User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
For real! Thank God we don't have more of Mick and John - there would be NO singing!!!
Unless John stepped up and introduced a little number that appeared on the B-Side of Gypsy and then gave us Cool Water.

We were just discussing These Strange Times in another thread and although Mick didn't exactly "sing" it, we could work on that.

Then, send them to Glasgow and see if they got a better review from this guy!

Michele
Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac in Glasgow, Thursday 22nd October 09

October 24, 2009 — matildagretchen

My first thoughts when I saw them – they looked OLD, Lindsay in particular. Now, I know they ARE old, but I just mean compared to 5 years ago I could see a tiredness about them. Not that that’s a criticism at all, they still played an amazing show that would shame most of the younger bands out there. I just thought, “oh ****, they might not do this again, it might be taking too much out of them”. But as the show went on, they managed to find even more energy, and seemed to really be enjoying themselves.

Stevie was beautiful in her goth frocks (I counted 4 costume changes, all similar dresses with slight variations on the sequin/lace adornments), and I had hair envy – her mane always seemed to be freshly brushed, with not a lock out of place. I hope I have hair like that at her age – blue rinses are for losers! (sorry grannies).

Highlights of the show for me were -

Landslide – I defy anyone to hear Stevie sing this live and not fall in love with her and want to hug her and hold her hand and sniff her hair.

Second Hand News – It was raucous, full of electricity and classic Fleetwood Mac.

Tusk – It was a wee bit tamer than I’ve heard/seen it before, but I still adore it, and Mick Fleetwood always entrances me with his faces when he’s playing this song!

Go Your Own Way – This got the biggest reception from the crowd, it was magical to hear the whole room singing it.

Stand Back – What can I say? It’s just heavenly, it’s so quintessentially Stevie, and I had goosebumps watching her sing her heart out.

Stevie and Lindsay seemed to have a good rapport, facing each other lots to sing. I’m not a Lindsay fan (Team Stevie!), but he deserves enormous credit for the effort he puts into playing. Big Love was fantastic as usual, and he soaked up the adulation in a very charming way (egotistical git that he is)! John stared at his guitar the whole time, and didn’t say a word to the audience, but I loved him for it – John’s John, he just wants to go on stage, get the bloody thing over and done with then bugger off fishing, and he’s quite right! He’s earned the right to do so, putting up with all the drama for so many years! Mick looked like he was having a ball the entire time, and those faces! They crack me up every time.

Stevie dedicated Landslide to a bird handler called Jamie, whom she had met earlier that day. She told us about her stay in Turnberry near Troon, and how meeting Jamie and his marvellous birds had been a real highlight of all her travels. That was lovely. Stevie didn’t hit the high notes in her songs, but as I said with John and his ’let’s just get on with it’ bass playing – quite right! Why the hell should she? She’s sung the songs for years, they still sound absolutely wonderful coming from her, if she doesn’t want to why the hell should she? Just to appease the critics? Most people her age are hanging about coffee mornings and mooching round supermarkets for bargains. If she wants to sing her songs in sold out stadiums a wee bit differently to how she has in the past, just ****ing enjoy it and stop moaning!

I’ve just realised how ageist I sound in this post. I’d just like it to be known that I love the oldies, I just like my oldies to be more like Stevie “I’m so rock’n'roll I lost my septum decades ago” Nicks and less like Cliff “colostomy bag-tastic” Richard.

http://matildagretchen.wordpress.com...nd-october-09/

One Response to “Fleetwood Mac in Glasgow, Thursday 22nd October 09”
Vivienne Stefani Says:
October 24, 2009 at 3:15 pm
Ah the hair-sniffing we all dream about…! Love your review. I, too, want to belt the people who complain about Stevie’s range dropping. Eff that, already! No one sounds like they did 30 years ago 30 years later. Some critics hold her to a ridiculous standard.

I saw them in Los Angeles and enjoyed myself silly. My only criticism of the concert is the rehearsed comments they say at every show verbatim. I wish they’d just talk to us spontaneously, like it’s real life instead of a manufactured production. But that detail aside, the music and their effort was fantastic. Glad to hear the performance excellence continues overseas.

Cheers, Vivienne your Twitter friend
Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac, SECC, Glasgow
(Rated 4/ 5 )
Reviewed by David Pollock
Monday, 26 October 2009

To those familiar with their patchwork history, the fact that this current incarnation of Fleetwood Mac
has remained stable for a little over a decade is something approaching a miracle.

Guitarist, sometime singer and key songwriter, Lindsey Buckingham, alludes to previous traumas with mention of recording their classic album, Rumours, during which period he and Stevie Nicks were breaking up their relationship: "there were a lot of emotional opposites between us". Yes, there was "aggression" to be worked out during "Second Hand News", but rarely has such spite sounded as joyful as it did here.

Whatever bridges may have been burned during this era and Buckingham's departure from the band following 1987's Tango in the Night have obviously been long since rebuilt. At the end of "Sara", Nicks – a hippyish figure in a changing array of sequinned shawls and dresses, her eyes dreamy and her hair a fresh bottle-blonde – takes Buckingham in a tender embrace of friendship. To applause and camera flashes from the audience, words are whispered between the pair, and it's another moment for the photo album when they emerge holding hands for the encore an hour later.

These two have clearly settled into a lifelong friendship, but many might have noticed the opposite attraction of their musical relationship. While the pair's voices manage a beautifully rootsy combination on duets like "Don't Stop" and particularly a stripped-back acoustic pairing for "Never Going Back Again", their individual contributions are markedly different.

Nicks, spinning gently on the spot, is a folky bohemian, a rustic chanteuse during familiar tracks like "Gypsy", "Rhiannon" and an acoustic "Landslide". While the musical styles of the Janis Joplin-esque "Gold Dust Woman" and "Stand Back"'s alarmingly contemporary electronic keyboard riff are markedly different, Nicks's persona doesn't shift.

Buckingham, on the other hand, is a study in almost manic intensity, particularly when Nicks has walked off to effect another costume change and he's left alone to indulge himself with the stalwart rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. Perhaps over-fond of the extended instrumental, he plays with a serious stare and punctuates each song with whoops and stamps of the feet. It's a little overwrought, but Buckingham conjures a young man's vitality during "Tusk", "Go Your Own Way", "Oh Well" and a truly spine-tingling acoustic take on "Big Love".

For a band who deal in definitively enduring pop classics, there was the odd clunking moment – a dull "Go Insane", Fleetwood's literally barking drum solo during "World Turning". Yet the magic far outweighed these brief lulls, and the drummer's assertion at the end that "we'll see you next time" was a promise we'd like to hold him to.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...w-1809347.html
Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
My first thoughts when I saw them – they looked OLD, Lindsay in particular.
This is a little comforting to me. I think Stevie gets the most aging related crap and its good to hear that she wasn't as obvious as Lindsey for this reviewer.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
This is a little comforting to me. I think Stevie gets the most aging related crap and its good to hear that she wasn't as obvious as Lindsey for this reviewer.
Ha! I'm glad you said that Dani - I thought I was the only one who harbored secret pro-aging wishes for Mr. B...

Don't get me wrong though - he's still totally handsome...
Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For a band who deal in definitively enduring pop classics, there was the odd clunking moment – a dull "Go Insane",

Hard for me to imagine Go Insane being boring, especially this band version.

Michele
Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac
Source: List.co.uk
Date: 28 October 2009
Written by: Amber Baxter

SECC, Glasgow, Thu 22 Oct 2009
Most bands go through their fair share of drama. Some have inter-band relationships of a non-platonic nature, a few manage to forge successful careers at the top of the charts, even fewer manage to amass a back catalogue that spans decades.

Fleetwood Mac have done all this and more. Their personal history is as compelling as it comes, and alongside this they have scored hit after hit. They’re a songwriting arms factory that has produced lethal pop weapons such as 'Gypsy', 'Second Hand News' and 'Gold Dust Woman' - and they’re back.

It’s in the pursuit of showcasing these classic songs that four-fifths of the most commercially successful combination of Fleetwood Mac take to the stage at the SECC.

Without Christine McVie, vocal duties are left to Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham meaning McVie’s musical contributions are omitted, so no 'Little Lies', no 'Songbird' and no 'Everywhere', this doesn’t put a damper on the evening though, as there’s still plenty to keep everyone happy.

Early renditions of 'Monday Morning' and 'The Chain' from their second and most tempestuously recorded album Rumours, along with Buckingham’s words on the making of the album itself, warms up the sold out arena crowd nicely. ‘We were going through such emotional turmoil,’ Buckingham recounts. Thankfully, going by tonight’s onstage comradeship, with Buckingham and Nicks holding hands and singing to each other, all this seems to be in the past.

Highlights include Buckingham’s solo acoustic rendition of 'Big Love' which showcases his technical ability as a guitarist, Nicks' faultless performance of 'Landslide' and pre-encore set finisher 'Go Your Own Way', which easily commands the biggest applause of the night.

After thanking the rest of the band, Mick Fleetwood delivers one of the most confusing drum solos ever in encore opener 'Worlds Turning' by shouting in a Scottish accent and (what sounds like) rapping in a Jamaican accent.

Closing the set with a few too many words, Fleetwood thanks the crowd, which is a sweet, if slightly drawn out touch.

He can be forgiven though - if I’d been feeding and nurturing the cash cow that is Fleetwood Mac so successfully for forty years, I’d be looking to milk it too.

http://www.list.co.uk/article/21780-fleetwood-mac/
Old 10-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[B]After thanking the rest of the band, Mick Fleetwood delivers one of the most confusing drum solos ever in encore opener 'Worlds Turning' by shouting in a Scottish accent and (what sounds like) rapping in a Jamaican accent.
I'd be interested in hearing Mick's Scottish accent. Yes, that is some kind of calypso thing he's got going on in his rap. Goodness.

Michele
Old 10-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Trouble down the front!

Did anyone else witness the trouble down the front at Lyndsay's side of stage at Glasgow SECC during Gold Dust Woman? A fight broke out between what seemed to be a man and a woman. This guy believed the woman in front of him spat on his face so punched her and grapped her. It was horrible and scary! Security ejected both of them and anyone else who got involved. I can't believe this happened!!! I remember similar, but not as violent, happenings down the front at Earls court 6 years ago!!! Whats going on? This is Fleetwood Mac not the Sex Pistols!?!?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustmybroom View Post
Did anyone else witness the trouble down the front at Lyndsay's side of stage at Glasgow SECC.
Who is this woman??