Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Scathing interview by Ken Caillat

Explosive Ken Caillat Interview: Famed Fleetwood Mac Producer Recounts Turmoil

Famed Fleetwood Mac Producer Recounts the Turmoil and Triumphs of ‘Rumours’

"Were the band members asked to participate?
I got a call back from the management, and he said, “Lindsey might write his own book, so he has asked the band not to support you and the book.” They basically said, “No. We’re not going to do the book.”

"Christine McVie has read the book now, and she told me that she loved it. Christine said that I brought passion back into the music for her and brought back so many memories. She’s the only real sweetheart in the group. The rest of them are all fighting with each other."

Christine might’ve given you an interview to use in the book.
"Right. But, Fleetwood Mac is a very complex group. I talked to Warner Bros. the other day. I was working on footage for the enhanced book and they used the “F” word, saying, “You know, Fleetwood Mac is just a nightmare."

"At the time, Christine said she would definitely do an interview. Then, she asked if anyone else in the band had given one. I said, “Well, honestly, no. Lindsey said he didn’t want them doing it because he said he might want one day to do a book himself.” Christine said, “I don’t want to go against anybody else.”

"There was no responsibility for anybody to take care of anybody else, but they are rich and some of the people like Judy Wong … she was found in her apartment after being dead for a week. Judy did everything for Christine McVie and the band, and for her not to be given whatever she needed … she died toothless. "

"Ray Lindsey, a roadie, works for Conan. He said, “Ken, I’m kind of haunted by this. I feel like I want to write a book to tell about it and to get the demons out of my head.” Richard said that they’ve pretty much abandoned him. He would work for Lindsey three years straight without getting a check. He just took advantage of him. So, Richard, being a pretty sensitive guy, just sold and gave away every piece of Fleetwood Mac memorabilia he had."

"I used to be able to call Mick or Stevie directly, but now I get someone else who answers and says, “Who’s this? Oh yeah, you’re the guy from 20 years ago.”

"Do you know of any plans for Fleetwood Mac to reunite for a tour?"
"Nope. I don’t think so. I did a Christine McVie album in 2003, and I suggested that before Fleetwood Mac ever goes on the next tour maybe they should go into the studio and record a few songs from Christine’s 2005 album. It would be really great because it would be the first Fleetwood Mac/Christine songs in a long time, and it would break through to the radio."

"Christine loved the idea. But, who knows? I told that to Mick, but he has no power over anybody. If Stevie thinks that Lindsey thought of something first, she’ll say ‘no,’ and vice versa. They could be doing so well, you know? If they had only listened to me, they could be doing so well. They’re just people. They have ups and downs, and quite honestly, they’re all down now. They could make a lot of people happy if they’d just cut the crap and just be human beings, not anything special."

"They’re not friggin’ special, and their crap stinks like everybody else’s, goddamit! They need to just get it through their heads. They need to knock it off and just be real. Nobody gets to put anybody down with power trips."

"I got a message on Facebook saying, “I love this book. Would you please write Tusk?” I actually started writing Tusk. I’m only about ten pages in, but I’m not sure I’m really that excited about doing it because it’s going to be a little more negative than this one. I think this book is pretty light with a loving look at music."

Read the full interview at Smashinginterviews

http://smashinginterviews.com/interv...phs-of-rumours

Read the full interview. there is lots more than this. This is edited

Last edited by Jondalar; 03-29-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Shouldn't this be in the Rumours forum?

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it sounds like sour grapes too me......Is he complaining that no one from FM wants to help him market his own book??
Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephxaz View Post
it sounds like sour grapes too me......Is he complaining that no one from FM wants to help him market his own book??
I think it's more than sour grapes. Ken is just saying the exact same things which Mick himself recently said in his scathing Playboy interview. Even Stevie & Lindsey have said the same things about Fleetwood Mac. They all blame each other, but no one is willing to take responsibility & put their pride aside. It's unfortunate. I feel like Fleetwood Mac probably has died it's final death, & that the possibility of a new, great studio album is dead too. I dearly hope I'm wrong, though.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If it's true that:

1. Christine didn't want to go against the rest of the band, and

2. Christine was open to the idea of recording some of her solo songs with FM,

Then, I'm happy.

Michele
Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Supporting Ledgie

haha "scathing"... I enjoyed it for sure. I definitely think Ken has many valid points. I think he, like many of us, are a bit tired of the senselessness of some of the things the band does. They just need to be a band and get on with it. The bits about Dashut were extremely disheartening... but hey, we're only getting Kens side of the story. Even if Lindsey, Stevie, and John were to all wrote their own books, I don't reckon we'll ever really know the full truth.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
If it's true that:

1. Christine didn't want to go against the rest of the band, and

2. Christine was open to the idea of recording some of her solo songs with FM,

Then, I'm happy.

Michele
That's long been confirmed, hasn't it? I thought Chris was just opposed to touring, which is why she was not allowed to record with FM for SYW.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Really kind of shocked about Judy Wong. Just....wow.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
That's long been confirmed, hasn't it? I thought Chris was just opposed to touring, which is why she was not allowed to record with FM for SYW.
Well, this was true during the SYW recording process. Ken's comments make it sound like it was also true some time after that. I like to think it's a continued openness.

Michele
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, Ken...just wow!

Petty and small...same as he paints the band members. The goat, once again, is... the envelope please! So Ken was just sucking up at the Tech Awards? Didn't pay off the way he expected?

Poor Judy. Poor Rich. Poor Ray. The band just takes advantage of people then dumps them. Band members don't support former employees for life? That sucks.

As part of the FM family I wonder if Ken's sharing his book royalties with Rich, or Ray, or any of the other people who've been left in the dust by the band?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Really kind of shocked about Judy Wong. Just....wow.
I had the same thought at first too...but when was the last time Judy was associated with FM? Early 80s? And even then, her really prime involvement, I believe, was a decade prior. Sure, it would have been nice to think that they had some sort of relationship with Judy up until the end of her life, but how do we know they didn't?

I also read somewhere that Mick/the band payed for her entire funeral. Could be a case of "too little, too late," or maybe they did have a good relationship up until the end. I don't know.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As much as I can't wait to read Ken's book, and respect Ken, I don't think it's fair for the band to be expected to take care of former employees, decades after employment ended. Just because they have the money, doesn't mean it's their money, too!

I hope that Ray really didn't work for 3 years without a check! Now, if that's true, they should at least make that right.

I wasn't aware that Ray was no longer with them...does anyone know what happened???
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, this was interesting.

So basically, Lindsey's writing a book. Christine is interested in recording with the band and basically doesn't want to do anything against their wishes. Everyone sucks at communicating and they all are horrible to the people they used to work with - except for Christine, the only sweet one.

Quote:
I told that to Mick, but he has no power over anybody. If Stevie thinks that Lindsey thought of something first, she’ll say ‘no,’ and vice versa. They could be doing so well, you know?
So wait.. does this mean that Stevie won't do something if Lindsey wants to do it (and vice versa) or that Stevie won't do something UNLESS Lindsey wants to (and vice versa)?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
As much as I can't wait to read Ken's book, and respect Ken, I don't think it's fair for the band to be expected to take care of former employees, decades after employment ended. Just because they have the money, doesn't mean it's their money, too!

I hope that Ray really didn't work for 3 years without a check! Now, if that's true, they should at least make that right.

I wasn't aware that Ray was no longer with them...does anyone know what happened???
I remember LB and Stevie mentioning it was Ray's last show during the last SYW show.

I think it was Richard who went 3 years w/o a check.

I think the band does owe something to employees, especially long-term ones. Especially Judy. She arranged the band's first US tour back in '68, she brought Bob Welch into the fold, she was a major part of the band during the heyday...You take care of people who take care of you.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. Even though simple charity would prompt you to help someone if you can, to keep them from being homeless, you can't support them indefinitely. If you paid them fairly when they were with you, that's about all you can be expected to do.

Quote:

I don't know, but even after he'd stopped working for Lindsey he showed up when Lindsey first started promoting his GOS album, to help for a couple of those first appearances. Then, I haven't seen him around since.

Michele