User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Makes me wonder if Brits have a hard time reading some American interviews of Mac members?
Speaking for myself, no. Not at all. We Brits have been thoroughly colonised since the 70s, and are entirely au fait with US English. As a copy editor, I am in fact often briefed to remove Americanisms from native British writers' work.

Loz
Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I think it was pretty normal to be even just a little homophobic in the 60s/70s right? Maybe not but it's nice to convince yourself.
'60s & '70s? Open, flagrant homophobia was perfectly acceptable well into the '90s. They were still calling us "fags" in movies and song lyrics into the late '80s, at least.

Everyone loves Ellen now, but people were ready to burn her at the stake when she came out back in '97. She had a really hard time getting work for several years after that, yet now she's a bigger name than she ever was. And it's not because she went back into the closet, or "stopped flaunting her sexuality" or some such nonsense. Times have changed.

It would not surprise me if Christine, Mick, Lindsey, John, and even Stevie were at least a little homophobic well into the 1980s, if not later.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
are you sure that wasn't homer/ lol
Are you implying that I like to drink, bash Steve E., and praise Christine?

Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Are you implying that I like to drink, bash Steve E., and praise Christine?

never!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
It would not surprise me if Christine, Mick, Lindsey, John, and even Stevie were at least a little homophobic well into the 1980s, if not later.
How can 5 drag queens be homophobic!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
How can 5 drag queens be homophobic!
John is the only exception, in that troupe!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
John is the only exception, in that troupe!
4 drag queens and a bass player
Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Guess that's true:

Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
Speaking for myself, no. Not at all. We Brits have been thoroughly colonised since the 70s, and are entirely au fait with US English. As a copy editor, I am in fact often briefed to remove Americanisms from native British writers' work.
Still easier than removing Geordisms...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Still easier than removing Geordisms...
Why aye pet!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
^Guess that's true:

haha!!! i was thinking about that pic too!!! isn't that weird? lol
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was reading this transcript about Dennis and Christine and how they first came together, from a radio interview about the Beach Boys:

These were dark days for Dennis. His second marriage to Karen had failed, the Bamboo sessions were faltering, and worst of all, Brother Studio, his recording base, was in financial trouble. The Beach Boys, who owned the studio, put it up for sale.

We were trying to sell it to Fleetwood Mac at this point. There was a lot of interest from Lindsey Buckingham, a big Beach Boy fan. So Lindsey would come by with Mick Fleetwood and look at the studio with John mcvie, and they were very interested in taking it over. So we started to all become sort of friends, and Dennis initially was trying to hit on Stevie Nicks. And in the process, Stevie didn't show much interest in Dennis, but christine mcvie became quite enamoured with him.

I think he was just in awe of her musical talent and it was something that bonded between them that first night that materialised within 24 hours. And they were great for each other for a time. What this ended up doing for Dennis was that it increased his access to a lot of things. I mean, the Beach Boys were big, but Fleetwood Mac at that time, coming off of Rumours, they were really, literally, the biggest band in the world. He was enamoured with the fact that Christine was selling more records than the Beach Boys ever did, and christine had unlimited funds for drugs and what-have-you. And so all that was very intoxicating to him. He became enamoured by the things around Christine as opposed to maybe christine's beauty, if that makes sense. That summer, Dennis and Christine divided their time between the Harmony and christine's house.

There was a party at Christine McVie's up in the Holmby Hills, near Beverly Hills area, lovely home, big white house on the hill, big lawn that goes down to the pool, and then there's a pool house. It was a comfortable Beverly Hills home, and there was a nice little shack at the far end of the property that was a pool house, and Dennis adopted it as his own. And the night that the disaster happened, I happened to be up in the bedroom, in christine's bedroom, and she looked out the window at one point and said, "My God, what are those flames?" Dennis had burned down the pool house. He was fooling around down there with candles to make it romantic. And christine is coming down the stairs, and that's when christine delivered her great line of, "Bit excessive, your friend, Dennis." He had the gardener plant this very large heart in the lawn with all different-coloured flowers, and of course it went on christine's gardener bill, which was fun. But that's Dennis for you. In 1979, Dennis was facing a far greater loss which couldn't be remedied with hearts and flowers, as the Beach Boys finally sold Brother Studio. Dennis was creatively homeless.

Dennis's relationship with Christine mcvie was another casualty of his lifestyle. After they split, she described him as half-little boy and half-insane. Months later, Dennis met an attractive teenage blonde. She went by the name of Shaun Love, and although Mike denied it, claimed to be Mike Love's illegitimate daughter.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Never knew they were trying to sell the studio to FMac...