Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Miss O'Dell"

I just wanted to start a thread about this new book from Chris O'Dell, because it seems that no one has discussed the book yet, and it might be of some interest to Fleetwood Mac / classic rock fans (esp. those of you who love the Beatles!).

http://www.missodell.com/

O'Dell's story is a fascinating read, beginning with the first page, "I wasn't famous. I wasn't even almost famous. But I was there...." She was from Oklahoma, met Derek Taylor, sold her record collection and moved to London to begin her career at Apple Records, and that is only the beginning.

Later in her career, she settled in Frankfurt and worked as a rock promoter.

This is where Fleetwood Mac comes in. I must admit, she does not discuss the band as much as I would have liked, but she specifically discusses Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham. In addition, and the part that mislead me into believing O'Dell would have more to say about our beloved Mac,
the inside of the front and back cover include pretty large images of a Fleetwood Mac Tusk 1980 backstage pass.

Last edited by SmileAtYou; 04-25-2010 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Added photos
Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Who dis gal? What she do?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't know, but George Harrison must've taken notice, since he wrote a song about her.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Who dis gal? What she do?
Just a few highlights

~O'Dell worked at Apple Studios in London. She was in the studio when the Beatles recorded The White Album, Abbey Road, and Let It Be, and when Paul recorded "Hey Jude"

~She worked for George Harrison, typing the lyrics to his album All Things Must Pass while living with George and Pattie Boyd at Friar Park.

~She's the subject of Leon Russell's song Pisces Apple Lady, a song he wrote to woo her. Other rock legends with whom she was intimate include Ringo, Mick Jagger, and Bob Dylan (Not to mention, she was set up on a date with James Taylor - that did not blossom into romance)

~She worked with the Rolling Stones as their personal assistant on their 1972 tour, and she is pictured as "the mystery woman" on the back of their album Exile on Main Street

~O'Dell is "the woman down the hall" in Joni Mitchell's song "Coyote"

~Settled in Frankfurt 1979-1983 and worked briefly with other bands including Queen, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Sanata, Fleetwood Mac, CSNY, Phil Collins.... etc

~She partook of a lot of drugs and alcohol throughout her career working in the music industry, until she was able to recover ; now she works as an addiction counselor in Arizona
Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Of the Macsters, the book only says:

During the FM tour, I was standing in a hotel in Cologne talking to Lindsey Bucking and John McVie when who should come strutting into the lobby but Mick Jagger. He walked straight toward me and gave me a big fat kiss on the cheek. Lindsey, who was in absolute awe of Mick, looked at John as if to say, "Who is this chick we're touring with?" I smiled to myself. Mick gave me instant credibility, and that felt good.

One night one of the Bunnymen, sweating profusely after the show, asked me to fetch him a towel. Now, if he had been George or Mick or Bob -- or Angelo, Roger, Phil, Frank, Lindsey or Freddie -- I would have gotten him a towel and probably been happy to do it. But a Bunny-man? "Get your own damn towel," I snapped.