Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I can't wait for this tour to be over. Only three more days. Then hopefully all those American Horror Story teens will calm down.
That was ridiculous. lol
Old 04-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't wait for this Buckingham-McVie record to come out. I'm literally counting days. It reminds me of the excitement I felt right before ITM came out and we were all listening to those one-minute sound clips on her now-defunct website. Then the record came out and I played it endlessly for a year. I also love Lindsey's solo stuff and often prefer it to his band material. I'm so glad this project is surfacing as a duo!

That said, I DO still admire and adore Stevie. Am I disappointed and annoyed that she doesn't want to record new music with the band or write new material for her own records? Of course. Do I sense from her an anger and bitterness that suggests deeper issues than any of us could guess? Yes.

But I still credit her for the reason I came to the band in the first place. I must have watched the "Gypsy" video 4 billion times when it was released on MTV in 1982. I remember listening to every second of THE WILD HEART when it came out. I remember sensing a deterioration in her voice when I saw her live in 1985--and when I heard ROCK A LITTLE. I was no longer awed by her (by then I was totally into pre-BN FM stuff) but I admired her perseverance and was impressed with her vocal recovery by the time "Blue Denim" came out. She kicked butt on THE DANCE and contributed a number of great songs to SYW. Meanwhile TISL and especially IYD are, I think, pretty damn impressive solo albums. She's come a long way since 1985. She could have been a has been but is far from it. Her celebrity is arguably greater now than it ever was.

The deluxe remasters of BELLA DONNA and THE WILD HEART remind me of how powerful she was in her prime. That her vocal range and tone have changed is understandable, but she's singing as intelligently as she can now. I give her props. I could do without the selfies and the non-musical stuff, but...hey...I could do without the hairclip Christine wore when she first emerged from isolation back in 2013...or one of Lindsey's speeches before "Big Love."

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-01-2017 at 11:55 AM..
Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I can't wait for this Buckingham-McVie record to come out. I'm literally counting days. It reminds me of the excitement I felt right before ITM came out and we were all listening to those one-minute sound clips on her now-defunct website. Then the record came out and I played it endlessly for a year. I also love Lindsey's solo stuff and often prefer it to his band material. I'm so glad this project is surfacing as a duo!

I'm not gonna lie, I'd have prefer a FM album, but only if the five members of the band are truly invested in creating a decent project. Now that I know the true feelings behind it, I'm extremely happy and proud of these two musical partners.

Quote:
That said, I DO still admire and adore Stevie. Am I disappointed and annoyed that she doesn't want to record new music with the band or write new material for her own records? Of course. Do I sense from her an anger and bitterness that suggests deeper issues than any of us could guess? Yes.
Definitely. This has nothing to do with sales or the "year" it takes to record an album. I really don't know what her problem is, but one the glitter of this tour fades, and the BuckinghamMcVie album sees the light, she's probably gonna regret her decision.

Quote:
But I still credit her for the reason I came to the band in the first place. I must have watched the "Gypsy" video 4 billion times when it was released on MTV in 1982. I remember listening to every second of THE WILD HEART when it came out. I remember sensing a deterioration in her voice when I saw her live in 1985--and when I heard ROCK A LITTLE. I was no longer awed by her (by then I was totally into pre-BN FM stuff) but I admired her perseverance and was impressed with her vocal recovery by the time "Blue Denim" came out. She kicked butt on THE DANCE and contributed a number of great songs to SYW. Meanwhile TISL and especially IYD are, I think, pretty damn impressive solo albums. She's come a long way since 1985. She could have been a has been but is far from it. Her celebrity is arguably greater now than it ever was.
Haven't we all come to the band because of her? I love Bella Donna and TISL, and I also think she has made an impressive recovery but I also think there are many people to thank for that recovery especially since The Dance, and I don't see her as a grateful person. She seems to have selective memory. She's a very lucky person, IMO.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip; 04-02-2017 at 09:06 PM..
Old 04-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Haven't we all come to the band because of her?
nope.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
nope.
She was NEVER my favorite member.

Even back when she was good, and wrote decent songs!
Old 04-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I KNEW I was gonna get this reaction the minute I wrote it!

I'm not ashamed to say I knew her before I knew FM, back in '89. I adored Rooms on Fire from the infamous TOSOTM.

But the more I listened to the band the more I realized the talent behind it, and it rarely included her.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."

Last edited by button-lip; 04-02-2017 at 10:30 PM..
Old 04-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I KNEW I was gonna get this reaction the minute I wrote it!

I'm not ashamed to say I knew her before I knew FM, back in '89. I adored Rooms on Fire from the infamous TOSOTM.

But the more I listened to the band the more I realized the talent behind it, and it rarely included her.
That's why they keep me around here, to scare off the weirdos!

Of the "front people/songwriters", my favorites would be:
#1 Christine
#2 Lindsey
#3 Bob Welch
#4 Stevie

As "people", my favorites would be:
#1 Christine
#2 John
#3 Bob Welch
#4 Mick
#5 Lindsey
#6 Stevie
Old 04-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It took all of a few months for me to realize Christine was my favorite. I just wonder if I would have ever seen it if I, as a ten year old kid, hadn't been initially lured by the shiny dazzle of Stevie.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:17 PM

It took me all of 30 seconds to figure out Christine was my favorite. And Stevie just kept getting pushed down the more I learned about other members.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's why they keep me around here, to scare off the weirdos!

Of the "front people/songwriters", my favorites would be:
#1 Christine
#2 Lindsey
#3 Bob Welch
#4 Stevie

As "people", my favorites would be:
#1 Christine
#2 John
#3 Bob Welch
#4 Mick
#5 Lindsey
#6 Stevie
You still label Stevie as "people"?

My opinion of Lindsey is a bit higher than yours. Only because of all the years he has to put up with Stevie.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You still label Stevie as "people"?

My opinion of Lindsey is a bit higher than yours. Only because of all the years he has to put up with Stevie.
Well, it's official, you're now my FAVORITE new Ledgie! Welcome to my heart!!!

Yeah, I RESPECT him a lot, BUT he's still a spoiled rich kid, who cries or leaves when he doesn't get his way. I'm not good with spoiled assed people. Again, I respect the hell out of him, but I generally wanna smack spoiled brats.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It took all of a few months for me to realize Christine was my favorite. I just wonder if I would have ever seen it if I, as a ten year old kid, hadn't been initially lured by the shiny dazzle of Stevie.
I've always been a champion of the underdog. The unpopular kid, the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, etc...

And when I was a kid, I was just(literally) "a fan of the BAND". I wasn't really into personalities, but just the music. Then as my fandom grew, and I began reading magazine articles and stuff, I realized how much stronger Christine was, as a player and singer, and long time member of the band.

And "the cult of Stevie" just continued to grow and grow, and both Lindsey and Chris were pushed aside(and that just wasn't right), I began to....perhaps, be more open to their contributions, and not be blinded by THE CULT OF STEVIE.

I mean, no other member had classic songs by other artists, written about THEM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cshvbdf8j2s
Old 04-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, it's official, you're now my FAVORITE new Ledgie! Welcome to my heart!!!

Yeah, I RESPECT him a lot, BUT he's still a spoiled rich kid, who cries or leaves when he doesn't get his way. I'm not good with spoiled assed people. Again, I respect the hell out of him, but I generally wanna smack spoiled brats.
Awww, gee, thanks! I guess it was LOVE at first sight!

Well, you know, I respect him even more after this BuckinghamMcVie album. He put Christine before 17 year old Stevie, which to me means he's done with all her crap.
That's why she's probably talking about him in every damn concert.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 AM

I've always just thought 'don't meet your idols', after all what we all know isn't the real them, but just a distorted image made of info filtered by both our heroes themselves and the media and our own projected expectations and preassumptions.
That's also why I've never understood those people who decide their favourite musicians based on their supposed niceness. Most of the greatest musicians of all time were/are downright unpleasant people to say the least.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I've always just thought 'don't meet your idols', after all what we all know isn't the real them, but just a distorted image made of info filtered by both our heroes themselves and the media and our own projected expectations and preassumptions.
That's also why I've never understood those people who decide their favourite musicians based on their supposed niceness. Most of the greatest musicians of all time were/are downright unpleasant people to say the least.
in general, agree about not caring to meet any celebrities. as far as i'm concerned these people provide either culture or entertainment to my life, and i really don't care about their personal lives, collecting their autographs, and such stuff.

i also agree (for once! ) with Homer that like him i seem to be usually interested and drawn to underdogs or underappreciated, and not necessarily the most popular or flashy people.

after seeing a number of his shows and really enjoying them (plus because i had musical requests that i wanted to relay to him), i did want to meet Lindsey. which is really rare for me. i think extra part that made me curious about meeting him is his genius. i seem to be attracted to people who are extraordinary in what they do (and i don't think most celebrities are extraordinary, they are just in a highly visible business). so i ended up meeting Lindsey when he was doing meet and greets at his 2012 tour. and his m&gs were not just a quick take-a-photo-off-you-go like most m&gs are. he was open to actually really talk to fans, if they wanted to. so i have to say that in Lindsey's case, the old "don't meet your idols" is really turned on it's head - he is really down to earth and [especially considering all the rumors about his personality] extraordinarily nice man to his fans.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"