Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pick four

I'm usually pretty stringent when someone says pick one, but since Rumours era Mac has three really strong songwriting voices, I'll just narrow down to one of each, plus one for early Mac!

Peter Green era-I hate to be so obvious, but I have always loved Oh Well and I just went nutso on opening night of this tour when it was on the setlist. I do think LB has gotten MUCH more into it, maybe the earlier performances were throwaways, but he rocks the hell out of it now!

Stevie Nicks-My first ever favorite was Dreams, it was on every radio station when my family drove (eternally it seemed like!) from New York to Florida. It's one of the most deeply embedded songs in my person. I loved Gypsy, it was a great song for that MTV era, because the video was awesome. Silver Springs just killed me when they did it for The Dance. I'm definitely a new convert to Sisters of the Moon. But I think I'll go with Gold Dust Woman.

Lindsey Buckingham-Lord this is tough. I love Blue Letter. Love Monday Morning. Love Second Hand News. Love What Makes You Think You're the One. Love Never Going Back Again. But Go Your Own Way is quintessential for me, so I'll pick that.

Christine McVie-Really loved Over My Head for a couple of decades. And loved Hold Me for the same reason I loved Gypsy, and Love in Store even though it had no video. Right now I'm feelin' Think About Me.

It's so impossible to pick one for each it just doesn't seem to get to the gist of it.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok. If we're going to do early Mac, then here's my (partial) list off the top of my head while at work:

I Loved Another Woman (Peter's guitar just tears me up every time I hear it!!)
Oh Well (Who doesn't love this song? Honestly!!)
Rattlesnake Shake (Again, what's not to love about this song?)
Jumping At Shadows (I know it wasn't penned by anyone in the band but I love Peter's rendition.)
Black Magic Woman
Stop Messin' Round
Shake Your Moneymaker (same as Jumping At Shadows, except with Jeremy)
Albatross (Of Course!!!)
Green Manalishi
Looking For Somebody
Sugar Mama
I Can't Believe You Wanna Leave (just like Jumping At Shadows)
Fleetwood Mac
Homework
Hypnotized
Why
The City (love that opening slide part)
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Danny's Chant
Sunny Side Of Heaven
Show Me A Smile
Dissatisfied

That's all I can remember and it's 00:40 in the morning. I think I'll stop there!!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Ok. If we're going to do early Mac, then here's my (partial) list off the top of my head while at work:

I Loved Another Woman (Peter's guitar just tears me up every time I hear it!!)
Oh Well (Who doesn't love this song? Honestly!!)
Rattlesnake Shake (Again, what's not to love about this song?)
Jumping At Shadows (I know it wasn't penned by anyone in the band but I love Peter's rendition.)
Black Magic Woman
Stop Messin' Round
Shake Your Moneymaker (same as Jumping At Shadows, except with Jeremy)
Albatross (Of Course!!!)
Green Manalishi
Looking For Somebody
Sugar Mama
I Can't Believe You Wanna Leave (just like Jumping At Shadows)
Fleetwood Mac
Homework
Hypnotized
Why
The City (love that opening slide part)
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Danny's Chant
Sunny Side Of Heaven
Show Me A Smile
Dissatisfied

That's all I can remember and it's 00:40 in the morning. I think I'll stop there!!
A chiffonhead I see!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcConville View Post
A chiffonhead I see!
Please don't think me totally stupid, but I'm not sure how my (grossly incomplete) list of pre-Rumours FM favourites makes me a chiffon head. I had been under the impression that "chiffonheads" were big-time, deep, "committed 'til death" Stevie Nicks fans. Not to say I'm not a fan of Stevie's. I certainly am, just a bigger fan of FM than of just her solo.

If I'm mistaken, by all means, please correct me. I'm more than happy to be enlightened.

Cheers!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

by Stevie

Dreams, Sara, Gypsy, Straight back, Sister of the moon, Gold dust woman, Silver springs, landslide etc, but the first two are absolute favorites

by Lindsey

I'm so afraid, Go your own way, Bleed to love her, Not that funny (live mirage tour video version)

by Chris

Isnt it midnight, Never make me cry, Only over you, wish you were here. (yes these are odd choices you may think :P )
Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Please don't think me totally stupid, but I'm not sure how my (grossly incomplete) list of pre-Rumours FM favourites makes me a chiffon head. I had been under the impression that "chiffonheads" were big-time, deep, "committed 'til death" Stevie Nicks fans. Not to say I'm not a fan of Stevie's. I certainly am, just a bigger fan of FM than of just her solo.

If I'm mistaken, by all means, please correct me. I'm more than happy to be enlightened.

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure Liam was being facetious.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

More or less all of LB's songs from the Tusk and Tango in the Night.

Dreams, Gypsy, Sara, & Silver Springs from Stevie.

SYLM, YMLF, Hold Me, Little Lies, & Everywhere from Christine.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
There's been enough negative energy circulating around here in the thread about the few songs by Fleetwood Mac that we hate. We're all here because we adore this band, so I want to hear about the songs you love.
Before the Beginning: poignant musical landscape redolent of the Midlands
Prove Your Love: one of the best hooks Chris ever wrote in a lifetime of excellent hooks
Angel: Welch's best psychedelic groove, & one of his simplest structures
Crystal: the epitome of the early '70s folk confessional, with chord progression obviously helped along by Buckingham (based as it is on fingerpicking fret work)
Go Your Own Way: more non-fans probably like this song than any other FM song from the band's post-Green catalog
Sands of Time: a monstrously catchy groove at just the right tempo, & one of the best examples of Fleetwood Mac's "expanded" rhythm section: bass, drums, & electric piano.
Dragonfly: top-notch psychedelia again, but winsome lyricism & landscape painting in place of a rhythmic pocket
Gypsy: Not even a bleating lead vocal can mar this extraordinary example of Buckingham's concern with orchestration & voice delineation; more complex even than that album's other orchestrative masterpiece.
Tusk: Best radio single of 1979, as Rolling Stone critics said -- & probably 1980, too. Wildly inventive & wholly successful aesthetic ideation, with seemingly no pinpointable antecedents.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll give fifteen since the band's recording history is so rich and varied.

Rollin' Man
Station Man
Sometimes
Dust
Honey Hush (BBC live recording)

Hypnotized
Say You Love Me
World Turning
Sugar Daddy
Oh Daddy

Tusk
Love in Store
Everybody Finds Out
Illume
Big Love (Dance)

My list changes quite a bit, but the first ten songs are always on there.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never really gotten into pre-Rumours FM. I like the early, early Peter Green stuff somewhat, altho usually if I want to hear blues, I'll listen to Bessie Smith or Muddy Waters. Then Play On and Bare Trees are both terrible to my ears (the latter especially...I can't get into Bob Welch at all). I know I'll be pelted by rotten tomatoes by many, but I'm really just a fan of Lindsey, Stevie, & Christine.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I've never really gotten into pre-Rumours FM. I like the early, early Peter Green stuff somewhat, altho usually if I want to hear blues, I'll listen to Bessie Smith or Muddy Waters. Then Play On and Bare Trees are both terrible to my ears (the latter especially...I can't get into Bob Welch at all). I know I'll be pelted by rotten tomatoes by many, but I'm really just a fan of Lindsey, Stevie, & Christine.
Don't look up, I've got a 500 gallon vat of 'em suspended above your head and it's tilting rapidly.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i love pretty much all of the songs its hard to pick just one but here is a few of my favorites

The Chain
Sisters of The Moon
Gold Dust Woman
Why
Black Magic Woman
The Green Manalishi
Go Your Own Way
Rhiannon
Landslide
Dreams
Beautiful Child
Brown Eyes
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Save Me A Place
Sara
Storms
Farmers Daughter
FireFly's
my song list is never ending love this band its awesome am so glad we have them still performing and giving us kick ass music live love Fleetwood Mac have been a die hard fan for 30 years since 1979. Since I was 9 years old still hooked up them just the same like when I was 9 years old there music in stills a fire of excitement in me today as they did back then. I love the whole line up of fleetwood mac even before stevie and lindsey i got hooked up them with stevie and lindsey just like everyone else and you realize the history behind this band is so legendary.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Def. understand the purist thing, but even though I really love the original blues peeps, I love myself some blues rock as well. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is prob. my fave album of all time and I love hearing Peter Green wail away, he's a master. The blues is such a malleable form, you can turn it into almost anything. I'd prob. even get into opera under blues circumstances.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah, Silver Springs is the lure that got me into this crazy fandom. Specifically, the live Dance version. I kept channel surfing and getting the concert at the exact moment when Stevie turns to Lindsey and rails about him "never getting away." Drama! Passion! Romance! Stalkerdom! My kind of world.

Up to that point, I knew FM's songs, of course, but they were too rich for my teenbopper heart.

Now, I love Sara, Save Me a Place (especially live), Say Goodbye, Bleed to Love Her and probably much more that I'm blanking on.

My favorite Stevie song outside of FM (even though it's listed as a FM song) is Real Tears.
Lindsey? For personal reasons You Do or You Don't. And, actually, if I'm being honest, I love Under the Skin more.

And ...that's all for now.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gold Dust Woman
I'm So Afraid
Silver Springs
That's All For Everyone
Beautiful child
Crystal
Say You Love Me
The Chain
Big Love
Little Lies
Go Your Own Way
Rhiannon
Sister Of The Moon

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/