User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
What if that's not what John wants them to do? What if he wants them to go on with another bassist (i.e. George Hawkins)?

It's really too early to speculate the band's future. That's probably the furthest thing from their minds right now.
Obviously if John wants them to go out with another player, then so be it. Not gonna deny that it's a bitter pill to swallow, if that's the case.

We'll see what 2014 holds us.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-28-2013, 03:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree.
It's easy to pin the success of Fleetwood Mac on Buckingham/Nicks; but I've often thought that the reason all these songs get under your skin so easily is because of John's bass lines. He really is a one-of-a-kind player. Mick Fleetwood is the heartbeat and John is the soul of this band.

Like a heartbeat drives you mad, in the stillness of remembering what you had...
Old 10-28-2013, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't believe the disgusting comments from some posters on this thread. This was meant to be a thread sending John good wishes as he fights a horrible illness, NOT some talking shop where you speculate on the future of the band as if he's dead or talking over old mistakes he may or may not have made forty years ago. God almighty this place makes me sick sometimes.

Best wishes, John. Get well.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I can't believe the disgusting comments from some posters on this thread. This was meant to be a thread sending John good wishes as he fights a horrible illness, NOT some talking shop where you speculate on the future of the band as if he's dead or talking over old mistakes he may or may not have made forty years ago. God almighty this place makes me sick sometimes.

And that, is indeed the bottom line. Let him get well first, the other things come in later.

While I also didn't appreciate the direction the conversation has went into, this announcement has also (unfortunately) brought in more questions, especially since we aren't really certain which type of cancer he has (only speculations based on second hand sources) and how serious it is (which will most likely be disclosed once they're ready to do so).

Hopefully everyone gets a Christmas present and John would be on his way to a complete and full recovery.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am seriously saddened to hear this. When I saw them in Charlotte back in June, I'd already seen the band once before in 2004, Stevie solo in 2005 and Lindsey solo in 2011. The only thing different from this year was I was taking my long-time girlfriend with me this time in an effort to get her into the Mac. As a drummer, she knew my idol was Mick and that I loved the way he just went at it live, same for Stevie and Lindsey, but John I stayed mum on because I wanted to see if she got just how amazing he is with his playing and she did. About half way through the show, after Landslide had ended, she leaned over to me after the audience had died down before Never Going Back Again started and she said "Where did the bassist go!? He was so good!!!"

Now, every time we ride around in the car and The Chain comes on my ipod, she hums along with the bassline. John is the finishing blow of the band. Lindsey's guitar playing, Stevie's vocals and mysticism, Mick's insane nature behind the drums and then in, quietly, stealthily, comes John for the kill. You don't always know he's there but when you realize it, he floors you. If anything happens to John, I'd be extremely devastated. Fleetwood Mac just simply is NOT Fleetwood Mac without Mick and John. If one of them goes, the band in my opinion is done. Mick can go back to the Zoo or whatever, Lindsey and Stevie can become Buckingham Nicks and do their Mac and solo stuff together, but there is NO Fleetwood Mac without John or Mick. With that said, I'm wishing John a speedy recovery. I know its a sucky, sometimes long road because my father has cancer right now so this news hits fairly close to home, and I wish his family and the band all the best. Here's to a final Mac record or tour with John healthy and on board. Get well soon, sailor.

Last edited by KenshiMaster16; 10-28-2013 at 04:41 AM..
Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy John McVie has cancer

Go to NBC News .com......I am so sad....God bless him and his family.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very sad news. Sending nothing but my best to John at this difficult time. He comes across as such a funny, likeable guy.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thoughts and prayers for Johnny Mac!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post

It is interesting though that when someone gets ill everyone suddenly thinks the very best of them. Now I have nothing but respect for John McVie and wish him well in his cancer battle, but sometimes I feel that it could be the devil himself and people would be upset if anyone said a bad thing about him.

You have to accept that when people get ill or die, there will always be those people who will say "good, that is what they deserve". You may not like it, and personally I think it is unpleasant, but it is a fact of life, and you can not stop someone from expressing their opinion on here whether or not you like it.

Also, pretty good chance that John McVie doesn't really give a damn what anyone thinks of him.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This topic is being discussed extensively in a couple of threads on the Rumours board, by the way:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52856

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52850
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

John needs his own forum.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Best wishes and POSITIVE energy to John McVie and his family as they go through this tough time. I'm hoping that his treatment and recovery goes smoothly and as comfortably as possible.

Using the word "despise" about someone one has never met is a bit odd, at best. Particularly in a place where fans are expressing their prayers and well wishes.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
It is interesting though that when someone gets ill everyone suddenly thinks the very best of them. Now I have nothing but respect for John McVie and wish him well in his cancer battle, but sometimes I feel that it could be the devil himself and people would be upset if anyone said a bad thing about him.

You have to accept that when people get ill or die, there will always be those people who will say "good, that is what they deserve". You may not like it, and personally I think it is unpleasant, but it is a fact of life, and you can not stop someone from expressing their opinion on here whether or not you like it.

Also, pretty good chance that John McVie doesn't really give a damn what anyone thinks of him.
Point taken. However, as a matter of fact I was rather thinking of friends or family of his who might see this and be upset. John has answered questions on this forum before and it's known as a hub of fan activity. One might not unreasonably look here to find positive vibes from the fans which might shine a little light on a dark day.

There are other threads to discuss John's past failings, or whatever it is people don't like about him. I simply was appalled at people peppering hate on a positive thread which was, I think, meant to send him only good vibes to get well.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My thoughts with John and his family. In this hard moment, we only can send him our energy and all the best wishes for a good recovery...
Get well soon, John McVie!!!!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wishing you a speedy recovery, John McVie!!!