Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Fest Finale - The Chain / Don't Stop

Doyle Branhall II - Black Magic Woman

KT Tunstall - You Make Loving Fun

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Jess Wolfe & Holly Laessig - I Don't Wanna Know

Elvis Perkins - World Turning

Danny Masterson, Adam Busch & Bijou Phillips - Second Hand News

Jamestown Revival - Never Going Back Again

Noah Gundersen - Little Lies

Ruby Amanfu - I'm So Afraid

Cold War Kids - Man Of The World

Butch Walker - Second Hand News

Jessie Baylin - Gypsy

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 02-12-2016, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

L. A. Weekly

http://www.laweekly.com/music/the-st...point-6582698#!

By Daniel Kohn Wednesday, February 10, 2016 | 2 days ago

The Star-Studded Fleetwood Mac Fest at the Fonda Did Not Disappoint

Since the Best Fest — the charity concert series benefiting Sweet Relief that originated in New York City — arrived in Los Angeles in 2012, it's become one of the more popular nights for musicians to come out and pay tribute to various rock legends, all for a good cause. Beginning with Petty Fest, then Stones Fest, George Fest (honoring George Harrison) and last year’s Brian Fest (for Brian Wilson), Best Fest returns this week with the two-night Fleetwood Mac Fest.
advertisement

The past half-decade has been kind to the soft-rock favorites, as their popularity has resurged, particularly among a younger generation of fans. The band played at the Hollywood Bowl in 2013 and reunited with longtime singer/keyboardist Christine McVie the following year as part of a full-fledged reunion of the band’s best-known lineup.

Unlike last year's Brian Fest, which featured few collaborations until the man himself took the stage, the 28-song, 2½-hour Mac extravaganza featured numerous one-off pairings and even a reunion or two. Unfortunately, that didn’t include any members of the Mac showing up as guests of honor. Even so, the night featured plenty of crowd-pleasing Fleetwood Mac hits, deep cuts and even some Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham solo material.

As the whiskey flowed, the boozy crowd and relaxed performers treated the charity event like a glorified bar session. The performances for the most part were far from crisp, but as Best Fest's resident backing group, the Cabin Down Below Band, took the wheel, the featured singers and musicians found a comfort zone that allowed them to do their best imitation of whichever band member they were channeling.

“I’m not a great karaoke singer,” Dead Sara singer Emily Armstrong confessed to the sweaty crowd before her take on “

Armstrong’s assessment was as spot-on as her version of the Stevie Nicks classic-rock radio staple. Jack Dishel’s take on Buckingham’s “Holiday Road” had some fans hoping Christie Brinkley would pop up. An early highlight was Carly Rae Jepsen, fresh off her appearance on Grease Live and showcasing her vocal range and maturity, reminding attendees that she isn’t merely a one-hit wonder.

Though it's nearly impossible to replicate Stevie Nicks' vocal style, her fashion sense is a different story, and several singers paid homage with their outfits. Phases’ Z Berg wore an ensemble that likely would have piqued Nicks’ fashion sense when the band performed “Everywhere,” and the same goes for sister duo The Pierces, whose version of “Say You Love Me” was true to the original. Courtney Love was on her best behavior for most of a relatively subdued "Silver Springs," at least until she flashed her panties to the crowd.

The title of the night’s most versatile performer went to Karen Elson. Though she’s known more for her modeling career (and for being Jack White's ex) than her music, Elson showed tremendous range. First trading vocals with Last Man on Earth star Will Forte on “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around,” then delivering her own spirited version of “Rhiannon,” and finally taking on “The Chain” with Butch Walker and Alison Mosshart, Elson more than held her own with the varying degrees of talent she was paired with.

Mosshart also appeared with hit-making producer Mark Ronson on a dark version of “Dreams.” Under blue stage lights, with Ronson on guitar and backed by Cabin Down Below Band, Mosshart’s reinterpretation of Nicks' vocals was one of the night’s highlights — as was the moment when she got on Butch Walker’s shoulders as he knocked out the solo on “The Chain.”

The night’s big finale of “Don’t Stop” was so rousing it would have even cheered up the Clintons on a tough primary day. With everyone filling the stage, there was little room to maneuver. That didn’t stop Walker, Farrell and Sarah Silverman — whose “Go Your Own Way” was as fun as it was chaotic — from enjoying themselves and reminding the audience that the Fleetwood Mac songbook remains one of the most important in rock.

Set list:

Tusk – CDB Band
Hold Me – Carly Rae Jepsen
I Don’t Wanna Know – Jess & Holly of Lucius
World Turning – Elvis Perkins
Holiday Road – Jack Dishel
Little Lies – Noah Gunderson
Second Hand News – Danny Masterson, Adam Busch & Bijou Philips
Edge of Seventeen – Emily Armstrong
Never Going Back Again – Jamestown Revival
Say You Love Me – The Pierces
I’m So Afraid – Ruby Amanfu
Landslide – Dhani & Mereki
Everywhere - Phases
Monday Morning – Butch Walker
Gypsy – Jessie Baylin
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around – Will Forte, Karen Elson, Brian Bell
Rhiannon – Karen Elson
Black Magic Woman – Doyle Bramhall II
Man of the World – Cold War Kids
You Make Loving Fun – KT Tunstall
Stand Back - Juliette Lewis
Beautiful Child – Joanna Newsom
Go Your Own Way – Sarah Silverman & Butch Walker
Silver Springs – Courtney Love
Dreams – Alison Mosshart & Mark Ronson
Gold Dust Woman – Perry & Etty Farrell
The Chain – Karen Elson, Butch Walker, Alison Mosshart
Don’t Stop - FINALE
Old 02-13-2016, 12:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Beautiful Child

If there is a video of Joanna Newsom performing...I would love to see it. I can't imagine she's everyone's cup of tea, but her show blew me away a couple months ago. Very unexpected. And that song choice could be phenomenal.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's kind of disappointing that only two songs from Tusk got played. Despite much talk of how the album has proved to be so influential, I sometimes wonder if this is more honoured in the breach than in the observance...

Three solo Stevie tunes seems a bit much.

It would really have been too much to ask that someone might have had the imagination to pluck something from 1971-1974, I suppose.

I'm sorry to be a curmudgeon!

Still, it looks like fun was had by all.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 02-13-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Old 02-13-2016, 08:31 AM

I've just started listening Stevie's songs and for now I liked only Gold Dust Woman, The Chain, Edge Of Seventeen, too bad there's not a video of Beautiful Child. Courtney and Juliette Lewis aren't suited for the songs they chose.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to take a listen to these.Most of these people I never herd of.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 02-13-2016, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
It's kind of disappointing that only two songs from Tusk got played. Despite much talk of how the album has proved to be so influential, I sometimes wonder if this is more honoured in the breach than in the observance...

Three solo Stevie tunes seems a bit much.

It would really have been too much to ask that someone might have had the imagination to pluck something from 1971-1974, I suppose.

I'm sorry to be a curmudgeon!

Still, it looks like fun was had by all.
I agree with you. I was hoping that someone would do a Bob Welch era song and some more deeper cuts. They also could have done without Stevie's solo work. I do understand including "Stand Back" since it was once a part of the setlist. I guess they were just following FM's lead with catering to casual fans.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really mad that I just found out about this. It looks like it was pretty cool.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
[B]
Butch Walker - Second Hand News

Hehehe....this is actually Monday Morning.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Examiner February 17, 2016

Best Fest honors Fleetwood Mac at the Fonda for 2 nights

http://www.examiner.com/review/best-...a-for-2-nights

5 out of 5 *****

Fleetwood Mac Tribute

Best Fest returned to the Fonda last week for 2 nights (Feb. 9/10). In 2014 The Cabin Down Below Band (CBD) brought us George [Harrison] Fest and in 2015 Brian [Wilson] Fest. This year it was Fleetwood Mac Fest. The event features songs by the artist honored with their band and as a solo artist such as performing Brian Wilson solo songs and Beach Boys songs or George Harrison solo songs and Beatles songs. This year we got 2 nights of Fleetwood Mac hits as well Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks solo hits. Once again the proceeds went towards Sweet Relief to help musicians in need and Jameson was the big sponsor of the night. Starting at close to 9 P.M. the CDB band took the stage and opened with “Tusk.” Throughout the 28 (night 1) 27 (Night 2) songs performed throughout the night everyone got to hear their favorite song performed by celebrities and musicians. There were performers that have played Best Fest before and some first timers. Both nights were very similar sets and almost all the same performers.

After “Tusk,” the first guest of the tonight was none other than Carly Rae Jepsen who will be performing a solo show at the Fonda Feb. 25th Jepsen performed “Hold Me,” and gave an incredible performance. On night two Allison Pierce performed “Hold Me.” A big highlight came up on song 3 “I Don’t Wanna Know,” from Jess and Holly from Lucius singing as a duet on a double sided mic dressed in gold outfits both nights. Following was Elvis Perkins for the mind blowing song “World Turning.” The dance floor opened up on the next song which is a Buckingham solo hit from the movie Vacation. Things settled down with “Little Lies,” coming after sung by Noah Gundersen, which was a surprise being a Christine McVie led song, but it was a great fit. For “Never Going Back Again,” chairs were brought out for Jamestown revival for an all acoustic version of the song.

To perform the Steve Nicks’ classic “Edge Of Seventeen” was Dead Sara’s Emily Armstrong who kept everyone on their toes with a very powerful rendition of the song. Next was another song that kept the dance floor going “Rhiannon,” with Karen Elson. Once again things calmed down for an amazing performance of Landslide from Dhani Harrison and Mereki. Harrison played an unforgettable solo. Actor Danny Masterson was announced and came out saying how he wanted to bring some acting friends with him so he brought out his wife Bijou Phillips and from the TV show Men at Work, Adam Busch. They performed a high energy “Second Hand News.” Phases came out next and did a beautiful rendition of “Everywhere.”

Ruby Amanfu came out to sing “I’m So Afraid,” which is the final track off the self titled Fleetwood Mac album in 1975 that was the first to include Buckingham and Nicks. A frequenter of Best Fest’s Butch Norton did “Monday Morning,” and blew everyone away as he always does. This was only half way through the show with another 14 songs to go. Another big hit was sang by Jessie Baylin and it was none other than “Gypsy.” “Say You Love Me,” brought together the Pierce sisters on an amazing duet. A really groundbreaking performance came from Doyle Bramhall II on a song that couldn’t have been more fitting, the Peter Green led Fleetwood Mac classic “Black Magic Woman.”

The only band to play as a special guest was Cold War Kids performing “Man of the World.” The next big celebrity was Will Forte along with Karen Elson and Weezer Guitarist Brian Bell on “You Make Lovin’ Fun.” It was impossible not to laugh when Forte sang the Tom Petty Verses. To sing the groovy “ You Make Lovin’ Fun” was KT Tunstall. The craziest performance of the night was Juliette Lewis on the Stevie Nicks’ “Stand Back.” Lewis ran around the stage and did all kinds of moves. Only on night was “Beautiful Child,” sang by Joanna Newsom. Comedian Sarah Silverman joined by Butch Walker performed “Go Your Own Way,” which everyone was dancing to. A big guest came out for “Silver Springs,” and it was none other than Courtney Love who performed the song barefoot.

The last 4 songs of the show started with “Dreams” sung by The Kills and Dead Weather’s Alison Mosshart and fresh from the Superbowl 2 days earlier Mark Ronson. An amazing duet of Husband and Wife Perry and Etty Farrell came next for “Gold Dust Woman.” As always Perry Farrell is an amazing guest at Best Fest. Now there were just 2 songs left. The Farrells along with Tunstall, Walker, Mosshart, and Armstrong all performed the chain. With there being just one song of the night left it had to be “Don’t Stop,” which included all the performers throughout the night. On the first night Mosshart got on top of Walkers shoulders during the solo. It was an incredible night with Best Fest once again and the CBD always serves as a great house band and leaders of the show.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:30 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
If there is a video of Joanna Newsom performing...I would love to see it. I can't imagine she's everyone's cup of tea, but her show blew me away a couple months ago. Very unexpected. And that song choice could be phenomenal.
I have a snippet I recorded of her doing (and totally ruining) Beautiful Child. I'll try to get it on YouTube later and post the link here...
Old 02-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Ledgie

Default Beautiful Child

Sorry that it's so crazy shaky.... I wasn't *totally* sober lol. So my apologies for it looking like I'm having a seizure basically...

https://youtu.be/SOvAfms8TAc
Old 02-23-2016, 11:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Thanks!

Even just seeing a little bit of Newsom doing BC is great!