User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Junior Ledgie

Question Bob Welch "Love On The Line"

Greetings to all ... can anyone hekp ?
I'm trying to find out details on a Bob Welch track that appeared on his long-unavailable "Eye Contact" album from 1983. "Love On The Line" (so I've been told) features various members of The Beach Boys on backing vocals, and seeing that I'm an avid collector of said band I'd like to know more.
I have a copy of the track on tape but have no further details.
Composer(s) ?? Producer(s) ?? Which Beach Boys appear ??
Can anyone out there assist ?? Thanks .....
Old 05-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The liner notes don't say who played on what track, but here's the scoop on the entire album. (The only BB's who appear are Carl Wilson & Al Jardine)

Guitars, vocals-Bob Welch
Guitars, synthesisers, producer-Jeffery "Skunk" Baxter
Drums: Ed Greene
Bass: Nathan East (Eric Clapton's bass player for the past 15 years)
Piano & Synthesiser: Jame Ehinger
Synthesisers: Jame S. King
Saxophone: Jerry Peterson
Background vocals: Tommy Funderburk, Carl Wilson, Alan Jardine, Myrna Smith-Schilling, Paulette McWilliams, Van Redding & Bob Welch.

Recorded & mixed at: Cherokee Studios, Hollywood Ca
Additional recording: Casual Sound, Los Angeles, Ca
Mastered by Steven Marcussen at Precision Lacquer

Producer: Jeff Baxter (for El Cheapo Productions)
Engineer: Larold Rebhun
Production Assistant: Shari Dub
Assistant Engineers: Curtis Drake & Coke Johnson

"Love On The Line" was written by Bob Welch
Old 02-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Ledgie

Default Fun Welch Album

I've been trying to find this cd for quite sometime. Does anyone know if it has ever be re-released on cd.

I used to have the LP but now just have a recording on cassette. It's really a fun album! The above mentioned song in my opinon was really good. I thought it could have even been a hit. It was a ballad done very nicely. The beach boys backing fit in perfectly. Overall though, the album is a nice mix or rock and ballads. His last two RCA album seem to have a different sound or approach from the ones done with Capitol. I thought Bob did some outstanding vocals on this one. I understand that neither RCA album sold very well but it sure didn't reflect on the quality and the outstanding performances by Bob and his band.

Does anyone think the reason Eye Contact failed to sell was poor marketing from the record company. This was 1983 and music videos were just getting big. Does anyone know if there was a video for any of the Eye Contact tracks. Maybe if there had been, or if it had been promoted differently sales would have been much better? Did "Love On The Line" get played as a single? Has anyone heard it on the radio? Maybe it would have caught on if it had been given half a chance? I don't know, just speculating?

If you are Bob Welch fan, I would at least recommend that you hear these two albums. Maybe others were not as impressed as myself, but you don't know unless you hear them for yourself. The 1981 self-titled has a more hard Rock approach, whereas Eye Contact is a bit softer but still does its fair share of "rocking". These albums are too good to let just fall into oblivion, again JMHO!

I really wish these wouldn't have been his last pop/rock albums. I thought he was right on target with both of these. Although, I do remember him saying from his Q&A session that he was a bit disappointed with the 1981 RCA album, being he was pressured into some songs that might have selling appeal. Like his version of "Bend Me Shape Me". Bob mentioned in his Q&A that he wouldn't care to revisit that song again. However, I really enjoyed his interpretation of it, sounded GREAT.

I might go as far as to say, along with his 1981 self-titled album, that these were my two favorite solo albums of his. Although, each of his solo albums had great songs and each of us picks out different things we like. Just my 2 cents! If anyone does hear of cd re-issues please post!

Last edited by greenfire; 02-14-2004 at 10:54 AM..
Old 02-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Fun Welch Album

Quote:
Originally posted by greenfire
I've been trying to find this cd for quite sometime. Does anyone know if it has ever be re-released on cd.
It was issued on CD, with "Man Overboard," as part of a two albums on one CD deal in England a while back (In fact, I just got a copy I found on Ebay!)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

REALLY?!?

I know The Other One & Man Overboard was released as a twoferone set. I didn't know Eye Contact EVER was released on CD (nor the "yellow" album)
Old 02-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
REALLY?!?

I know The Other One & Man Overboard was released as a twoferone set. I didn't know Eye Contact EVER was released on CD (nor the "yellow" album)
D'oh! My bad. I should know by now not to post after a day of international travel. (Okay, so it was only Canada, but still...) You're correct, it was The Other One & Man Overboard.

Incidentally, the "yellow" album WAS released on CD in Japan a while back. I found my copy on ebay, but it's long out of print.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 02-17-2004 at 11:32 AM..
Old 02-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveMacD

Incidentally, the "yellow" album WAS released on CD in Japan a while back. I found my copy on ebay, but it's long out of print.
ChiliD & SteveMacD, I never realized the 1981 album was also referred to as the "yellow", a good reference name for it though.

I've also seen the Japanese import cd of "yellow" on eBay, but even then it does seem rare and resulting in bidding wars!

Bob mentioned in his Q&A about looking into the RCA situation. I'm hoping he was referring to getting these two cds re-issued!