The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Ledgie

That's such a great pic! I actually got to see her quite a bit this tour...12 shows total and a radio show as well! It was simply magical. I also love the new holiday record....it's MAGIC!

I thought Not Dying Today was really fun live in Red Bank, it made me love the song better. And I really miss hearing Strong Black Vine every night!

*I chose to dance across the stages of the world*
Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetGirl24 View Post
That's such a great pic! I actually got to see her quite a bit this tour...12 shows total and a radio show as well! It was simply magical. I also love the new holiday record....it's MAGIC!

I thought Not Dying Today was really fun live in Red Bank, it made me love the song better. And I really miss hearing Strong Black Vine every night!
12 shows! Lucky! I only managed to make one this tour, but it was amazing (even if my fellow fans appear to have forgotten how to behave at a Tori show). Icicle with the full band is just phenomenal. Can't wait to grab a copy of Midwinter Graces.

And I am jealous of your M&G photo, theWILDheart! And Cornflake Girl's photo in another thread. I've been going to see Miss T since I was about 15 and M&G's NEVER work out for me. This year, we waited in the rain in Detroit, but no joy. I hope she got my present, at least - I handed it to Mindy.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The appeal of Tori Amos seems to me a soggy sort of preciousness.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
12 shows! Lucky! I only managed to make one this tour, but it was amazing (even if my fellow fans appear to have forgotten how to behave at a Tori show). Icicle with the full band is just phenomenal. Can't wait to grab a copy of Midwinter Graces.

And I am jealous of your M&G photo, theWILDheart! And Cornflake Girl's photo in another thread. I've been going to see Miss T since I was about 15 and M&G's NEVER work out for me. This year, we waited in the rain in Detroit, but no joy. I hope she got my present, at least - I handed it to Mindy.
Ah nice, you were at the Detroit show too? That was a pretty good show! I got to hear Talula for the first time there...front row! Woo. I took my friend along too for her first Tori show Well, I think I more dragged her, but that's ok.

I've been away from the Ledge for a while (the email notification about this thread has got me posting again!) but I guess I will post one of my M&G pics....

Last edited by SweetGirl24; 03-30-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thats a crackin' pic of you and T God, you're both stunners!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I certainly think that Tori appeals more to women than men. Personally I don't get her and never have, but each to their own I guess...

Actually I'd be interested to see if the Tori fans like Martha Wainwright?

Last edited by chriskisn; 10-29-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I certainly think that Tori appeals more to women than me. Personally I don't get her and never have, but each to their own I guess...

Well, I'm a male non-Wainwright obssessed Tori fan. So I kind of break that definition a little bit lol.

SweetGirl24 - I LOVE your sig. Liquid Diamonds is one of my all time favs Which show did you see this tour? Good set?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post

SweetGirl24 - I LOVE your sig. Liquid Diamonds is one of my all time favs Which show did you see this tour? Good set?
Thanks, love! I love Liquid Diamonds as well. In Milwaukee, it was cute bc she messed it up a little bit. I love when she messes up!

Well, I saw 12 shows total...so it's hard to pick a fave. Durham, NC was AMAZING! Before the show that night a friend asked me which song I would want to hear if I had to pick just one...and I said "Glory of the 80s"...and she played it that night! (Only the second time at that point on the tour). And the rest of the set was just amazing. Red Bank, NJ was also amazing, the set was much like the NC show...plus she played my request! (Taxi Ride).

And then again...Boston was pretty epic, just because Santa came out! It was incredible! Ah, I miss tour.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw 2 shows - Manchester and Birmingham.

Manchester:

Give
Caught A Lite Sneeze
Cornflake Girl
Icicle
Pancake
Space Dog
Lust
Jamaica Inn
Welcome To England
Northern Lad

Take Me With You
Mother

Putting The Damage On
The Power Of Orange Knickers
Fast Horse
Precious Things
Srong Black Vine

Encore:
Big Wheel
Tear In Your Hand

Birmingham:

Give
Bouncing Off Clouds
Cornflake Girl
Starling
Concertina
Little Earthquakes
Carbon
Playboy Mommy
Siren
Pandora's Aquarium

Sister Janet
Cloud On My Tongue

Your Cloud
Take To The Sky
Talula
Precious Things
Strong Black Vine

Encore:
Caught A Lite Sneeze
Big Wheel

Highlights: CALS, Pancake, Icicle, Welcome To England, Northen Lad, Take Me With You, Fast Horse, Tear In Your Hand, Starling, Concertina, Carbon, Sister Janet, Take To The Sky and Talula
Old 10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I certainly think that Tori appeals more to women than men. Personally I don't get her and never have, but each to their own I guess...

I like Martha Wainwright. Far Away is one of my all-time favourite songs.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I can only speak for myself as to why Tori is appealing. Personally, I find her music very relatable (I won't bore anyone with examples), I like her obscure references to film-stars, pop culture, literature etc. I think it makes her music more individual and interesting, and there's a lot of wit in her writing which appeals to my sense of humour. I love the production on most of her music (except The Beekeeper, not that I think it's an entirely bad album, it has its charms). She also puts on an incredible live show, fantastic energy; even songs I wasn't particularly fond of on her albums, I have come to love once seeing her perform them live.

Quote:

The bulk of Tori's demographic is definately female. It might have a lot to do with the themes she writes about, I'm not entirely sure. I do like Martha Wainwright a lot.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Ah nice, you were at the Detroit show too? That was a pretty good show! I got to hear Talula for the first time there...front row! Woo. I took my friend along too for her first Tori show Well, I think I more dragged her, but that's ok.

I've been away from the Ledge for a while (the email notification about this thread has got me posting again!) but I guess I will post one of my M&G pics....

Gorgeous picture!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Oh, what a great pic! So jealous! And yep, I was there - a few rows behind you, apparently, lol. I dragged my boyfriend along (okay, I made him drive me from over here in PA), and it was his first Tori show, too. He was wary at first, not having much experience with her music and was sort of "bwuh?" at many of the videos, etc, I showed him prior to our going, but he LOVED the show. Tori live is always the best Tori, I think. Songs I never quite "get" on albums always manage to click somehow when I see her play them live.

I loved the arrangement they did for Talula - I hadn't yet heard her do that one live at a show I'd been at, and I thought the arrangement was really interesting. I think one of the best things about Miss T is that she is able to take these songs and do them over and over again, but have them be so different each time. Like the songs really are alive "girls," they get in different moods, and sometimes have something different to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflake Girl View Post
I can only speak for myself as to why Tori is appealing. Personally, I find her music very relatable (I won't bore anyone with examples), I like her obscure references to film-stars, pop culture, literature etc. I think it makes her music more individual and interesting, and there's a lot of wit in her writing which appeals to my sense of humour. I love the production on most of her music (except The Beekeeper, not that I think it's an entirely bad album, it has its charms). She also puts on an incredible live show, fantastic energy; even songs I wasn't particularly fond of on her albums, I have come to love once seeing her perform them live.
I couldn't get along with much of Beekeeper until I saw her on tour for it and heard some of the songs in person. Beekeeper & I still aren't the best of friends or anything, but I like a lot more of it now than I did before that show.

Also agreed, re: lyrics. Some of Tori's lyrics are so downright bizarre that you can't help but love them even if you have no idea what she's on about, but there are many lines that I find utterly, unspeakably profound and beautiful.

I think she has a unique knack for cramming pages of ideas into one or two lines. The ideas I'm hearing may not be the ones she had in mind when she wrote them, of course, but that's okay. I don't think she'd mind.

My next tattoo will be a Cooling tattoo.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 10-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
I couldn't get along with much of Beekeeper until I saw her on tour for it and heard some of the songs in person. Beekeeper & I still aren't the best of friends or anything, but I like a lot more of it now than I did before that show.
Ditto! Me and The Beekeeper have a sort of mutual respect for eachother now. I appreciate her, but we're not best friends like me and Choirgirl, Venus, Scarlet and Pele are.

I have made my own version of TBK:

Original Sinsuality
Parasol
Cars And Guitar's
Sweet The Sting
Barons of Suburbia
Sleeps With Butterflies
Jamaica Inn
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Garlands
Mary's Of The Sea
The Beekeeper
General Joy
Mother Revolution
Toast

Photobucket

One of the things that really annoys me is the cover art. It's dreadful. So I made my own using the pic from the tourbook (the tourbook art was STUNNING!!)

Last edited by TheWILDheart; 10-30-2009 at 08:36 AM..
Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Ditto! Me and The Beekeeper have a sort of mutual respect for eachother now. I appreciate her, but we're not best friends like me and Choirgirl, Venus, Scarlet and Pele are.

I have made my own version of TBK:

Original Sinsuality
Parasol
Cars And Guitar's
Sweet The Sting
Barons of Suburbia
Sleeps With Butterflies
Jamaica Inn
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Garlands
Mary's Of The Sea
The Beekeeper
General Joy
Mother Revolution
Toast

One of the things that really annoys me is the cover art. It's dreadful. So I made my own using the pic from the tourbook (the tourbook art was STUNNING!!)
Haha, excellent! That's actually about what I would put on my own version of the album, too, except I'd take as many live versions from the Official Bootlegs set as possible. I'd add the version of Witness from that set with the choir, too, because...yeah, it's awesome.

And agreed re: the cover art. I like yours much better. I suppose we can't always get something as stunning as the Choirgirl album artwork but still.

Also, I thought it was interesting you mentioned Venus instead of Earthquakes or Pink in your best friends list - I've noticed most people don't mention Venus as a favorite, unless they specifically mention that it's the live part (I'd be one of those folks, too, love the live disc, mostly neutral on the studio portion). Is it the studio or the live part, or both, for you?