The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > Q&A Discussions

Old 08-21-2001, 02:21 PM
Ledgie

Question

Les,
Is there a way to get a vote or gauge opinion on if the disc should be a "Best Of" or a "complete" compilation since that seems to be an important question?

We vote for Best Of, of course! LOL!
Old 08-21-2001, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Jo and Jensen...

I put a poll up a while ago called "ken's DVD" asking people if they wanted it to be a music video compliation or a mixture or strictly live performances but this was back when we were in the belief that we were limited to 10-12 songs. As the news has come down that Ken says now that they will let the collection run from 90 minutes to 2 hours (naturally, we are trying to get the set list we come with to be close to 2 hours!) So, with this length in mind, it seems to have been agreed that the "complete" band music videos will take one hour so as a compromise, the other hour is going to be the "best of live" performance stuff compilation so both sides of the coin can be happy. As the music vid list is "just about" done (Johnny Stew is checking in to "Family man" being a legit video), we are now trying to concentrate our efforts on an even list for the live performances. It is a given that Christine will have the most writers credits overall but we are hoping to well represent Stevie and Lindsey and touch on the pre BN line ups with a few things (as the post BN lineups will be as well covered as can be with some of the later music vids). With these thoughts in mind, it has become virtually impossible to include complete live footage and have a well rounded representation without chopping into footage (much to my own personal dismay but I do understand this after all) and as most fans of the strictly BN lineup wish to see footage of different "eras" (i.e. Rumours, Mirage, Dance, etc.) I came up with a list of live TV performances a while ago on this thread that many seemed to like but the problem was that some of the footage that would appear to obviously be in Warners vaults (Hall of fame stuff, etc.) is not on their vault list! So this does pose a problem given all of the above "wants" of various fans and what is available to us. It does appear clear that we will not go with segments from the Mirage video, the dance release itself, etc. as these can be purchased in their entirety elsewhere and as fans, this is the whole point we do this as we want to get some rare stuff out there that we either haven't seen before or that is so many generations old in our collections that a freshly made original would be invaluable to us and would still include great performances of the band we promise! (as the idea that we include the Clinton "Don't stop" was nixed because it was not deemed an acceptable performance regardless of it's historical importance to the band which was the main reason I wanted it included). Anyways, after all has been said and done on all of this, and given the limitations of what is available to us and what we as fans will accept. My last attempted list seems to have taken in OK but it may require a few adjustments, as least I think it's a step in the right direction and I hope it can be seen as a real choice as a setlist for the disc (if you scroll up in this thread it will be there one or two posts ago for me. Check it out against the vault list and let us know what you think. If you like it, let us know so we can maybe move forward to the next step with it and if you don't like it, say so too so you can suggest what changes you think should be made to it. I hope you like it though as I think I've covered alot of the politics involved as well as possible under the circumstances. Same goes for everyone else, we should really try to move things along here. What do you think is the best ideas you've read/seen so far? (Hopefully Stewy can get a hold of some of those set lists for capitol center '75 and some of those other vague concert listings on the vault list to give us more ideas about this. OK people, let's hear it, what do you think?

John
Old 08-21-2001, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jo and Jensen
Les,
Is there a way to get a vote or gauge opinion on if the disc should be a "Best Of" or a "complete" compilation since that seems to be an important question?
Hi there,

That is a good question. Because there are a lot of different things that people want to see, Johnny Stew (Brian) and I were tossing around the idea about the sorts of things we should put up for a vote. It's not even just the "Best of" vs. "complete" ideas, but also, I know there are some folks who are interested in a few of the documentaries or full concert shows (if we can ever find out what's on some of the videos that have such generic descriptions).

Via Marty, Ken has indicated that "his people" are now beginning to try to open a more serious dialogue with Warner Bros. It would be really helpful for all of us to know if there are some things on that list that are off-limits to us, or if we can even get a better idea of what some of the items are. I'm not sure how long this will take. I was hoping to vote after we knew for sure what was really available to us, but it would be better to get the general format of the DVD decided pretty quickly. So I think we might just hold that vote sooner and then hold subsequent votes to decide on each last piece included in whatever format is chosen.

Tell me what you think about this? I was thinking an initial, more generic vote might consist of something like the following:

Option 1 - Best of Compilation: with "best of" peformances & the videos. Something similar to the list I posted previously.

Option 2 - Alternate Compilation: a similar idea, but with some of the kinds of rarer performances that John has mentioned, plus the videos.

Option 3 - A documentary plus the videos.

Option 4 - A documentary plus some live performances

Option 5 - A few live concerts in their entirety (IF we can find out what they are, what they contain, how long they are, etc...)

How does that sound?
Old 08-21-2001, 06:23 PM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

Sounds good Les! It's a tough question though. We would go for option 1 or Option 5 for a first release. We really hope that the first release would do well enough to give us the documentaries later on because they are excellent.

We were just wondering, though, if majority opinion still wanted all of the MTV Music Videos even though some of them are not really that good. But, we like the hard work you all are putting into this and look forward to any of the options.

:-)

Love,
Jo and Jensen
Old 08-21-2001, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Once again...

We need to keep in mind that it is going to be important to Ken's people that this initial release sells well so we may have to have things be a little more generic (like the music videos) than we might want (as fans) for this first collection. As much as all of us can't wait to see alot of this stuff, if we choose only what the fans want against what the general public wants then we can kiss any hopes of a second (and any more releaeses for that matter) goodbye so this is of the utmost importance.

Like we were saying about Warners and CD releases. They would probably only agree to putting unreleased stuff at the end of remastered CD albums as oppossed to releasing a disc of strictly unreleased stuff because as much as we would like to think something like that would sell to the general public (that is in the quantities that Warners want to sell) in all honesty, they are probably right and it wouldn't sell so I've written to them requesting that they remaster the albums with bonus tracks as I hope others have too.

So anyways, the same ground rules would apply here with the video and as we say since all of the bands videos add up to an hour the other hour could be the rare live performances. This certainly sems like a fair compromise on that level. It would just need to be determined what the content of the other half would be. You'll notice on the "Ken's DVD" poll I posted a while back that most people are for the mixture anyways. I hope that the answers releaved in that poll should save us time by telling us some useful facts regarding fan preferences against company demands as very few people have opted for "live stuff only" and this in the minds of the company people wouldn't sell anyways. They will only agree to releasing it if they know they will make and not lose money on it so please take this into consideration everyone. Wouldn't it be better to compromise for the company a little on this one and get lots of good stuff on possibly countless future releases than putting your foot down and saying "well, here's your list of 10,000 people and we all want this even though we know it won't sell to the general public" and if we are lucky enough afterwards that it's released, there most likely won't be another one released and we will get no more chances of releases of this footage again. Oh well, as over a thousand of us have agreed we will buy it despite what's on it, I'm sure we'll all be happy campers in the end!

John
Old 08-21-2001, 08:54 PM
Gypsyblue

Les,
Great idea!
Just let us know when the vote begins.
Or should we just cast our vote now???
Old 08-22-2001, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsyblue
Les,
Great idea!
Just let us know when the vote begins.
Or should we just cast our vote now???
Hi,

We'll try to get the vote up some time today. I'll start it in a different thread so that it's easier to find.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:35 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default DVD listings

I personally would prefer only the music videos.
Since we are limited to 10-12 choices, why not save
the live clips for the ongoing series...and not jumble it all just yet.
This would be my ideal choice of contents:

- Seven Wonders
- Gypsy
- Hold Me
- Little Lies
- Everywhere
- Sara
- Big Love
- Love In Store?
- As Long As You Follow
- Save Me
- Skies The Limit
- Paper Doll

Thanks.
this is a cool thing you're doing guys.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face

I would not include Paper Doll, just becuase there is no real music video there. It is just a sort of commerical for the Chain boxset nothing more. I would rather have Love Shines if we need a video from that release.

And also I think there has to be at least 1 more lindsey cut. Your list only has Big Love.

Otherwise my picks would be about the same as yours.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird28 View Post
I would not include Paper Doll, just becuase there is no real music video there. It is just a sort of commerical for the Chain boxset nothing more. I would rather have Love Shines if we need a video from that release.

And also I think there has to be at least 1 more lindsey cut. Your list only has Big Love.

Otherwise my picks would be about the same as yours.

oh no's!! paper doll is so much better than love shines....

PD FTW!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittermoondust View Post
I thought I remembered seeing a video for Oh Diane as well that should be added to the list don't you think?? And I agree that Isn't it Midnight and Sara from the Tusk documentary should be left off just because it has already been released and would be released again if those concerts went on DVD. Rhiannon from the Midnight Special would be great though as that hasn't been officially released on anything yet Also if getting names might be a problem--could people that are going to some of Stevie's up coming concerts maybe leave some flyers around or something like that to get more signatures and get the word out?? Just a thought......

~Amy~

Just for anyone who wasn't aware: Both Rhiannon and Over My Head from the Midnight Special are on DVD. In fact, I just watched them tonight! Unfortunately those DVDs are not sold retail--they are part of a series of Midnight Specials that you buy as a package. I saw the informercial on TV late one night and had to have them! They send one each month - 2 from each year spanning 1973-1981. The very first one was a "million seller" comp. that included Rhiannon. The first 1976 DVD contained Over My Head (both songs were obviously performed at the same show).

Aside from these great performances, the collection is an amazing, unbelieveable capsule that shows how wacky and wonderful the seventies were for its diversity; quite an education for those who lived through it and those who came after! I highly recommend them ...especially when you're high! Plus the quality is stunning...you would swear they filmed them yesterday.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-18-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Just for anyone who wasn't aware: Both Rhiannon and Over My Head from the Midnight Special are on DVD. In fact, I just watched them tonight! Unfortunately those DVDs are not sold retail--they are part of a series of Midnight Specials that you buy as a package. I saw the informercial on TV late one night and had to have them! They send one each month - 2 from each year spanning 1973-1981. The very first one was a "million seller" comp. that included Rhiannon. The first 1976 DVD contained Over My Head (both songs were obviously performed at the same show).

Aside from these great performances, the collection is an amazing, unbelieveable capsule that shows how wacky and wonderful the seventies were for its diversity; quite an education for those who lived through it and those who came after! I highly recommend them ...especially when you're high! Plus the quality is stunning...you would swear they filmed them yesterday.
Oh wow--I don't even remember posting what I posted waaaaay back in 2001!! LMAO!! But I do also have the Midnight Special DVDs........ quite honestly I haven't watched mine yet!! I really need to do that!! Thanks for the heads up!!! I hope FM still consider putting out something with all of their videos!!!

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!