User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSPC View Post
So true! My wife and I do this song in our little cover band and I don't know how you can possibly perform such a strong lyric and forceful music with a bland take. It's so passionate.
Right, the Stops alone are commands, demands, pleas. Even just on paper there's pain, anger and passion, so I agree with you, to not perform it with force and feeling would seem to be difficult to do.

Michele
Old 07-12-2014, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My least favourites are:

Jane
What is there to say about this one other than it's just awful?!

I Still Miss Someone
This one is especially frustrating because Stevie can do country but that production - horrid!!

That Made Me Stronger
The lyrics to the chorus just drag the whole thing down. Terrible, "cat sat on the mat" style rhyme and a a dull, plodding melody

Destiny

Unconditional Love

Cheaper Than Free
It's the lyrics that ruin this for me again
Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
When I see you again is a horror show. I had douche chills the first time I heard those vocals. Shivers.
Funny. I recall buying the cassette while on a trip t my parents and spending the whole 16 hour return drive playing 7 Wonders on one side, then flipping to get WISYA on the other. For hours. WISYA reached out and grabbed me at first listen. It is almost avant garde. I wish she had done more like it.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Funny. I recall buying the cassette while on a trip t my parents and spending the whole 16 hour return drive playing 7 Wonders on one side, then flipping to get WISYA on the other. For hours. WISYA reached out and grabbed me at first listen. It is almost avant garde. I wish she had done more like it.
I've always like WISYA as well. It's very similiar to "She Loves Him Still" which I feel is a superior song. They both have that element of desperate longing. I wonder if they were written around the same time. I've always loved the "well, at least there is a dream left..." line.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always loved the "well, at least there is a dream left..." line.[/QUOTE]

That is a great line, I always loved this song. The best part of " What's a matter baby" is the vocals and harmonies. I think the new MAC album is going to have a lot of those three beautiful voices. This will be their swan song.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
I've always like WISYA as well. It's very similiar to "She Loves Him Still" which I feel is a superior song. They both have that element of desperate longing. I wonder if they were written around the same time. I've always loved the "well, at least there is a dream left..." line.
I'd like to know why she's doing that strangled cat voice, like she did on Talk To Me with the veil a swelling tear line. Was she trying to sound like her '75 self?
Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
I'd like to know why she's doing that strangled cat voice, like she did on Talk To Me with the veil a swelling tear line. Was she trying to sound like her '75 self?

Not sure but I always LOVED it!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Not sure but I always LOVED it!
Me too! Rather than bellowed bland pseudo-rock.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
That is my favorite part of the song!!!! "To veil a swelling tear" She sounds so? I don't know? Crazy, unique, wild, out of control, only Stevie Nicks. I rewind and play that part over and over. Just like in If Anyone Falls: the last time she says "baby I see your shadow against the wall." And of course her growls and wails that she does in a few of her songs. There are great vocal moments in 1979 live album Sara. Nobody sounds like Stevie. Lindsey has a good voice and all, but it's just good. Not amazing! She is one of those voices that is recognizable. Only Stevie sounds like Stevie. She was destined to be heard. Strangled cat? Yea I can see that but it's f*ck*** Rock and roll. Not auto tuned pop

That's funny someone doesn't like that part. I though that all fans would. Have you ever heard a vocal like that? No

PS: I like What's the matter baby. So emotional you can hear the pain in her voice. Her lyrics. Plus Lindsey at the end makes it that much better.

Last edited by gssmith; 07-13-2014 at 11:03 PM..
Old 07-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've told this story before, but I was 13 years old when "Talk To Me" was released in 1985. I heard it on the radio one day and really liked it, but I fell madly in love with that voice the minute Stevie sang "to veil a swelling tear." It was so weird, unique and captivating. After that, I couldn't get enough and I begged for 'Rock A Little' for Christmas.

29 years later, I'm still madly in love with that voice.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
First off, I love Jane. It's a touching, genuine and heartfelt song. The word chimpanzee was unavoidable in a tribute to Jane Goodall.

If left to only *one* pick, it might be That Made Me Stronger. All in all, it's not terrible, but the fact that the music for a song *about writing that song yourself* was written by two others left me unimpressed, and amused at the irony.

Ghosts Are Gone is another on my personal worst-ever by Stevie list. It's just...clangy and brazen (not in a good way) and though I don't skip it, because I don't believe in skipping songs while listening to an album in full, I certainly do not like it in any way and typically will vaccuum or engage in some other distraction while it's playing.

Cry Wolf. Stick a fork in my ears, please. Or just turn it off. "Whaaance too often..." Ugh.

That's really it. I love Stevie's music, and I hear good things in almost every song she's ever released. I hear far better things in many songs that were never released, but that's another topic.
I have nothing to say (almost) other than you hit the nail on the head with what I would want to say. Apparently, you know me better than I l know myself. (... can you write this for me?)

When I play an album, I listen to it in its entirety. I've never been able to properly articulate my thoughts about Ghosts are Gone, but you did it for me. It's a good song trapped in production that is overwrought, and as you say, "clangy and brazen."

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-14-2014 at 12:13 PM..
Old 07-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Apparently, you know me better than I know myself. (... can you write this for me?)

No, you write your posts, yourself.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post

No, you write your posts, yourself.
Thanks! That made me stronger. I'm holding on to me now.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

That Made Me Stronger
Wide Sargasso Sea
The Highwayman (Good vocal but sucky song)
Sister Honey
I Sing For The Things
It's Only Love
Too Far From Texas
Love's A Hard Game To Play
Unconditional Love
Greta
Cheaper Than Free
Listen To The Rain
Love Is Like A River
Just Like A Woman
Jane
Fire Burning
Cry Wolf
Two Kinds Of Love
New Orleans
When I See You Again
The Second Time

I should be kicked off the ledge for disliking that many songs lol but I LOVE every other song besides this list. Who disagrees with me and what song and someone add to this list please!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
That Made Me Stronger
Wide Sargasso Sea
The Highwayman
Sister Honey
I Sing For The Things
It's Only Love
Greta
Listen To The Rain
Love Is Like A River
New Orleans
The Second Time
Get out.

Seriously though, I love "Wide Sargasso Sea", "The Highwayman", "Sister Honey", "Greta", "Love Is Like A River" and "New Orleans". LOVE them. The rest I either like or have no strong opinion on.