The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Songbird: Original and Cover-which is better?

I found this on the web

---------
Songbird
The other night, we caught the tail end of a programme about Fleetwood Mac, which showed a clip of Christine McVie performing Songbird, her own composition. I was struck by how inferior her version was to the Eva Cassidy version that most people are familiar with. I wondered: what’s it like to compose a song that is then performed much better by someone else? Do you feel aggrieved that they've taken something that belongs to you and made it their own? Or do you feel thrilled that they’ve been able to do something with your composition that you couldn't?

It's not that there’s anything wrong with Christine McVie’s version, incidentally. It’s just that Eva Cassidy would have made The Wheels on the Bus sound sublime.

Anyway, judge for yourself:

Christine McVie: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3kHg3w...eature=related
and
Eva Cassidy: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AFFo1pu4q7Q

http://kimthomas.livejournal.com/7285.html
Old 01-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Songbird by Christine is a song of hers that I never really cared for. Whenever I listen to the Rumours album I always skip over it. When I found this web article of this person listening to Songbird, I looked at it thru their perspective and listened to Eva Cassidy's version. I have never heard Eva sing before I watched this video, but I must tell you that Eva's version of Songbird blows the original one out of the water as far as I am concerned.
I am always searching for a cover that blows up the original and here my friends, I have found one.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Songbird" is my absolute favorite of Christine's songs. Eva Cassidy's version is very pretty, and definitely does the song justice, but the simple fact that it isn't Christine singing is enough to make it inferior to me. Maybe it's knowing so much about the period in which this song was written and recorded, knowing about the recording session in the music hall with the grand piano and how after awhile, this became the song to close the live shows, but I couldn't think of any version of "Songbird" being better than Christine McVie's. And pretty as Eva Cassidy's voice is, and as gentle and pleasant as the instrumental on this version is, there's also no piano! I can see why this is a well-liked cover though, if I wasn't so attached to this song or so familiar with Christine's versions of it, I'd probably be much more open-minded to this version. It really is quite lovely.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eva Cassidy sounds (or sounded) like a hundred other singers. In all that "purity" & "beauty," you'd be hard-pressed to locate anything that stamps Eva as an indivual style, one you could pick out at fifty paces. Furthermore, what's operating here is what I would call sonic redundancy: Why surround a syrupy, overtly "beautiful" singer with a syrupy, overtly "beautiful" arrangement & production? It's too conventional. It turned Christine's "little prayer" into a mawkish spectacle.

Christine, on the other hand (or foot), sings & phrases so individually as to be recognizable even in two-second snippets from unnamed sources. Chris developed one of the most singular, individual vocal styles of that era. It's like a Billie Holiday situation. Nobody sounds like Christine. Nobody sings just the way she does.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

for me Christine's version is the best.

It reminds me of FM concerts, Christine alone on the stage - just perfect (pun intended)

At the moment I really like the instrumental only version.

But NO other version can come close to the original.

Gail
Old 01-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

You know why so many people prefer Eva Cassidy's version more? Because she's a martyr. Yes - much like test pilots, the best career move a singer or musician can ever make is to die.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I found this on the web

---------
Songbird
The other night, we caught the tail end of a programme about Fleetwood Mac, which showed a clip of Christine McVie performing Songbird, her own composition. I was struck by how inferior her version was to the Eva Cassidy version that most people are familiar with. I wondered: what’s it like to compose a song that is then performed much better by someone else? Do you feel aggrieved that they've taken something that belongs to you and made it their own? Or do you feel thrilled that they’ve been able to do something with your composition that you couldn't?

It's not that there’s anything wrong with Christine McVie’s version, incidentally. It’s just that Eva Cassidy would have made The Wheels on the Bus sound sublime.

Anyway, judge for yourself:

Christine McVie: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3kHg3w...eature=related
and
Eva Cassidy: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AFFo1pu4q7Q

http://kimthomas.livejournal.com/7285.html
I am guessing here that you assume everyone including Christine prefers Eva's version of the tune. I don't really think Christine got into the business of composing music to out do or be outdone by some other artist(s). I'm gonna guess she would be honored that someone loved the tune so much that they spent the time and money to record it.

Eva must have really loved this composition and it must have really meant a lot to her to cover it. To me, it's about the tribute and respect one artist has shown another. Not really about my BMW is better than your BMW!!! Eva can't do what Christine does and Christine can't do what Eva does... and thank God for that... cos it's hardly the point.

I respect both artists.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Eva's version, but I LOVE Christine's orginal version of Songbird. I generally don't care for covers of Christine McVie songs, but Eva's "Songbird" is an exception. As David said, no one sounds like Christine. She's totally unique. For what it's worth, a few years back Mick mentioned in an online chat that Chris liked Eva's "Songbird".
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
I like Eva's version, but I LOVE Christine's orginal version of Songbird. I generally don't care for covers of Christine McVie songs, but Eva's "Songbird" is an exception. As David said, no one sounds like Christine. She's totally unique. For what it's worth, a few years back Mick mentioned in an online chat that Chris liked Eva's "Songbird".
Did you ever read this Mary Anne?

http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/artic...rt_arc008.html

But I agree with David, nothing matches Christine's version IMO, and I've never really understood the Eva Cassidy thing. I did however really enjoy Willie Nelson's take on the song, I thought at the very least he gave a different spin on it.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember reading an interesting interview with Carole King and she described the first time she heard Aretha Franklin's version of her song - You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman. She said there was just no point singing it after that because Aretha's version was so much better and I think it took a while for Carole to start singing it again.

Not the case with Songbird. Christine's in the definitive version - a classic song.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, if you are going to set the two songs up for comparison, use either two studio versions or two live versions. The links show Christine singing it live in 1984 with her solo band; and the other is a video homage to Eva Cassidy's great studio version.

IMO, both studio versions are equally great for different reasons. And Christine's 1984 performance of the tune is not one of her best. However, no matter how dazzling EC's remake is, I always feel a genuine emotional response when I hear Christine's studio version sung with honest humility. It's truly moving.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Thanks, Sharon! I hadn't read that article before. I've always wondered why Mick didn't use Eva's version on that tribute CD. The version he did use on that album is horrible, in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this thread a joke? Which of these two versions is BETTER? A more realistic question would be: Which of these two recordings is one of the world's greatest songs, and which one is so overproduced and sterile it is actually unlistenable?

In my opinion, Eva Cassidy's version is overproduced, sappy, schmaltzy and polished so much that it is all shine, no substance. Her version is sterile. There's nothing sincere about it. I really hate it. Her version is lightyears away from the beautiful simplicity and sincerity of the Christine voice/piano recording. I'm actually quite disappointed that Chris herself likes it, though do we have any actual evidence that she does, more than a casual remark from Mick?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Eva Cassidy sounds (or sounded) like a hundred other singers. In all that "purity" & "beauty," you'd be hard-pressed to locate anything that stamps Eva as an indivual style, one you could pick out at fifty paces. Furthermore, what's operating here is what I would call sonic redundancy: Why surround a syrupy, overtly "beautiful" singer with a syrupy, overtly "beautiful" arrangement & production? It's too conventional. It turned Christine's "little prayer" into a mawkish spectacle.

Christine, on the other hand (or foot), sings & phrases so individually as to be recognizable even in two-second snippets from unnamed sources. Chris developed one of the most singular, individual vocal styles of that era. It's like a Billie Holiday situation. Nobody sounds like Christine. Nobody sings just the way she does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
You know why so many people prefer Eva Cassidy's version more? Because she's a martyr. Yes - much like test pilots, the best career move a singer or musician can ever make is to die.

All true. Songbird is not a song I love, but Christine's version is not going to be bettered by anyone else who just picks it up and sings the words. Eva Cassidy is / was "OK". Really nothing special. Anyone who thinks her bland, syrupy version of this song beats the spot-on, heartfelt Rumours version needs their ears washed out.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
Anyone who thinks her bland, syrupy version of this song beats the spot-on, heartfelt Rumours version needs their ears washed out.
I post this only with a sense of humor