The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile. At. You. Amazing bass line and so glad it's as up front in the mix as it is. Stunning.

One of the best things to happen to Stevie's music ever was Mick and John. John especially. Her solo stuff with sh&tty drum machines and crap will never compare.

One of the reasons I really like what Dave Grohl did on You Can't Fix This (which is a pretty mediocre song) was that he produced it to incorporate all the great musical attributes of her work with FM, most notably a full bass sound--- a characteristic it only had because of John
Old 04-15-2016, 01:44 PM

Caroline has some amazing bass parts.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My god, he is just the best. I took up playing the bass because of him and I think that his bass parts complete FM's songs. I could list examples but it would take me too long.

Not sure whether he's the greatest bass player of all time but what his parts and playing style bring to the songs is unparalleled in my opinion. He is irreplaceable in the band as his style is so unique and synonymous with Fleetwood Mac. I love him as you can probably tell. He's a genius.

Btw, the Say You Will album is a great showcase of his talents and what he can do to transform a song.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Registered

love John, great guy, great bass player. Extremely talented and underrated.

Hope all is well for him and his family
Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Caroline has some amazing bass parts.
I know you love that song but that is definitely a Lindsey solo song that made it to Tango. Very little group effort there. It sounds like a computer programmed bass line that Lindsey used heavily in the 80's. I would be surprised if John or anyone else in the band had anything to do with that song.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I know you love that song but that is definitely a Lindsey solo song that made it to Tango. Very little group effort there. It sounds like a computer programmed bass line that Lindsey used heavily in the 80's. I would be surprised if John or anyone else in the band had anything to do with that song.
I thought of that, but it sounds so McVie that I believe it's him.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking John...

is still the only reason I can still tolerate this band, his bass is solid and has been very much from the get-go...Besides I still laugh at his answer to my questions back from 2007:

Hello John, Thanks for answering another round of questions on the Ledge, It is much appreciated. Here's my question, Which is not music related: Since it is known that you're a person who enjoys sailing, has there ever been a time where you're love of sailing has put you in fear for your life? Such as being caught in a storm and rough seas. Thanks, Brian j.

ps-Bassists are much smarter than we are given credit for!

Hi Brian, Thanks for the question, Yes there's a few times. And I can go on for quite a while! SO AT THE RISK OF BORING YOU...

The first was on the first trip to Hawaii. I've done six. On a 43' Ketch called "Adelie". Back in the '70's. It was a night watch but with a moon. Just myself on watch with a 4 man crew total. The lads were below and asleep. We were about halfway to Hawaii. The swells were getting bigger , it was a following sea, and in the moonlight I turned around because I could hear this "roar' and I swear I saw this wave that was so big, higher than the mast which was about 50-60', I just hunched down and waited for it. I was strapped in but I really thought that "This is it". It broke just behind us! Talk about " Pass my Brown trousers!".

Another was off Cape Hatteras, going up from St Thomas to Bar Harbor, Maine. This time on a 63' Sparkman and Stephens Aluminum sloop, "Challenge". Just at sunset a squall came up from nowhere. Again, I was driving and the wind was so damned strong and came up so quick we couldn't reef in time so we were laid right over and again, i thought,"This is it, we're going to drive ourselves under". The rain was coming horizontally, you couldn't even look forward, it was so painful. Like BB Pellets. Finally managed to fire up the engine,fall off the wind and get the lads up, drop the headsail and put two reefs in the main. The engine saved us. It was very close.

Anyway, there's a lot more stories. Encounters with Whales, Real Pirates, Smugglers, that I won't bore you with. Thank you for reminding me of this ! I have'nt thought about this in a long while and I think I'll dig my Log Books out. All the best! John AAAAARGH MATEY!!!

P.s. Then there was the time Miss Puerto Rico boarded us. It was a desperate struggle, mano y mano..... to be continued..............

P.s. Bass players do it deeper.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."