The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > Q&A Discussions

Old 08-16-2001, 09:07 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

I'm really hoping that a few people can pick up the ball here and run with it! I really think that a vote should happen soon too as it will be easier to push this petition further if we knew exactly what could be on the release. I really, really, really have my hands full now keeping everything else moving so I'd like a few people here to organize lists and set up the polls. Les and Johnny Stew perhaps? I can relay things back and forth to Ken if needed and he responds quite quickly. I think you should be shooting for between 90 min and 2 hr worth of footage as he is now indicating they can do more than the original 10-12 videos and wants this to be the best it can be.

We are now up to 738 people on the petition with 509 confirmed as I write this. If you registered for it but never received the confirmation letter (this seems much more prevalent on AOL), please just drop me a tiny note and I'll confirm it manually. Remember the goal is 10,000 so we have a very long way to go. I think its quite a good start for less than 2 days though.

- Marty
Old 08-16-2001, 09:39 PM
Gypsyblue

Is it possible to repost the "Warner Bros" list in a new thread in a "Poll" like format, and have everyone check off what they want from that list and then count it up???
I thinks it's the best way to get a clear idea of what people really want on the dvd.

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 08-16-2001 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

You can't do that with the format here; it only lets you vote a single time for a single item. Also, some people here have some of the footage already (although I'm sure its generations upon generations old) and can comment on it.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:01 PM
Gypsyblue

Perhaps we could start the poll by picking 3 videos/ Live performances (or more depending on space) each for Stevie, Lindsey and Chris, (which makes 9) and the rest behind the seen footage and interviews Tot: 12.
???

PS-
Sorry if I'm comming off as a "loud mouth" here, I'm just really really excited
Old 08-16-2001, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

I think an easier option really might be if a few different lists were prepared and we vote on those in their entirety (or discuss them a bit first). I think we're all excited about the possibilities here.

- Marty
Old 08-17-2001, 12:25 AM
Ledgie

Question Some random thoughts...

Okay, one thing I never thought of before...I was thinking about all the singles that have been released since the "video era" - basically since Mirage was put out - and it occured to me that Love In Store was released as a single (and it is one of my all-time fave FM songs), but I don't *think* there was a video made for it - was there? It's a shame if there was no video for that song, as the videos for the other 2 Mirage singles (Gypsy, Hold Me) were rather elaborate. Maybe Love In Store would have charted better if it had had a video.

Secondly, with the supposedly upcoming album from FM, I wonder if Warners would see a video compilation release as an opportunity to promote the new album. If so, I have 2 thoughts:
1) They may want to stick with only Rumours era material, with both Lindsey and Stevie since they will both be participating in the new album.

2) They may want to limit the Christine material, since she WON'T be participating in the new album.

That brought me to this thought...instead of having the compilation be just "concept videos" which would be heavily laden with post-Rumours line-up material and also be lopsided in terms of Christine material, what if we looked at a list that would include either the concept videos for or live performances of the singles from the White Album to Tango. If I'm not mistaken (although it's likely that I am, and if so, please feel free to correct me) this would include:

1. Over My Head (live)
2. Rhiannon (live)
3. Say You Love Me (live)
4. Go Your Own Way (live)
5. Dreams (live)
6. Don't Stop (live)
7. You Make Loving Fun (live)
8. Tusk (video)
9. Sara (live)
10. Think About Me (this *was* a single, right?) (live)
11. Hold Me (video)
12. Gypsy (video)
13. Love In Store (live, I guess, if there was no video, of which I'm not sure)
14. Big Love (video)
15. Little Lies (video)
16. Seven Wonders (video)
17. Everywhere (video)

Okay, now I know that this list is still VERY lopsided with regard to Chris versus Lindsey/Stevie material (Chris - 9 songs, Stevie - 5 songs, Lindsey - 3 songs); however, of the first 10 selections, only Tusk actually had a video. Therefore, the other 9 of the first 10 would have to be represented by live performances of the songs. Now, I realize that this doesn't change the fact that a lot of those songs are Christine's, but I feel that including the live performances would at least show a lot of Lindsey and Stevie's participation in the songs. One example of this that I'm thinking of is Over My Head (from Rosebud? I think - the outdoor concert where Lindsey is wearing the red shirt. ). Even though it's Chris's song, you see Stevie and Lindsey singing harmony, Lindsey doing the little guitar licks, Stevie singing harmony and doing the "round and round finger/hand motions" on the "your mood is like a circus wheel..." part.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you had a list like this one, you would be:

1) Sticking with Rumours line-up material, which at this point might be the most attractive to the general public and casual fans. This could be better for sales, not to mention for use as a promotional tool for the new album.

2) Allowing for a *bit* more of Lindsey and Stevie's material to be included by including the "pre-video era" live performances (like Rhiannon and Go Your Own Way).

3) Balancing out the fact that most songs are *still* Christine material by showing in the live performance clips that, although they were Chris' songs, Stevie and Lindsey's roles in the songs' performances were both integral and essential. You would get to see alot of the onstage chemistry that the band members had with each other, which is something exciting to see and is severely lacking in the polished "concept" videos.

4) Achieving a balance between the concept videos and the live performances (9 or so live, 8 concept) - a mixture of this would, in my opinion, be much more fun and exciting to watch than just concept video after concept video. For example, as others have previously mentioned, the Everywhere video is a bit "dry" as far as band involvement...but after that maybe throw in Stevie's live "exorcism" performance of Rhiannon, and you can keep MY attention! Face it, a HUGE part of the appeal of Fleetwood Mac (Rumours era, especially) is the chemistry between the band members, and that is something you really only get from a live performance.

5) Using the live footage as a promotional tool for the video compilation: "Includes rare live performances of Over My Head, Rhiannon, and Go Your Own Way!"

6) I don't know if this would be possible or not, but if the release of the video collection would be fairly close to the release of the new FM album, but prior to, what about including a video for the first single from the new album "Bonus track: video for [song title], from the upcoming Fleetwood Mac album [album title]" Again, I don't know of all the red tape that might generate, so it may not be possible at all, but it's a thought. That way, people who buy the video collection will get a preview of the new album and possibly buy that too, or people who buy the album might buy the video collection for the new video? Would the inclusion of something like this be a possibility at all? Ken?? Marty?? Anyone???

Hey, I can even see a title now:
Fleetwood Mac: The Singles Collection
Videos plus live performances from the Grammy Award winning band
PLUS new video Bonus Track!

The inclusion of live tracks could also be great marketing for other future releases. If you give people a taste of Sara (from the Tusk doc), or Love in Store (from the live Mirage show), or one of the Rosebud performances, then they might run out and buy those dvd's too if they were to be released (or re-released) in the future.

I don't know; I could be barking up the wrong tree, but I would find a collection of this nature very appealing. Feel free to shoot me down, though. I won't mind...really...

Lori

PS: Actually, I honestly look forward to any thoughts/opinions you all have, so please, let's hear them!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi All

I am still of the opinion of having ALL the videos on one release for continuaty. If we can now have up to 2 hours on the DVD then surely we can have the 14 videos posted by Johnny Stew and then maybe Rhiannon, Go Your Own Way and Sara live.

We may never get another opportunity to get this video complilation released again, so I feel it is really importent to get it right with all the videos on it.

Any thhoughts?

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 08-17-2001, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Hmmm...

A great idea, but I too, would personally rather keep all the music videos together. Besides, I think we still wouldn't be able to use the live version of "Love in store" from the Mirage video because of the rights being owned by HBO and not Warners. (Does anyone know of an alternate version that exists to be used if this route is decided upon?)

What if we stick with Johnny Stew's list of the 14 videos as a base and add say, the different versions of videos that exist like the one of "Seven wonders", making of "Gypsy" footage etc., and outtakes footage and/or add some of the solo videos to bring it up to the newly allowed time limit say like, Lindsey's, Mick's, and the ones of Stevie's that do not appear already on her "I can't wait" video compilation. This along with the fact that "Got a hold on me" & "Love will show us how" should be omitted due to the fact that they appear already on the "Christine Mcvie the video album" collection (both tapes we could hopefully get released on disc as future releases), would be a plus because it would:

1. help "even out" the songwriters equal space problem a little and

2. it would keep all the videos together.

What do you guys think? I know "all" the videos that I've described probably won't fit into a two hour time frame but at least if we can use the Johnny Stew list and add these to it and then subtract if we go over. It might make it easier and take less time to compile as a possible list since as Marty says we need to really buckle down and get some set lists together here. Any thoughts on this (just a suggestion from my humble but what seems to be my loudmouth opinion right now but I hope it's not coming out that way, I'm just excited about it as everyone else is!) Let's hear what you think!

John
Old 08-17-2001, 09:38 AM
Junior Ledgie

I like that idea, John. I also think maybe the television commercials for Tango and The Chain could be cool little bonus features. And there'd be no problem with putting just little 15-second hunks of footage like that on the DVD.

~Brian
Old 08-17-2001, 10:03 AM
Gypsyblue

1. Over My Head (live)
2. Rhiannon (live ......anything out there besides Rosebud and Midnight Special??
3. Say You Love Me (live)
4. Go Your Own Way (live)
5. Dreams (live)
7. You Make Loving Fun (live)
8. Tusk (video)
9. Sara (live)
10. Think About Me (this *was* a single, right?) (live)
11. Hold Me (video)
12. Gypsy (video)
13. Big Love (video)
14. Little Lies (video)
15. Seven Wonders (video)
16. Everywhere (video)

I really like Lori's set list. ( I made a abbriviated list above due to space)
I agree with her that we should'nt be tied down to just a Concept video format. Perhaps we should have a mixture of Live performances and also videos??
Old 08-17-2001, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePenguin
I really, really, really have my hands full now keeping everything else moving so I'd like a few people here to organize lists and set up the polls. Les and Johnny Stew perhaps? I can relay things back and forth to Ken if needed and he responds quite quickly. I think you should be shooting for between 90 min and 2 hr worth of footage as he is now indicating they can do more than the original 10-12 videos and wants this to be the best it can be.
Johnny Stew? You up for this? I'll email you and we can pull the suggestions together from everyone so far and post some lists and start taking votes. Sound okay? But everyone, please keep listing your ideas!
Old 08-17-2001, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question music vids list, OK how's 'bout this?

For those of you leaning towards the music video idea, since we need to get some kind of list together, how about this for a start and we can edit as we go along. I just thought we should get 'em all down and it then might be easier to decide as Marty has done alot of work getting this thing moving and he needs us to get some lists together and I'm hoping the initial release will be the music vids (if this takes off then I'm all for delving into the live stuff and the cheapest, fastest and easiest way to get it all out of the vaults and into our hands is not having duplication so that's why I think it would be best to just have the first release be more "everyday buyer" friendly to get their trust and get them "on our side" as it were. Then, we can hope to hit them up for the really great stuff! he he!) So those interested in the music vid list, any additions/subtractions?

1. Tusk
2. Hold me
3. Gypsy
4. Big love
5. Seven wonders
6. Seven wonders (alt. version)
7. Little lies
8. Family man
9. Everywhere
10. As long as you follow
11. Save me
12. Skies the limit
13. In the back of my mind
14. Paper doll
15. Love shines
16. (SN) Edge of seventeen (version 1)
17. (SN) Edge of seventeen (version 2)
18. (SN) Edge of seventeen (version 3)
19. (SN) Stand back (civil war version)
20. (SN) Talk to me (alt. version)
21. (SN) Rooms on fire
22. (SN) Whole lotta trouble
23. (SN) Sometimes it's a bitch
24. (SN) Blue denim
25. (SN) If you ever did believe
26. (SN) Everyday
27. (SN) Sorcerer
28. (LB) Trouble
29. (LB) It was I
30. (LB) Holiday road
31. (LB) Go insane
32. (LB) Slow dancing
33. (LB) Wrong
34. (LB) Countdown
35. (LB) Don't look down
36. (LB) Soul drifter
37. (MF) I want you back
38. (MF) Angel come home
39. (MF) Shakin' the cage

I could think of other related videos that would be cool too but as Ken says "2 or maybe 3 hours", if you say an avarage of four minutes a video then this is probably about 2 hours 40 minutes in duration so if we are allowed 3 hours then I guess the other 20 or so minutes could be used for the making of footage and outtakes etc. (we may even need to take out some videos (which I'd hate to do because it would be good to have it be as complete as possible but...) to make room for that as I don't know how long that footage would add up to time wise). I left off Christine's solo videos and Stevie's ones from her "I can't wait" video compilation (besides, from the packaging it looks like it was put out on VHS by the same company that re-released the Mirage concert tape in the late eighties so those Stevie vids may fall under the licensing of HBO too so I don't know if we can touch those anyways) because I would hope those could be straightforward disc re-releases in the future if we can get this first one off the ground (and maybe if the company that does own the HBO stuff will see that it would sell and put those out too themselves, possibly with another petition which would be sent to them if that would help but one thing at a time). If it should be 90 min to 2 hours and no more than that (as Ken seems to be quoted as saying as well), I would vote for the music vid compliation of just the Mac vids (I realize that it's mainly Christine penned songs but at least all the vids would be together and the difference with it being a video is that in most of the vids anyways all of the members can been seen throughout so it wouldn't be as lopsided as all of that) also, as they would include the audio of the actual studio tracks of course, imagine what Ken could do with the sound on the DVD versions, it would be especially interesting to see what he would do with the mixes of the post 1983 stuff as he wasn't involved originally. So, if that added up to say an hour than the other hour could be the special features/bonus materials section with the outtakes/ making of stuff. There are probably other alternate versions etc. that I've left out so any one leaning towards the music video approach, let's get to work! What should we add/minus from here? (by all means live clips people, get your final list together too and let's see what we got!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 08-17-2001 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2001, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Les, feel free to email me.
I'd be more than happy to work with you on this.

Everyone's lists look great.
I think we should nix any solo material though. We have way too much stuff to try and narrow down as it is, from Fleetwood Mac's output alone. Solo material will needlessly complicate things right now.
At least that's my opinion.

Remember, if we make this release successful enough, they'll be more inclined to release an additional volume(s).

Johnny Stew
Old 08-17-2001, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

By the way.... after we started discussing it, and Les and Neil described it... the "Family Man" video started to sound vaguely familiar to me.
So I rummaged thru my tape collection last night, and sure enough, I found it!
Once I watched it, i immediately remembered it... I also immediately remembered why it made so little impression on me.
*lol*

It's not even "outtake" footage from the "Seven Wonders" video shoot, it IS footage from the video. Interspersed with old stock footage of "families"... or at least gatherings of people!

If this were Video Survivor, I'd vote that one off right away!
*lol*

Johnny Stew
Old 08-17-2001, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile OK Johnny

I'll go for that, only band stuff, OK so in reference to my last post, I'll just make it be the list of the first 15 which times 4 minutes a vid comes to an hour and with the making of & outtake footage, that should bring it up to about 90 minutes at least but probably more. There's no way it would be more than 2 hours though (and 90 minutes to 2 hours is now of course the suggested running time) but if it is, I'm happy to cut out redundant videos like "Family man" if need be. Anyone else like this 15 videos with "extras" band only release idea? (for those of you leaning towards the music videos list)

John