User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

June 23, 2013 Brooklyn Vegan

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...d_mac_p_3.html

Fleetwood Mac played Jones Beach (pics, videos, setlist)

photos by Greg Cristman, words by Andrew Sacher

Fleetwood Mac (Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood) have been on the road for the past couple months for their first full tour in a few years, which already hit MSG, and returned to the NYC-area for a show at Nikon at Jones Beach Theater on Saturday (6/22). The tour is in celebration of a lot of things. They're supporting a new EP (their first new material in ten years) and the 35th anniversary reissue of Rumours. And as Lindsey mentioned on stage, they're celebrating the fact that when you go against the music industry's formula (in Fleetwood Mac's case, when they released the "difficult" double album, Tusk, as the followup to Rumours), sometimes time can treat the artistic decision well.

The Jones Beach show was my first time seeing Fleetwood Mac, so I can't comment on how it compared to seeing them in their prime, but besides all the retrospective stuff they were talking about on stage, they seemed more like a band hungry to tour again than a nostalgia act. Lindsey is a wildly impressive guitarist to watch, and not only does he still have the stage presence, but he would often put so much into a song that by the end of it, he was panting, stomping the ground, and triumphantly throwing his fist in the air. He practically screamed all of "Not That Funny," pulled off an intricate solo-acoustic rendition of the usually multi-layered "Big Love," and stole the show with his song-ending guitar solo on "Go Your Own Way." Stevie is still great on stage too and her voice is commanding as ever. She had many show-stealing moments too, leading the crowd in sing-alongs with "Dreams," "Landslide," and one of her solo cuts, "Stand Back," but if I had to say, she was most in full force during "Silver Springs," the "Go Your Own Way" b-side that ended up on the new Rumours reissue.

Not only was this my first time at Jones Beach Theater in a long time, it was also my first time this year, which means it was my first time seeing the venue since it re-opened after being severely damaged by Hurricane Sandy. (The only other two shows there this year so far were Rascal Flatts or Pitbull.) The brand new stage and boardwalk look great again, and Stevie mentioned on stage that they've got all new dressing rooms too. Mick also mentioned how happy he was to see the place back in good shape during the speech he gave at the end of the show. The next Jones Beach show is Rush tonight (6/23).

More pictures, videos, and the setlist from Fleetwood Mac's show below...
Old 06-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Dee, you may have all the merchandise you want by now, but if not they had some nice pictures of all the extra stuff on that Brooklyn Vegan website.

It was nice seeing the items pictured.

Michele
Old 06-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
^Dee, you may have all the merchandise you want by now, but if not they had some nice pictures of all the extra stuff on that Brooklyn Vegan website.

Michele
Thanks for the info! I didn't realize.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
Wow- they have new stuff since the show I went to in May, necklaces etc. (Unless I just didnt see it that time.) I'll have to check it out at my next show. Its all overpriced if course, but thats part of the deal with merch. The thing I try to remember when/if I buy that stuff is, will I be glad I bought this 2 yrs plus from now? Kinda helps me decide.

Glad you all had a great time!

Jamie
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
The thing I try to remember when/if I buy that stuff is, will I be glad I bought this 2 yrs plus from now? Kinda helps me decide.
This is the first tour where I wasn't interested in buying anything. The tee shirts don't last long enough to justify the 45.00 price anymore.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Daily Me, The Cut , June 25, 2013

[Click to see fans in the slideshow. It let's you vote "hit" or "miss"]
http://dailyme.com/story/20130624000...od-mac-concert

Copping Stevie’s Style at the Fleetwood Mac Concert
By Katie Van Syckle and Amy Lombard

“Our angel, our poet,” Mick Fleetwood said Saturday night at Jones Beach when introducing Stevie Nicks during a stop on the band’s current tour. The crowd mirrored that devotion for rock’s fairy godmother in their enthusiastic screaming fandom and in their style: They wore flowers in their hair, crescents around their necks, and whatever would allow them to spin and sway with ease. (Nicks herself was dressed similarly, as usual, and even dedicated “Landslide” to New York’s Jada Yuan.) The Cut sent photographer Amy Lombard and reporter Katie Van Syckle to Jones Beach to meet the adoring fans who came in their flowy dresses, bell sleeves, fringed jackets, white lace, and shawls, of course. Click ahead and enjoy.

Diane Moody

What were you thinking when you got dressed tonight? I wasn’t. This is how I dress. Have you been a Fleetwood Mac fan for a while? Oh yeah. Have you ever taken any style ideas from Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac? No, but I’ve been told it’s there. I try to just do my own thing. I think it’s a little bit of everything.

Teddi Cranford

Where did you get your dress? About six years ago. I have a friend that works at Bally, and I’ve always been obsessed with Stevie Nicks and her style and the dress came out to his store and I bought it underground at his sample sale. The only other time I’ve worn it was four years ago to that Night of a Thousand Stevies. What aspects of her style have you adopted? I like that whole really flowy, long, witchy thing.

Vidya Sykes

What were you thinking about when you got dressed tonight? I was just thinking about how their music makes me feel and about dancing. And how did you pick out your outfit? I wanted something that would be colorful and would move well when I was twirling around.

Tom Johnson

What do you have here? The shaggin’ wagon. Is this your weekend outfit? Yeah, I wear a suit Monday – Friday. I’m just a hippie with a good job. How long have you been only wearing tie-dye? I have been wearing tie-dye for 40 years, on the weekends.

Ambika Fairfield

Carolyn Bielfeldt

What were you thinking when you got dressed? I was thinking Stevie Nicks classics, white lace, denim, sixties. Why do you think she inspires such love and loyalty? She’s a strong, obviously smart woman, who owned it from the very beginning. It’s important for women in the music world and beyond.

Diane Seeley

How did you start making the hats? Every time she comes around I make a wreath for that particular tour. And I’ve been following her since Buckingham Nicks, before she was even with Fleetwood Mac. Have you stolen any style habits from Stevie over the years? Oh yeah, love the chiffon. The beads and the chains and all that stuff she does. What does the note say? You know what I don’t really remember because I wrote it after the last concert. I think I just pretty much said I’ve been a fan of yours forever and I named my daughter after you.

Diane Orofino

What were you thinking about when you got dressed for the show tonight? This was what we wore back in the day. You’ve got your beads, rings, jewelry ... This is what I do. I don’t really think about it, I just kind of throw stuff together. When I go to rock concerts I wear black. We went to a hippie concert a couple of years ago and I was all hippied out.

Kathy Kovar

How did you decide what you were going to wear tonight? Well I have my Stevie jewelry and something flowy. Something breezy. Have you been to a show before? I think this is my 54th show. But that’s counting Fleetwood Mac and Stevie tours, the furthest was Vegas.

Rene Williams

Is this your first Fleetwood Mac show? Oh no. I’ve been following Fleetwood Mac since I was 15. How would you describe your style? I would say bohemian contemporary.

Bonnie Farello

You were saying that you have a Stevie Nicks versus Fleetwood Mac thing going on here? Yeah, I just think my flowy black top, my gypsy look and my pants are a little more retro. A little more boho chic. How did you pick out your outfit? Comfortable, danceable.

Lauri Vanucci

How did you pick out your outfit tonight? I always try to reflect what the band is. Like when Pat Benetar was here I had black spandex pants on and a red, black, shiny thing that she would have worn. This is kind of Stevie, the fringe and the long sleeves and the black. Have you taken any style from Stevie over the years? Yeah, I like her look. Actually when I was younger, I kind of looked like her.

Christopher Panayi

Did you pick up the RV for the show? No, no we are going on a road trip around the country. This was our first stop. We went to the Rolling Stones show in Boston at TD Garden.

Janeen Sassano

What brings you out today? I was at the beach and I really wanted to see Fleetwood Mac. So I drove from Tobay Beach here. How long have you been a Fleetwood Mac fan? Well my parents always listened to Fleetwood Mac. I’m 32 years old so, it’s in my blood, I guess.

Barbara Rich

When did you get this shirt? 2009 at the Unleashed tour at Madison Square Garden. How long a have you been a fan? Well forever, but I didn’t start going to concerts until this tour, because I just wasn’t a concert-goer.

Diane McGuirk

How did you pick out your outfit today? These were clean. I wear tie-dyes a lot on the weekend. I really don’t take time to look at my outfit at all. It takes me 30 seconds to do my hair, another 30 seconds to do my makeup, I get dressed in another 30 more and I go.

Ross Maniaci

How did you pick out your outfit? This is what I always wear. Didn’t take the motorcycle so just wear the same thing all the time.

Paul Hess
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Funnily, I didn't really think any of those people looked all that Stevie-ish in terms of dress. I've definitely seen better (or worse, depending on how you look at it all ).
Old 06-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Gold Dust Woman - look towards the middle of the vid Stevie crossing over to Lindsey's side -

What. I can't believe you didn't yell Stevie get the hell out of my shot

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
What. I can't believe you didn't yell Stevie get the hell out of my shot
Elle, I would have liked to be in your head then. I bet you were saying, "What is she doing over here?"

Michele
Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Funnily, I didn't really think any of those people looked all that Stevie-ish in terms of dress. I've definitely seen better (or worse, depending on how you look at it all ).
I know. They didn't look for Stevie dressers, so much as they just walked up to random people. It was kind of funny when they would ask some guy in an old black shirt and jeans why he chose his outfit.

Michele
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In that video of the final bows, Lindsey does a really adorable face at like 0:22. He looks like a child.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

coming out for 2nd encore -

man, i took way to many vids. at the beginning Lindsey was obviously amused by that... towards the end he was probably thinking "not again! can't even do one move without being filmed?!"

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

intro to Say Goodbye -

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

final bow -

Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
coming out for 2nd encore -

man, i took way to many vids. at the beginning Lindsey was obviously amused by that... towards the end he was probably thinking "not again! can't even do one move without being filmed?!"
I absolutely LOVE this video!!! Thanks for posting....