Old 03-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Merf
Ignore function.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought it was great. Thank goodness I taped the commercial-free one, I'd be upset if I missed the things you guys said were cut for the later show.
I was really surprised to see the footage from the photo shoot, I loved it! They all looked wonderful, and Stevie is breathtaking (editing/makeup/work done or not!)
I wish they showed more of them working on LB's tunes, but I guess it makes sense since they were pretty much done except for Stevie's harmonies.

BTW, Sara Bella Donna was also in the credits, lol!

Could anyone make out what else was posted in the setlist? I tried to pause, but it was too blurry & writing too small. I did see Destiny (Rules), EFO, Illume, Monday Morning, but that's about it as far as differences go.

It seemed to me during the rehearsal that Stevie didn't like the way "...she's done it a thousand times" & "when love starts out in the darkness..." flowed together live - she would either have to sing "times" & "when" really close together, or not sing "times" since those lyrics practically overlap on the CD.

I was hoping for some footage of the LA rehearsal, too, but oh well! Oh, and I think that was a live pic of her & Waddy.

Paula
Old 03-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Yep...

Quote:
Originally posted by skcin
Oh, and I think that was a live pic of her & Waddy.
I agree.

Also, about EFO, yeah, it's difficult to sing that overlapping part. LOL It sounded wierd to me. I don't see her singing it on the next leg.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Ignore function.
Oh, Chris, if it were only that easy!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From what I have seen so far (thanks for the first clips from burnish and CO) the clip where the WB people come to the studio is the most interesting. I`d like to see more from that day and watch their reaction and I'd like to see their reaction to Red rover or Silver girl (regarded as two poles here .
The bearded guy with the long hair- Jeff Ayeroff- nodding to "Thrown down" and trying to lighten up the tension the meeting obviously had. LB laying back while Peacekeeper is playing- you can tell he was feeling uncomfortable that day.
Unfortunately due to audio problems I cannot understand everything during that clip. What was the reason this certain "Tom" LB speaks about wasn't involved? What were they answering? I heard about the staff change at Warners but did we get any further info here? And right after they listened to SYW the song and they made fun about the commercial god thing somebody says "How do you figure out etc"
I don't get the question and the answer, which comes after a short break but it is obviously about how they feel about the album/the songs. Can anyone tell me more about that?

Last edited by stefan; 03-16-2004 at 05:50 PM..
Old 03-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by blinker12
The documentary solidified my belief that the album is WAY overproduced. I liked each of Stevie's "Phoenix Four" songs in DEMO form (as heard in the doc) better than I do on the album. Both the "Silver Girl" and "Destiny Rules" demos sounded scrappier and more vital than the finished versions. I think Lindsey, as a producer, has become too overwrought in his approach _ increasingly so since the mid-1980s.
Agreed. I was really surprised to hear such vigorous tunes in demo form. Stevie & her musician friends like Al Ortiz did a great job on those songs. I continually thought, "What the hell happened?" It's very unusual for me to think of Fleetwood Mac pussing up her beautiful songs.

Quote:
I LOVED the exchange between Stevie and Lindsey about the "Thrown Down" lyrics. How many people these days would have the nerve to challenge Stevie on something like that? For the record, I think he was right... Stevie came across looking plain stubborn here. She didn't offer any argument apart from variations on "That's just the way I want it."
I've never heard any poet -- I would say from the 10th century A.D. to the present -- publicly proclaim himself (or herself) a poet as much as Stevie has. Someone really ought to tell her that it comes across as a bit smug, really. There's no reason for a genuine poet to throw that word around quite so frequently; the greatest poets wouldn't stoop to the level of pointing out the obvious, while the would-be poets (poetasters) trumpet their imaginary achievements to the point of seeming barmy to the rest of us.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: my thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by sparky
On another note, what does that assistant of hers DO ? Other than sit around in a chair reading a book ? She's like Jai on Queer Eye. Seemingly without purpose!
Isn't that annoying? And if Karen (or whoever before that) annoys us, you can imagine the effect on the other members of Fleetwood Mac, who have to put up with Stevie Nicks appearing in duplicate (or even triplicate) every time they summon her.

Leave the friends & assistants at home, Stevie. When it's your solo project & you're the boss, they can hover about you as much as you like. But John McVie doesn't want -- or need -- to look up & see Karen every time he asks you a question.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
I've never heard any poet -- I would say from the 10th century A.D. to the present -- publicly proclaim himself (or herself) a poet as much as Stevie has. Someone really ought to tell her that it comes across as a bit smug, really. There's no reason for a genuine poet to throw that word around quite so frequently; the greatest poets wouldn't stoop to the level of pointing out the obvious, while the would-be poets (poetasters) trumpet their imaginary achievements to the point of seeming barmy to the rest of us.
I've often thought that Stevie's "I'm a poet" comments, were sort of a knee-jerk reaction to all of the criticism she's received over the years for not being a musician, and for being "flaky" in her writing style.

It does come off a bit smug, but I think it's really just a defense mechanism... and I can't say I blame her.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agreed!

I also couldn't get over when Nicks called Fleetwood Mac -- her band.

I would have liked to have seen more of Buckingham's SAY YOU WILL tunes performed on this doc.....
Old 03-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
The bearded guy with the long hair- Jeff Ayeroff- nodding to "Thrown down" and trying to lighten up the tension the meeting obviously had. LB laying back while Peacekeeper is playing- you can tell he was feeling uncomfortable that day.
I think it was an uncomfortable session, too. Back when the band was one of the top commercial forces, it could afford to tell record company execs who got too nosy to butt out.

But times have changed for Fleetwood Mac, obviously. Now the grisly looking stuffed shirts haul their surly carcasses out to the studio, plop themselves down in the chairs (which means John McVie probably has to stand) & nod their heads inanely, as if they actually liked what they were hearing. And the bandmates have to sit there on pins & needles (or needles & pins), knowing that the execs dislike the stuff, but hoping they don't dislike it too much, because that would make life a lot more difficult for Fleetwood Mac.

I'm sure the whole thing is a slightly degrading experience.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Her statement is correct - Fleetwood Mac is her band in that she is a member of FM

I think your assumption is that she means or implies that FM is her band in the sense that she owns it. I think this is incorrect. I base this on her statements to this effect last year around this time when she said "Mick and John could fire LB and me and start over - they are FM."

Also, most artist I have ever known, and I have known a few even some very famous ones, are very quick to let you know they are an artist Plus, I think Stevie saying she is a songwriter or poet is just like someone saying I am a mechanic. Is she not supposed to say what she does

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A couple of comments on the last few pages of posts:

Stevie Nicks is a poet, but when did she ever call herself a poet in this show?

I loved how the bearded man started singing during SYW to lighten the mood. I thought it was a fun, happy moment when everyone was singing "Say you will give me one more chance at least give me time to change..."

I think Stevie has every right to call Fleetwood Mac "my band" because it is her band. She knows she is not the owner of the band, but she is prob. the biggest asset to the band right now andf I really think she has every right. If John or Lindsey called it their band it would be fine, also.

Stevie's personal assistant is so annoying. She was in almost every clip, sitting there grooming Stevie's dog! She needs to leave ASAP! I wanted her to leave my tv screen; imagine the rest of the band, not wanting to be rude, but wanting some alone time with just the band. I heard Stevie doesn't have a license though. So she needs someone to drive her!

And what exactly did that one person mean saying Stevie has a dead-pan personality and almost doesn't have a personality at all?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 03-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow JMO

I just wanted to say....I don't see her as a poet. A Poet. Someone who writes poetry and makes a living at it. She doesn't do that. She is in a band and writes songs, with melodies.

She is a singer/songwriter.

I can see the argument that songs are basically, poetry put to music, but I just do not see her as a poet. She is poetic, as an adjective. I do realize that she writes poetry in her journals and such, but I write poetry too, but that doesn't make me a poet.

I'm just being as a$$ today.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
Stevie's personal assistant is so annoying. She was in almost every clip, sitting there grooming Stevie's dog! She needs to leave ASAP!
Well, I wanted to be Stevie's assistant.. how cool to just hang out and take care of Ms. Nicks. I didn't record the show last night, so i'm running on memory fumes, but I have to say I smiled at Stevie quite a few times.. she captured my heart..

I'm listening to "Murrow" as I type, wondering if Lindsey knew he was writing about the American press in 2004. I've been listening to "Say You Will" again and I must admit .. it's better the second time around..

:-)
Old 03-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kak125
[B] I loved the part when they were talking about Thrown Down and Stevie was saying how it was about Lindsey and him saying something to the effect of how he knows the song is about him and that you have to distance yourself from that but you can tell he was flattered by it (as he should be).

I also loved that part! I've always felt that a lot of the stuff they've written is about the other. That's one of the things that draws me to them. When he asked her who the song was about, I don't think he meant the actual person, I think the answer he was looking for was the character named, which is "he", 'cause he was trying to get her to change it to "and now he's going home", but she came out with "it's about you". I loved that!

I haven't read all the posts in regard to the documentary, but from what I have read, I haven't seen anyone make mention of the fact that they ran it commercial free. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE GIFT TO US!! Thank you to whomever is responsible for that! It was a much needed "fix" for this Lindsey fan. I came away just loving all four of them.

And yes, Lindsey was very kind to John. Who would have thought all those years ago....?! John's part on the boat was the best John part. I thought it was reminiscent of a very old Christine interview that took place on a sailboat...(her sailboat?).

So, yeh, it was great. I think I'll watch it again tonight.

Peace and love,
Sharon L.