective is changing now.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Haha... you really misinterpreted that one. I was agreeing with Steve.

Meaning, they just played random tunes for the ad.
Apparently, I really lack the ability to discern when people here are being sarcastic. I must be a concrete thinker in my old age. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
99.9% of people do not care a whit that Lindsey was kicked out.
Quote:
More like 89% ish...
general audiences go to see the show so they can say they saw Fleetwood Mac and for the singalongs. they have no clue who is or ever was in the band, just that the legendary band is one of those bucket list items and this looks to be their farewell tour.

can't tell you how many times i saw stuff like "although Lindsey Buckingham is not with them on this tour, and i really wanted to hear her sing Landslide."

then there are Stevie hardcores who never went to see FM before, just SN solo, and now they go to 5-10 shows i guess to prove how important she is. and then there are AHS fangirls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And I like the fact that the media perspective is changing now.
yes, most of the east coast show reviews very very balanced and actually made sense. they were still very gentle considering how crappy most of these songs now sound, but still, at least they didn't paste from the FM marketing sheets. of course, the band PR / marketing is adjusting too, if you read that latest article in the present band forum. they are not letting go of their money that easily!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-27-2019, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And Tina Turner will be inducted sometime,
Quote:
I wasn't aware Chrissie Hynde, Ann Wilson, or Nancy Wilson have released many solo albums,
Quote:
The one significant thing about Steve being inducted as a solo artist is that the door will finally open for other women, including Diana Ross, even though she doesn't play an instrument, either. Or Cyndi Lauper, Belinda Carlisle, Florence Welch, Celine Dion, Gwen Stefani, Cher,
see, to some feminists among us, reading stuff like this is so offensive. why would anyone have to open the door for all these women who are way ahead of Nicks, in any and every sense? before her, bigger than her, selling way more than her (if commercial is what is of primary importance), way more groundbreaking than her? i mean some of them are not in at all, and there are several on your list that should be in twice already! it's completely ridiculous. i know this is heresy on these boards where Stevie is on high pedestal for people, but try and be realistic for a moment.

yes, way more women should have been inducted and many way more deserving are not even in once. and RnRHoF indiction committee shouldn't have been given a choice of either Cyndi or Benatar or Nicks like they apparently were - and those women on the nomination committee shouldn't have gone with that false choice of just one woman among them.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Lindsey was part of the creation of Don't Stop, whether some people like it here or not. He and Christine worked on that song.
Just like Mick, John, Christine, and Stevie were part of the creation of GYOW…

Quote:
And he was part of the group when he used it.
Hardly. He had been out of Fleetwood Mac for six years by 1993, and did a bit of trashing them on that tour.

THE Stephen Hopkins