User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
You're probably right... though Sisters isn't about a witch at all. It's about Stevie's coming to grips with fame.
Yes. It's about fans, critics, feeling ostracized despite her popularity, questioning the motives of everyone around you, phony 'friends' who are really just groupies, using you to further their own personal agendas.

All the witchy lyrics about black robes and moons and stairways are just a cover up, because Stevie has never been really comfortable just saying what she thinks or feels. There's always an analogy. Always a metaphor. She describes Planets of the Universe as 'the meanest lyrics' she's ever written.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
A sexy female rock DJ in a fog shrouded lighthouse was inspired by John Wayne?Are you sure she didn't mean Bruce Wayne? that would have been more believeable.

She said John Carpenter loved John Wayne. By the way, that woman is beautiful. She is like 70 and looks 40. Gorgeous.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Yes. It's about fans, critics, feeling ostracized despite her popularity, questioning the motives of everyone around you, phony 'friends' who are really just groupies, using you to further their own personal agendas.

All the witchy lyrics about black robes and moons and stairways are just a cover up, because Stevie has never been really comfortable just saying what she thinks or feels. There's always an analogy. Always a metaphor. She describes Planets of the Universe as 'the meanest lyrics' she's ever written.
Well I could write a song called Toe Jam and then tell the world it's really about world peace.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think it'd be fair to describe SoTM as being about a witch, though. Yes, of course the character is a metaphor for Stevie herself, but literally the song is about a witch. I doubt Ryan Murphy is really so up on Stevie-isms that he's going to casually describe that song as "A metaphoric song about Stevie coming to terms with fame" in an interview.

But then, he could surprise me.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I think it'd be fair to describe SoTM as being about a witch, though. Yes, of course the character is a metaphor for Stevie herself, but literally the song is about a witch. I doubt Ryan Murphy is really so up on Stevie-isms that he's going to casually describe that song as "A metaphoric song about Stevie coming to terms with fame" in an interview.

But then, he could surprise me.
Thank you. Nightbird belongs on this show. Sable on Blonde, Trouble in Shangri La, Moonlight, New Orleans, Has Anyone Written, Outside the Rain, Still of the Night, The Wild Heart, Beauty and the Beast, Illume, Smile at You...

Judging by the Director's attitude we are going to get the standards, Gypsy Dance on next weeks episode by Lily Rabe, Gold Dust Woman, Landslide, Stand Back... I don't think we are going to get any surprises except maybe a redo of song for the finale.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I know they're boring choices, but I always thought GDW and Sara both had an ethereal and dramatic quality that would make them good choices for a lot of soundtracks. I'm hoping they pop up, standards though they may be.

Moonlight would be a good choice too. It'll be interesting to see what else pops up.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Well I could write a song called Toe Jam and then tell the world it's really about world peace.
But then your lyrics would have be interpretable as being about peaceful things in the world.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Thank you. Nightbird belongs on this show. Sable on Blonde, Trouble in Shangri La, Moonlight, New Orleans, Has Anyone Written, Outside the Rain, Still of the Night, The Wild Heart, Beauty and the Beast, Illume, Smile at You...
Yes, please!!

I haven't watched any episodes yet...but I've been recording them.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG I can't find my CD with Twisted Demo on it. Can someone send me it?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc1990 View Post
One thing that struck me as odd was when Zoe asked "Stevie Nicks from American Idol?"
The thing a lot of us long time Stevie fans forget is that we came into Stevie's fandom through her videos and albums, though the 70's, 80's, and 90's. The 16 year olds are discovering her through her Twilight connection, American Idol, hopping on stage with Maroon 5 and stuff like that. So it's not unusual for Zoe to have AI as her first Stevie exposure.

There was a little girl on Vine who posted a video with the title being something like "My Stevie Nicks impression". I conjured images of this little girl throwing on her mom's lace table cloth and spinning around and around. Was I surprised to see this little girl in a full face closeup put on a pair of gold and tan aviator sunglasses and start lipsynching to Edge of Seventeen. I thought it was so funny for someone's who's signature thing has been the same for 40 years to now have a whole new image in the minds of this new generation.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Chicago Sun Times

http://voices.suntimes.com/arts-ente...coven-episode/

Arts & Entertainment, The Daily Sizzle - October 16, 2013 9:55 pm
Stevie Nicks’ witch rumors fly again in tonight’s ‘American Horror Story: Coven’ episode

Rumors about Stevie Nicks being a witch have hounded the singer-songwriter for years, so it’s little surprise the writers of “American Horror Story: Coven” have woven the long-time Fleetwood Mac songstress into this season’s storyline.

Lily Rabe’s character, Misty Day, is a young woman from a backwoods Pentecostal community in the bayous of Louisiana. Without a coven to call her own, she spends her days wandering the swamps and jamming to — who else? — Stevie Nicks.

In Wednesday night’s episode, “Rhiannon” plays in the background in Misty’s cabin, where Zoe (Taissa Farmiga) has brought her Frankenstein of a boyfriend, Kyle (Evan Peters).

“Who sings this?” Zoe asks Misty.

“Who sings it?” Misty asks with the incredulity adults use on children oblivious to pop culture facts that pre-date them.

“Fleetwood Mac,” Misty continues, looking at a photo of the bewitching singer. “Stevie Nicks is my hero.”

“That’s Stevie Nicks from ‘American Idol?’” Zoe asks. (I love the humor so far this season.)

“Stevie Nicks. The White Witch. The only witch before you I’ve ever known,” Misty says.

“She’s an actual witch?” asks Zoe.

“Listen to the lyrics,” Misty says wistfully. “This song was her anthem.”

Rumors of witchcraft have been so prevalent in Nicks’ life, they have their own sub-section in her Wikipedia (or should that be Wiccapedia?) entry:

A rumor that has trailed Nicks through the years is that she is a witch and is heavily involved in Wicca. While she admits to having a high regard for the mythic and gothic, she denies any solitary dedication to any one religion, including Wicca. She has spoken about this erroneous image in numerous interviews. Nicks’ music is copyrighted under the name Welsh Witch Music, a reference to her song “Rhiannon,” which she introduced as “a song about a Welsh witch” in concerts between 1975 and 1978. Nicks also stated: “I spent thousands of dollars on beautiful black clothes and had to stop wearing them for a long time because a lot of people scared me. And that’s really unfair to me, I think, for people – other people – to conjure up their ideas of what I am or what I believe in.” (She says this in the video below.) Nicks has spoken of her faith, stating that she believes in angels and knows that she is alive today because “there was a God” looking out for her during her years of addiction. Because of the rumors of witchcraft, Nicks has been pursued for years by numerous stalkers from around the country. At one point, her longstanding attorney, Ed McPherson, who routinely has obtained restraining orders against all of them, indicated that she had at least one stalker a year. However, all of her stalkers have abided by the restraining orders, and none has become violent.

As Nicks said in the second video posted below: “I have a lot of things more important that I can worry about than people thinking I’m a witch.”

Wonder what she thinks of Wednesday’s episode…
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[So, it seems like Seven Wonders might be one of the Stevie songs we're getting based on a producer's reference to those words. By the way, I didn't know that Tim Minear was on American Horror Story. This guy has rocked my world with his Angel scripts, in the past]

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/fall-tv/ho...233806493.html

Yahoo

We know that Fiona's the Supreme. She sucked the life out of the doctor in "Bitchcraft" and nearly fried the investigators' brains in "Boy Parts," among other things. What exactly is the extent of her powers?

What we learn coming up is that there's a test that a Supreme in waiting has to go through — a series of tests — called "The Seven Wonders," and so each of these tests represents a different area of magic. So presumably, Fiona has successfully performed all seven wonders.

But as Cordelia says in the first episode, the Supreme is a witch that has many gifts; some even say all gifts. Even [the witches] are not entirely sure to what extent the Supreme might hold power.

She does not have Nan's power [clairvoyance], so far as we know.

We love the use of "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac as Misty's theme song. Whose decision was it to use a Fleetwood Mac song?

It was Ryan's. When we were talking about Misty and who she was, he just had this notion that she would be obsessed with Stevie Nicks. The idea being that Misty was kind of cut off from her tribe, that she didn't know any other witches. She sort of plucked this image out of pop culture and projected onto her a kind of sisterhood, a thing that she was yearning for. And whether or not Stevie Nicks is actually a witch is something to be determined.

Does Stevie Nicks have a greater role in "Coven"?

[Misty's] obsession with Stevie Nicks doesn't go away. And we will be hearing more wonderful Stevie Nicks music.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And whether or not Stevie Nicks is actually a witch is something to be determined.
If that doesn't point to a cameo appearance, I don't know what does. Though I still have my doubts.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
If that doesn't point to a cameo appearance, I don't know what does. Though I still have my doubts.
If there's a bookmaker taking odds, I put all the money I have on NO appearance by Stevie. Not on that show.

Michele
Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
If there's a bookmaker taking odds, I put all the money I have on NO appearance by Stevie. Not on that show.

Michele

Why not, Adam Levine, a big fan of Stevie's did last season?