The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Are Lindsey's Later Albums "Crazy"?

I'm a great fan of Lindsey because I love musical creativity and anything "crazy" - Go Insane and Out Of The Cradle are fantastic examples of this... hell, why not thrown Law & Order in for good measure? Of course his various musical directions with Rumours-era FM are also tribute to this.
Also, I'm a uni student - this means I often have little money, of course.
Basically, the question I'm getting around to is "Do I buy Under The Skin and Gift Of Screws now or later?" in relation to my slowly filling collection of pre-Rumours-era material (of which I only own MTM and HAHTF). Or, put another way, are his later albums "crazier", or at least on par, than what I've so far been hearing from the pre-Rumours FM material?
I only ask because I bought The Dance a while ago, and I thought Lindsey was starting to lose his creative and "crazy" edge with "Bleed To Love Her"... in fact, I've now heard a few tracks from Say You Will and I'm not particularly fussed about it... yet.
(I'll make a confession - I was originally hesitant about buying Out Of The Cradle, as what little I'd heard of it seemed to indicate that it might be like "Bleed To Love Her", but as soon as I heard "Don't Look Down" I knew I'd made the right decision!)
Any comments are welcome, including those about my stupidity for not immediately buying them!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
I'm a great fan of Lindsey because I love musical creativity and anything "crazy" - Go Insane and Out Of The Cradle are fantastic examples of this... hell, why not thrown Law & Order in for good measure? Of course his various musical directions with Rumours-era FM are also tribute to this.
Basically, the question I'm getting around to is "Do I buy Under The Skin and Gift Of Screws now or later?" in relation to my slowly filling collection of pre-Rumours-era material (of which I only own MTM and HAHTF). Or, put another way, are his later albums "crazier", or at least on par, than what I've so far been hearing from the pre-Rumours FM material?
I only ask because I bought The Dance a while ago, and I thought Lindsey was starting to lose his creative and "crazy" edge with "Bleed To Love Her"... in fact, I've now heard a few tracks from Say You Will and I'm not particularly fussed about it... yet.
(I'll make a confession - I was originally hesitant about buying Out Of The Cradle, as what little I'd heard of it seemed to indicate that it might be like "Bleed To Love Her", but as soon as I heard "Don't Look Down" I knew I'd made the right decision!)
Any comments are welcome, including those about my stupidity for not immediately buying them!
Gift of Screws is more toward the 'crazy side', at least in some songs. Under the Skin is more acoustically based. Both are excellent albums in their own ways. It's hard for me to tell someone else what they will like best. 100 people can hear a song and each of them hear it differently!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
GOS is nothing at all like GI ( or OOTC ). To me, all of his albums are so unique, and have there own sound. I love UTS, but definitely prefer the songs done live on that one. GOS is cool. Period. Just a really, really good album, and like most of his albums, is best heard in it's entirety. It will grow on you. Even if you like it right away, it will STILL grow on you! Lindsey is always so honest in his writing, and GOS is no exception. He says what he feels. My guess is that you'd like it ( but of course, I don't know you! ), and so I agree with holidayroad in that everyone hears everything differently.

Still, I say go for it
Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Buy Gift of Screws now. That album is nothing if not creative, crazy and beautiful.

Under the Skin is a different album and it is more like BTLH. I think you should have UTS and, as I have said, I am glad it came out first, because if it had come out after GOS, in my mind, it would have suffered by comparison. The way things happened, it came out. It was well-received, because we hadn't had anything from LB in so long and it got its own concert tour. If I had heard it after GOS, it would have been anti-climatic for me and I would not have appreciated it.

Yet, UTS possesses one of my top 5 Lindsey songs: Show You How.

But anyway, if you're not going to have all the albums, GOS is the very last one you should be without. Do not pass go. Michele
Old 02-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In my opinion, everyone should own all of LBs solo albums. Of course that isn't going to happen, but the truth is your appreciation for his immense, singular talent will only grow stronger when you can hear all of it, from Law and Order to Gift of Screws and everything in between.

Like any great artist, he has evolved. His music is very much a reflection of where he is as a person, and we all know that, as he claims, he's in a really great place, so although as Michele says GOS is very "creative, crazy, and beautiful" there is also such a growth in terms of his lyrics and what he's singing about...it's amazing to hear.

Honestly, I have adored to death UTS and GOS. I think it's simply more indication of his genius. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you buy them both.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 02-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post

Like any great artist, he has evolved. His music is very much a reflection of where he is as a person, and we all know that, as he claims, he's in a really great place, so although as Michele says GOS is very "creative, crazy, and beautiful" there is also such a growth in terms of his lyrics and what he's singing about...it's amazing to hear.
I think UTS is stronger lyrically than GOS. GOS has some fine lyrics, but in whole, rather than in parts, I think the UTS words are more solid. Word wise, I loved the poetic progression from Miranda to the UTS album. But since jaycee said he didn't want more BTLH type songs, I pushed GOS above UTS.

Michele
Old 02-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know that I'd call OoTC "crazy" so I'd say that GOS is something you'd like if you're looking for that. It balances the more crazy GI side with the more straight ahead pop of OoTC very well. It's a really balanced, excellent album. UTS is less crazy in the manic sense - there are no real yelping vocals and vari-speed guitar solos - but it is certainly more quirky than OoTC.

I guess it depends what you want from his albums. If you want upbeat then GOS will do you well. If you want something that's sonically a bit different then UTS could fit. I'd recommend that you get them both when you get the cash but get GOS first.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The thing about UTS is, even aside from the acoustic approach, I find it complacent. And I do not mean that in a condescending way. I don't mean at all that it settles for less musically and lacks experimentation. I'm talking about it's mood, which is more about making lemons out of lemonade than a showcase for the assertive, not-yet-satisfied tone you'd find in Lindsey's other albums. Michele
Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a great fan of Lindsey because I love musical creativity and anything "crazy"
Well then you'll have no problem liking UTS or Gift of Screws. I think GOS is a more... approachable album although I like both of them about the same.

Quote:
I only ask because I bought The Dance a while ago, and I thought Lindsey was starting to lose his creative and "crazy" edge with "Bleed To Love Her"...
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I tend to love the more manic/crazy Lindsey stuff the most and Gift of Screws replaced Out of the Cradle as my favorite album of his. The title track, "Right Place to Fade", "Wait For You", "Love Runs Deeper", "Great Day", "Bel Air Rain" all, though ranging in just how much, have those qualities and are great and addictive songs. Even "Time Precious Time", though not a fan favorite, falls into that category for me thanks to the guitar work. I think you will love Gift of Screws when you get it.

Under the Skin doesn't suit my Lindsey tastes as well. I love and appreciate it but don't find myself listening to it as much as his other albums. Still, it's a must have for any Lindsey fan, even if just to spend some time with his other styles of songwriting, producing and performing.