Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2002, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up The Upside

Being that there's been quite a bit of perceived "putting down" of Stevie in a couple of threads (granted, I'm one, I admit), let me start a thread dealing with the "up side" of Stevie and her contibutions to Fleetwood Mac. And, please, no choir preaching.

Umm...uh.... hmmm....can't think of anything...

(seriously, now)

That she studied the HISTORY of the band before making a decision on whether she & Lindsey should join was just incredible! I think no matter how much I've grown to dislike her in the meantime, that will always be an endearing factor to me; that she RESEARCHED the roots of the band and how she (& Lindsey) could contribute to the band...to still be themselves AND to continue the "thread" that the band had going through it's ever changing personnel over the years.

That what she & Lindsey DID contribute initially, for as much of a change as it seemed at the time, STILL carried on the "sound" of the band...in retrospect, the "white album" seems like a logical follow-up to "Heroes Are Hard To Find", whereas in 1975, it seemed like a big left-turn. The band's new "sound" really wasn't any more "commercial" than that of previous incarnations, just that THIS lineup got the break, the previous one's didn't...space & time; and being in the right place at the right time.

However, what changed for the band was their live show...that first time seeing the "new" lineup in 1975 was amazing...the energy that Stevie brought to the live show was hypnotic.

Her strongest songs (IMHO):
Landslide
Rhiannon
Dreams
Gold Dust Woman
Sisters Of The Moon
Storms
Angel

After "Tusk" (and the subsequent tour) the vibe of the band changed so dramatically that even though it still was the "fireflies" it seemed like a different set of people. A different, less pleasing, dynamic came to the forefront. Instead of five people acting as a single entity, it seemed to be five individuals doing their best (and not always succeeding) to work together. The vibe seemed to be gone. But, for that initial 5+ year run, it was just MAGIC!
Old 08-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Thank You

To me Stevie's contributions to Fleetwood Mac is first and foremost her voice. Not only was it unique on its own but it blended in so magically with Lindsey's and Christine's...the three part harmony was beautiful.

No one writes a song quite like Stevie. Once again a style all her own. The ambiguousness that leads to the perfect connection. There's something that one can get from her songs and relate it smack dab to what's happening in your life..... her connection through her writing touching millions of Fleetwood Mac fans.

Her stage presence...as Steve said was, and imo is still hypnotic. Even if you didn't like the music, how could you not look at Stevie up on stage...front and center. The image of Fleetwood Mac....the woman all the women wanted to be like and the woman all the men wanted to be with...or vice versa if you know what I mean.

It was endearing to know that Stevie took the time to go back through all the Mac catalogue and see if she and Lindsey would fit into FM and if they could get something back. But above and beyond that was her loyalty and committment to FM, and I think for the most part above her solo career.

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 08-12-2002 at 04:58 PM..
Old 08-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with the both of you on all of your points. I couldn't have said it better!

Michelle

~long live the queen... under the skin~
Old 08-12-2002, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: The Upside

Gosh, you mean there's an upside?????
Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Umm...uh.... hmmm....can't think of anything...
Mmmmm-k, we could have done without that.......

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down
Old 08-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it was a joke. he even put a after it. Anyways to add to all the other things added, it's that right now Stevie is the ONLY one throwing us bones about the new album. Lindsey may be the sound of fleetwood mac and i adore his musical genuius, but as far as we fans are concearned he Doesn't exist. He hasn't said a single thing at all. Neither has john, but he has a right to not say anything. The only way we know lindsey is even on the Record is from Stevie saying that he was working on her songs. Stevie has told us Everything about the new album. Lindsey hasn't breathed. Thank you stevie.

He Will Burn You Down

Last edited by Hawkeye; 08-12-2002 at 06:53 PM..
Old 08-12-2002, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
Neither has john, but he has a right to not say anything.
Why? I've kind of been waiting for this topic to come up because I'm curious why Lindsey or Chris in the past have always gotten the flack for low profiles (even though they're hard workers) and John gets ignored and no expectations are ever placed on him in terms of publicity. He is, afterall, the Mac of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Good question, Les!

I've wondered about this too. I *think* it must have to do with the fact that John isn't one of the band's songwriters. Christine, Lindsey & Stevie are sort of expected to pull double-duty as liasons between the band and the fans, because they're more "out front."
And Mick... well, it seems to also be expected of him, because he's always been the band's unofficial leader.

Chris, Stevie, Lindsey & Mick are seemingly held up to a higher level of expectation by the fans, than John is.
Fairly or unfairly.

Johnny Stew
Old 08-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i meant that john's just not the interveiw type. Ever since the band was born he hasn't been into that i think. So he really shouldn't have to be expected to say anything. I mean it's not like John's going to be the one to tell us the release date of the album or something. That's something the other 3 need to do. Stevie's done the most. Mick did it for his BIRTHDAY. Lindsey is silent.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-12-2002, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawkeye
i meant that john's just not the interveiw type.

Christine and Lindsey are both quiet and very private, but do a lot of press once the album is officially scheduled for release. That's often been their pattern in the past. If John is following his usual pattern, so is Lindsey.

I mean it's not like John's going to be the one to tell us the release date of the album or something. That's something the other 3 need to do.

Why not? He's in the band. He's got to know as well as the others do when it's going to be out and when he needs to be ready to rehearse for the tour.

Stevie's done the most. Mick did it for his BIRTHDAY. Lindsey is silent.

I guess one might wonder why Lindsey or John need to say the same thing that Stevie and Mick have already said. It's something Mick and Stevie love to do, so it seems like that's taken care of. They've both indicated that Lindsey's working hard, so perhaps it's best he continue on that path and do what he does best. As has been brought up quite a bit lately - they are a band and they each provide strengths for the others' weaknesses.

He does exist - Stevie and Mick said so!
Old 08-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Back to the topic at hand...I think the best thing Stevie brought to Fleetwood Mac is, plain and simply, her voice. I just think it's a unique and startlingly emotive voice. She's got a real talent for vocal phrasings.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Along with her brilliant songwriting, I agree that Stevie's voice is a powerful instrument itself. It's like, you hear the first word that she sings, and you know it's her. And then you are in a, like, trance until the song is over(at least that's MY reaction). Her voice is so amazing in how it shows her emotion. You almost don't even need to listen to the lyrics to hear what she's feeling, the voice says it all.

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 08-13-2002, 10:34 AM

The biggest credit I can give to Stevie Nicks is that she was probably the main reason Fleetwood Mac became such a huge band in the 70s. Let's say Lindsey had joined without her, I think the band would have still been a hit, the music would have still been magical, but the droves of fans that flocked to the band probably would not have done so without the Stevie mystique.

That may sound strange coming from me, considering I have knocked her for the image thing. But when I was a teenager and Stevie started appearing in videos, Gypsy in particular, her appeal was undeniable. She was a beautiful woman with a singular voice. You cannot take away the contribution she made to the band in those early days. So I agree with ChiliD's assessment about the first five years or so.

After Mirage, she started to decline. And I liked The Wild Heart well enough. There were some good songs, but the beginning of the decline was already noticeable. With Rock a Little, I started to lose interest. I did not like her contributions to Tango. Fast-forward to The Dance: she sounds positively great in Silver Springs. The other songs, especially Dreams, don't do it for me. I prefer the original versions. I don't find her current songwriting particularly great and I no longer like her voice.

Finally, I would make the point that Stevie has had a tremendous influence on other artists. Like her or hate her, she has left an indelible mark on pop culture. And above all, she is a survivor. I am glad that she has enjoyed some success in recent years, and those fans who still find her as appealing as I once did are entitled to enjoy her and her music.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the upside

Stevie's gift is her ability to write lyrics that really speak to people. I remember when, back in the eighties, my mother was terminally ill with cancer, I had a druggie student I was trying to do something about and I was working two jobs to try to support us, I often was so wired by the time I finally got to bed I couldn't sleep. Many's the night that "Storms" and "Beautiful Child" finally calmed me down enough to sleep. I felt like she had suffered like I was suffering at that time. It's unique ability to be able to relate to people like that-not everyone has that. Lindsey for all his musical genius has a hard time with it, much as I love him=:-)

Stevie also has the ability to reach out to people when in performance. She's got that audience in the palm of her hand in two minutes (not literally of course)She makes friends for the band. The others, other than Mick, don't do as well with this-I think they are all-Chris, Lindsey and John, kinda shy maybe-you can tell how nervous Lindsey is in performance if you watch the videos closely=:-)

I often think both Stevie and Mick could have gone into acting with great results if they had not been in rock music=:-)

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 08-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Coolness...

As most of you already know, I am a Lindsey FANATIC, BUT...
Stevie is too. Let me list the reasons why I love that "witchy woman".

Her way with fans...she keeps it "real" because of how she is at concerts and I assume with fans personally...she's goofy sometimes, silly and down to earth.

Her songwriting....I love her songs, they are mysterious (Gold Dust Woman), fun (Sister Honey, which I used to not like, but now I love it! LOL) and silly (Goldfish and the Ladybug anyone? LOL) too. Her lyrics are wierd, cryptic, heartbreaking...and I LOVE them!!

Her voice...well...she's not the greatest singer in the world, but she's got a unique voice, NOBODY sounds like Miss Stevie, even tho they tried with "Imaginary Lover" and "Do I Bring You Down".
Old 08-14-2002, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

there are many things that make Stevie an integral part of FM, to narrow it down is very hard but I do have one thing I admire about her is that she is able to create a sense of stillness without looking stilted or uncomfortable onstage. Example, the Dance video, if you watch her during Lindsey's solo during Landslide, she is listening right along with the audience. Her ability to remain still onstage and let others have the spotlight without losing her own star appeal is unique. I have never seen it with any other performer...

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64