User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
1. Non commercial - did everything to make it un-Rumours i.e. double album, unpop like songs, album cover, etc. Did not embrace disco like the Stones or Kiss did.
2. Creativity - allowed mostly Lindsey but others to explore songs they could not have done on other records
3. Double album - double the music - double the fun
4. The writing - some of the best written Mac songs are on the album
5. The end of an era. It was released just a month or so before the end of the 70's decade. It was also the end of the Mac before any solo albums. It was the last page in a chapter for the band. We never saw this side of the Mac again. Everything was about to change and welcome to the 80's and beyond.
Everything you said. You hit all the bases!
Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up LOVE Tusk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
1. Non commercial - did everything to make it un-Rumours i.e. double album, unpop like songs, album cover, etc. Did not embrace disco like the Stones or Kiss did.
2. Creativity - allowed mostly Lindsey but others to explore songs they could not have done on other records
3. Double album - double the music - double the fun
4. The writing - some of the best written Mac songs are on the album
5. The end of an era. It was released just a month or so before the end of the 70's decade. It was also the end of the Mac before any solo albums. It was the last page in a chapter for the band. We never saw this side of the Mac again. Everything was about to change and welcome to the 80's and beyond.
I also agree with all you've said about Tusk, I LOVE Tusk. Yes Rumours will always be the one that gets 'talked' about but as much as I do love those songs I love Tusk more. There are MORE songs, there different than the Rumours era. I love Stevie's voice than. I do look forward to this new deluxe version thats being released. I just hope that they give us some cool outtake photos. I mean this bands had TONS of great photos taken please show us more of them. Tusk will be #1 for me. The one mistake that was made when the record company played it in full on the radio back in the day. Its like go ahead and ruin your record sales and let people tape it off the radio. Its like who thought this was a great idea? Anyway, just some thoughts.
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
It's cool that it was a double album, but it really didn't need to be. All those minute and two minute songs, cut those and enhance all the others instead.
That assessment could apply to the Beatles White album. It was their only double album, and is very Tusk-like in it's departure from the norm. Each writer had songs that were in sharp contrast to the others.

It was deliberate decision to make Tusk a double album, giving each writer some breathing room.

It's only a matter of opinion, but I think those short songs are an essential reprieve between the long songs. They add diversity and unique character to the album. Tusk would not be Tusk without them. When Tusk was released, it was so unexpected that it was a challenge to fully appreciate it. Like many fans, I wished it sounded more like their two previous records. Fast forward: I'm elated that it sounds nothing like those albums.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-13-2015 at 11:15 PM..
Old 11-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Not sure I have 5, but:
1) That one-two punch of Over and Over/The Ledge that signals you're in for something different.
2) The fact that this is everyone at the height of their powers artistically, vocally.
3) Sara. I know some people don't like it, but this is beautiful and all the elements here are spot on. Playing, harmonizing, the Stevie-ness of it all lyrically. And the live performances from the era are all brilliant from what I've heard.

Maybe I'll add 2 later, but I feel like I covered it
Old 11-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Sara might be Stevie's best song. We can't give her all the credit though, the piano tune on Sara is what makes the song, in my opinion. So thank you Christine for that beautiful piece of art. John's bass is brilliant too. I love his style on all of the songs, but the bass always works particularly well on Stevie's songs. Lindsey is also great for putting the song together, but the guitar should have been much more subtle. There are parts of the song where the guitar takes away from the piano. I think Sara world have been even better if it was even more piano heavy with a nice steady subtle guitar strumming in the background.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I only need one reason to love Tusk. It was the last time Fleetwood Mac recorded an album for the art of it all. Since then, it's all been about economics.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Sara might be Stevie's best song. We can't give her all the credit though, the piano tune on Sara is what makes the song, in my opinion. So thank you Christine for that beautiful piece of art. John's bass is brilliant too. I love his style on all of the songs, but the bass always works particularly well on Stevie's songs. Lindsey is also great for putting the song together, but the guitar should have been much more subtle. There are parts of the song where the guitar takes away from the piano. I think Sara world have been even better if it was even more piano heavy with a nice steady subtle guitar strumming in the background.
^This.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
I read a review where the writer says the beauty of Over and Over is that it lulls the listener into a false sense of security. On first listen you settle into this comfortable feeling that this is going to be a continuation of what you've had from Fleetwood Mac and Rumors... and then The Ledge just kicks your butt and from there on in the rest of the album is a roller coaster ride.
I LOVE this take on the opening track of "TUSK". The "false sense of security" theory is DEAD ON. WOW!!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I only need one reason to love Tusk. It was the last time Fleetwood Mac recorded an album for the art of it all. Since then, it's all been about economics.
You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!! I couldn't agree more with this statement.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Though I adore every track on Tusk, here are the five things I love most about the album:

1. Sara
2. Beautiful Child
3. Storms
4. Angel
5. Sisters of the Moon

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 01-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Stevie's songs. All 5 are 150% masterpiece and brilliant. I agree that Sara is amazing and I love the live performances.

2. The song Tusk. Love it. Love the video with Stevie in her sun dress and the baton. Love the Marching Band. Loved when they showed up for the Dance. Love that it gives them a chance to dance around on stage.

3. The Album cover and inside covers. I always loved the look of the record. The color of the cover. The dog. The band pictures. Stellar.

4. Live Over and Over. You don't see it coming from the record but the song does really well live. It should be played again.

5. I Know I'm Not Wrong. Catchy tune. One of Lindsey's best.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've only been through it once, but the once that stood out to me was the alternate Over and Over. I liked hearing just Lindsey singing it at the end.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick
Christine
Stevie
John
Lindsey
Old 01-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

While I agree Christine's playing is stellar, and Richard/Ken/Lindsey's production of layering in several piano tracks is brilliant, the actual riff of that song is all Stevie's. Listen to her songwriting demo-- not the studio demo with drums and bass and guitar and backing vocals, but her actual songwriting demo with just her and the piano. It's exactly what you hear on the finished song. Christine has always been great at taking just what Stevie wrote and played and just doing it better.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

5 main reasons:
"Walk a Thin Line"
"What Makes You Think You're the One"
"Think About Me"
"Sisters of the Moon"
"Tusk"

honorable mentions:
"The Ledge"
"I Know I'm Not Wrong"

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"