Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ricohv
if Thrown Down has the most potential of all the Stevie songs on a 2 disc set, to be a hit single... that seems a little disappointing.
That's not necessarily true. After all, "Every Day" was certainly not the strongest song on 'Trouble In Shangri-La,' nor was it really the track with the most "hit" potential. It's just that the record companies have certain demographics they try to reach and appeal to, and they choose whichever songs they feel will accomplish that. (Don't forget, they're trying to sell albums, not singles.)

Nine times in ten though, they don't choose the song the fans think they should have chosen.

Johnny Stew
Old 01-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default That's what sucks...

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Nine times in ten though, they don't choose the song the fans think they should have chosen.Johnny Stew
Sometimes, I wonder if the frickin record companies even LISTEN to the radio..LOL It's like baby food....soft and mushy in a cute lil jar...with a baby face on the label....but it tastes like CRAP!!!!! GIVE ME SOME MEAT AND TATERS!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: That's what sucks...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
soft and mushy in a cute lil jar...with a baby face on the label....but it tastes like CRAP!!!!!
lol, Someone's not a Babyface fan!! j/k!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Peacekeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
Definitely. It rocks. Thrown Down drags a bit.
Be still! Did you just say that!? Welcome to the right side where the light shines forth.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Be still! Did you just say that!? Welcome to the right side where the light shines forth.

LMAO...even i have to admit...there is something that Peacekeeper has that TD does not...as much as i adore Stevie's voice and all...but i really don't want either to be the single..i think it should be something that is more of an attention grabber..

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 01-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have had a busy week, so I haven't gotten to download Peacekeeper yet. I just wanted to comment and skew a bit off topic...JS mentioned (I think it was him) that FM might be played on MTV a little. Well, according to the TV Guide, MTV is thinking of cutting videos down to showing only 10 per week, and repeating the same 10 over and over throughout the week. So, if this happens, I doubt we will see them on MTV. It's kind of upsetting, because MTV was starting to get a little more credit from me when they started playing things I'd see on VH1 -- best example is John Mayer's No Such Thing. But, it seems MTV should become MCTV (Musically Challenged Television). This is a really bad move, and I hope they don't go through with it.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Peacekeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Hey, Lindsey's my man! I've always dwelt in the light! I just spead my love around.

Old 01-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think "Peacekeeper" is a terrific song, and it's now in my top 5 of the 'GoS' tracks (some of them left me underwhelmed... while others totally blew me away, and I listen to them frequently. "Peacekeeper" is definitely in the latter category).

Anyway, despite my affection for "Peacekeeper," I still think "Thrown Down" is the one that has the most potential for radio airplay.
Fleetwood Mac has been gone a long time, and... especially given the currently unstable political climate... people seem to be gravitating more to the familiar.
"Thrown Down" has that classic Fleetwood Mac stamp all over it. It's upbeat, it has a very catchy chorus, tight harmonies, and some great guitar licks.

Of these two songs, I really think it's the one that radio programmers will graviate towards, as it's the one that's most easily recognizable as being Fleetwood Mac.

Now, I'm well aware that the band has released offbeat singles in the past ("Tusk," and "Big Love"), but let's not forget that their biggest hits have always been Christine's tunes... every one of which, was perky and catchy.
Never underestimate the power of a catchy chorus, in regards to airplay.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one song is better than the other... I'm just going by my observations as a music buff.

Johnny Stew
Old 01-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Peacekeeper

Quote:
Welcome to the right side where the light shines forth.
I've always been happiest being on the left.

Johnny Stew
Old 01-16-2003, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Never underestimate the power of a catchy chorus, in regards to airplay.
In that case, "Peacekeeper" wins hands down. I was with you on the other points, but you lost me here.

Also, I think a song with the message of "Peacekeeper" might just be what the doctor ordered. If we get into a war that lasts, say, more than eight weeks, the public is going to get nervous about it, especially if there is street fighting and casualties on our side start mounting. As it is, enough polls are starting to show that at least 50 percent of Americans are not persuaded that we should go into this war.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From what I read, not even 50% of the current ADMINISTRATION is behind going to war.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting to read that, the perception here in Europe about the situation and mood in the US is completely different probably also as a result of the last election results several weeks ago. Well O.K. that`s probably not an issue for this thread, just wanted to share this information/thoughts on that.
Back to the song- I don't believe it was meant to be understood as a reaction to the current political situation. Don`t forget it's at least two years old. Nevertheless it sounds very related to now and this probably will lead to a broader airplay, if it`s musically good, what I suppose (Haven`t heard it yet)
Old 01-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, now I've listened to Peacekeeper, and I must say this is very good, and I'm not a fan of Lindsey's writing. I am just hoping this is not the final product of the song. I hear A LOT more potential for this song to kick a lot more ass, and generally I'm surprised by the lack of instrumentation energy. It comes out somewhat during the final chorus, but it needs to come out like this in the other choruses, and then even more in the last choruses. There's also a lot of vocal potential here, and if this ISN'T Fleetwood Mac's version, I can hear Stevie and Lindsey definitely getting some belting done here. If they were to keep Peacekeeper as it is, I definitely have to go with Thrown Down, and even then I'd have to hear the final cut of Peacekeeper before making a decision. The only thing that irks me about Peacekeeper is the bridge and seeing how many words have "ill" in them. But if this is a good representation of Lindsey's latest writing, I will be pleasantly surprised and happy.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I was with you on the other points, but you lost me here.
"Peacekeeper" does have a fantastic chorus, but I think "Thrown Down" has the "catchier" chorus of the two.

To me, it has the same feel as "Little Lies" almost... and it seems to stick with you long after you've heard it.

But, as Justin said, we've not yet heard the "final" version of "Peacekeeper," so maybe it's evolved into something with even stronger single potential.

Personally, I think it's excellent as is. If I were to change anything, I'd just add live drums, and some harmony vocals from Stevie (and maybe giving them some room to branch-off towards the end).
I definitely wouldn't mess with the tempo, or the general arrangement.

I guess we'll see soon.

Johnny Stew
Old 01-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I posted this in another PeaceKeeper Thrown Down thread and thought it might of some relevance here.

What makes people so sure that Mick, John, and Stevie will turn up on this song or some of the other Lindsey Stuff we have heard? Yes Mick played drums on numerous tracks and John some bass. However, to assume that every track you have heard will be reworked with contributions from the other 3 may be wrong. Numerous songs labled as Fleetwood Mac have not had contributions from all the members. Lindsey has talked about playing bass parts on Tango in the Night using a Fairlight Synth, and Stevie's vocals are missing from many Lindsey tunes on Tango. Some of the percussion and drum sounds on that album are synth produced as well. It is well documented that some songs on Tusk were Lindsey all by myself.

My point to all of the above. Don't assume that every Lindsey tune you have heard has been reworked to include all of the band members. There is much in Fleetwood Mac's history that says that may not be the case.

I think a lot of last 18 months was spent with the band producing Stevie's songs not redoing nearly complete Lindsey songs.

With all that said, I am sure some of the Lindsey tunes we have heard will have been changed and maybe even a sprinkling on the album of songs never before heard!!