User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Come on! Fleetwood Mac doesn't need more members. They don't need Stevie either. Call up Bob Welch, Rick Vito or Billy Burnette.
Matt

Mick needs Stevie as much as he needs Rogaine.

Look what happened last time FM was staffed with has-beens and never-rans, i.e., Time lineup. 'Nuff said.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
If it were an act of intuition and instinct, he'd be giving someone who's not that well known an opportunity.
Matt
If they're thinking of adding Sheryl Crow it would be in keeping with history, if you think of Dave Mason's addition.

That wasn't a good fit for the band and I don't think Sheryl would be either. But it could be that she is just going to tour with them and share a few songs. Maybe there's no intention of her becoming a fifth member. There's a way that this can work out where everyone can benefit. Of course there are a trillion ways that this can go wrong as well.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hmmm...

Well I am glad to see that Stevie is secure enough to hand the FM spot light over to someone else. They have very different voices when they sing live, in the past Sheryl has outshone and outsang Stevie. I am a little shocked that she is so willing to hand over the "FM diva reins" to another star!! I will believe it when I see it.

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
The two are not mutually exclusive In other words, it is possible that intuition and instinct were used here and Sheryl is musically a good fit, despite her popularity.

I do not think she is. When was the last time she, if ever, sold out or even had the capacity to seemingly sell out Madison Square Gardens and other large venues. FM did so on the SYW tour. SC, instead, mostly has been a shed performer, which is fine by me, but it suggests less popularity
And it should be noted that Sheryl Crow tickets are WAY cheaper than other more veteran performers. Last time I saw Sheryl was at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center, which has, perhaps, 3,000 seats. And most recently she played Irving Plaza, which is a big club. However, I must admit that she is moving way more albums than FM, but then again, it's been so long since FM released a new album...
Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace View Post
Well I am glad to see that Stevie is secure enough to hand the FM spot light over to someone else. They have very different voices when they sing live, in the past Sheryl has outshone and outsang Stevie. I am a little shocked that she is so willing to hand over the "FM diva reins" to another star!! I will believe it when I see it.
I think a little healthy competition is a good thing. I think this will only inspire Stevie to work even harder.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I sincerely doubt this will be the type of situation where Sheryl Crow "JOINS" Fleetwood Mac. Joins Fleetwood Mac on the stage, sure. Becomes a member of Fleetwood Mac? Why? Why would she? She's got her own career. Sure, she'd be stoked to sing with the members of her favorite band, but when it comes down to it, her name is her brand just like Fleetwood Mac's name is their brand. She's not going to give that up... she's got her own albums to sell.

This could potentially be a very big tour for FM, with quite a bit of publicity because of Sheryl, thanks to VH1. That can be a good or bad thing for the fans, but this argument of "selling out" just needs to be buried. In most of the world's mind, FM is a sell out for the simple fact that the same few songs have been pounded in everyone's face on soft rock radio. They don't have **** to prove - the experimental album(s) have already been done - so why anyone here would act like they do is completely beyond me. It's about money for them, no bones about it, and I don't hold it against them. That is a boatload of money to say "no" to. Would I like an album full of ridiculously good FM songs? Definitely. Is it going to happen? Nope! They're owned by the label, and any time Lindsey makes an attempt at branching out a little, the Stevie faction doesn't "like" it, or doesn't "get" it.. or the guitar guys don't like his "mediocre" playing enough. And likewise for the Lindsey fans (like me) who like his works, but think the newest Stevie songs screw up the record.

There's no winning situation for this band when it comes to its fans. The most they can do is hit the road and hope we like it. It's just that this time, apparently it's about what it's going to take to get Stevie Nicks on the stage. And FM isn't going to do **** without Stevie from now on, so we just may as well accept it.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just saying that somebody is "joining" Fleetwood Mac insinuates that Fleetwood Mac is still some living entity. It's not. They haven't been a "band" since the Time lineup was broken up. Fleetwood Mac doesn't even HAVE members anymore...they only have EX-members who get together to pocket some healthy doses of cash every few years.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I sincerely doubt this will be the type of situation where Sheryl Crow "JOINS" Fleetwood Mac. Joins Fleetwood Mac on the stage, sure. Becomes a member of Fleetwood Mac? Why? Why would she? She's got her own career. Sure, she'd be stoked to sing with the members of her favorite band, but when it comes down to it, her name is her brand just like Fleetwood Mac's name is their brand. She's not going to give that up... she's got her own albums to sell.

This could potentially be a very big tour for FM, with quite a bit of publicity because of Sheryl, thanks to VH1. That can be a good or bad thing for the fans, but this argument of "selling out" just needs to be buried. In most of the world's mind, FM is a sell out for the simple fact that the same few songs have been pounded in everyone's face on soft rock radio. They don't have **** to prove - the experimental album(s) have already been done - so why anyone here would act like they do is completely beyond me. It's about money for them, no bones about it, and I don't hold it against them. That is a boatload of money to say "no" to. Would I like an album full of ridiculously good FM songs? Definitely. Is it going to happen? Nope! They're owned by the label, and any time Lindsey makes an attempt at branching out a little, the Stevie faction doesn't "like" it, or doesn't "get" it.. or the guitar guys don't like his "mediocre" playing enough. And likewise for the Lindsey fans (like me) who like his works, but think the newest Stevie songs screw up the record.

There's no winning situation for this band when it comes to its fans. The most they can do is hit the road and hope we like it. It's just that this time, apparently it's about what it's going to take to get Stevie Nicks on the stage. And FM isn't going to do **** without Stevie from now on, so we just may as well accept it.
But don't you think that Sheryl is in a perfect position to play the intermediary ala Christine? She has the musical chops and the producer/songwriter/engineer chops that Lindsey has, yet she also speaks from a feminine point of view. Plus, she seems like a very likeable, down-to-earth person (as long as she can keep her trap shut when it comes to politics). And because she has her own successful career, she really has no skin in the game, so she can walk away if things become too tense for her liking. As such, everyone will have an incentive to be respectful of each other and on their best behavior. I guess the big unknown is what will happen when you put an alpha female like Sheryl and an alpha male like Lindsey in the same room? It's either going to be phenomenally successful or disastrous. I think it could spur some healthy competition as well as an opportunity to learn from each other.

I agree that they don't have anything left to prove. That's why I think it's great that they are thinking of new ways to reinvent themselves, rather than just resting on their laurels and trotting out another Rumours tour.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She doesn't have to give it up. She could become a member of FM and keep her maiden name! Tour solo again right after the band tour, but under her own banner, just like Stevie does. Although I would hope that doesn't happen. I hope she tours with FM, maybe records with FM, but she doesn't need to be called part of FM.

I have to laugh because she mentions The Chain specifically. If she sang on that song, that means I would have to look at her face much earlier in the FM setlist than I would like. I'd prefer she come out during the second hour or so, not take the stage with The Chain. Her appearance that early on would tell me it was going to be a very loooong night.

FM might win itself some newer, young fans if they tour with her and I already know that Crow will get a lot of exposure out of it. Today, there were 273 newspaper clippings in my mail box from all over the world repeating the story. So, Crow has already made a bunch of headlines for herself.

I have not had that many items in my clipping mail box at one time since Sonny Bono skiied into a tree 10 years ago.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

To my knowledge, Mick and John have never left FM?

But, you are correct in the other regard.

And, for the record, I liked the Time line up. I liked the guitarists and Bekka's voice. The music and they were just not commercial enough. Interestingly, when LB fails to sell well, it is considered a good thing and a genuflect to his artistic soul. When FM failed to sell well in the Time line up, it is considered something less, even though the new members were extremely talented.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. It seems that Stevie needed a female friend on the tour or she wasn't going to do it so with Christine out of the picture it looks like it's Sheryl Crow.

Please God she doesn't sing any of Christine's songs. It was bad enough hearing Stevie cock up Don't Stop. I'd rather they just left Christine's songs out altogether.

She's not really going to join the band as a permanent member is she?

Gail
Old 03-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I've had a chance to digest this for a day or so now, and having followed this band for 31 years, I've learned that change is goin to happen. Regarding the Time lineup, I was very much against it at first but after listening to the album and seeing the tour in Wisconsin in 1995, I was pleasantly surprised. Did I like it more than when they had Peter or Lindsey and Stevie or the others, no, but I didnt listen to Time and immidiately wanna get a barf bag either. Same goes for the live show. I'm going to take a wait and see approach to see first of all exactly what role Sheryl will play, I.E a full fledged member or some other form of collaboration. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I guess the big unknown is what will happen when you put an alpha female like Sheryl and an alpha male like Lindsey in the same room? It's either going to be phenomenally successful or disastrous.
Well, that's the problem. That was the beauty of FM, the personalities fit so well together. Sure, there was a lot of friction, but no one was trying to play the same role. I think Sheryl and Lindsey's talents are more similar than his and Christine's were and they are more likely to clash than complement one another.

I can just see them now arguing about whose Crystal rules.

Anyway, if Lindsey is not strong enough to be her man, then I hope he's strong enough to say no to the millions he could make with FM and just walk away. Again. I don't want him to compromise.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

Please God she doesn't sing any of Christine's songs. It was bad enough hearing Stevie cock up Don't Stop. I'd rather they just left Christine's songs out altogether.
Gail
I tell you that Stevie was never into Hold Me. I honestly thought she was going to order herself a pizza and eat it while Lindsey and Chris sang Hold Me at the US Festival. I'd love to have Sheryl and FM perform that together, just for my own entertainment.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm definitely not opposed to outsiders "collaborating" with the Mac; however I'm definitely skeptical of Sheryl "joining" the Mac. I'm just waiting for the complete story to unfold, there are almost too many possibilities at this point for me to judge.

....And I REALLY want Lindsey to have one more solo tour before this happens, does that make me a needy person? Perhaps....

~Mic.