The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Brad Jeffries Q&A re: Stevie (& lots of other stars!)

I will copy & paste the Stevie questions here, but it's worth following the link to see Brad's answers about many other stars, including Madonna, Cher, Joan Rivers, Keanu Reeves, Meryl Streep & others he's worked with...
https://www.quora.com/profile/Brad-Jeffries

How much did the secret relationship between Jimmy Iovine and Stevie Nicks impact the fate of Fleetwood Mac?
I’m not sure it did….

Disclaimer: I am only writing an answer as one who knew the players at the time and was watching the proceedings from the periphery.

I only know for sure that when Jimmy Iovine produced Stevie’s first solo album, “Belladonna”, it provided Stevie with an outlet to shine as a solo artist. He then followed up by producing her sophomore album “The Wild Heart”which cemented her right to write and perform her own music, sans the Mac.

I know that her first album was resented by the Mac, especially Lindsey Buckingham, who though unboubtably talented, didn’t possess the “star”factor that Stevie did and does. Stevie told me some of the things he said to her during the VERY brief time she was able to promote her album, “Belladonna”, before having to return to the band to promote “Tusk”. Let’s just say they were not words of support and encouragement…

Interestingly, Stevie’s solo debut charted at #1 on Billboard, while the Fleetwood Mac’s previous album peaked at #4. Needless, to say, there must have been resentment from Stevie’s band mates as none of them have ever approached her level of solo fame and success.

Eventually even Lindsey came around to give Stevie the well deserved respect that she is due, perhaps because it has been clear to all that Fleetwood Mac without Stevie, simply can’t generate the kind of big arena revenue that it does with her onstage. Ironic, as Stevie was initially “tolerated” by the group upon she and Lindsey joining the already established group in the 70’s!!

So in short, I am not certain that any relationship between Jimmy and Stevie led to her having a break with the band, rather I believe Jimmy saw and encouraged Stevie to record solo. I know Jimmy gave Stevie the strength and courage to step out on her own musically, and thank goodness he did!! Obviously Jimmy Iovine has the gift of seeing true talent and knowing what to do with that!!

For the record, Stevie never “left” the band, simply recorded and briefly promoted her first album on a break that existed after the release of “Tusk”.

As a beginner vocalist, is it hard to sing the Edge of Seventeen in the style of Stevie Nicks?
First I must ask you a question; why would you want to sing it in the style of Stevie? Why not bring your own voice to the song and interpret the song in your own voice?

The song was written by Stevie and of course her style is what people are used to, but I think it is a mistake to try and imitate her vocal style. Stevie’s vocal quality is so unique that it is almost impossible to imitate it. I once heard Sheryl Crow say that when she sang a duet with Stevie onstage,( a single that was released as a duet sung by the two women), it became almost impossible to retain her own vocal style, as Stevie’s voice is SO distinct and individual, that Sheryl said she ended up falling into an imitation of Stevie’s vocalizations..

What is Stevie Nicks like in person?
Knowing Stevie for 30+ years, I believe I can give you some insight into how I experience her as a friend and what she is like to just 'be" with. First let me say that Stevie is one of the most loyal, generous and kind people I have ever known, and on top of that she is as funny and witty as anyone I know.

I say this next bit with some trepidation as I don't wish to sound odd, but working artists are different than people who don't live and work in the arts; yet at the same time they are the same as every body else in life. They are sometimes grumpy, tired, bored and boring. Other times they are fun, happy, uplifting and positive. I guess what I am trying to say is that we are ALL basically the same. Souls traveling through this life trying to do the best we can and striving to improve to be become better kinder souls while we walk around in these meat suits, hopefully long enough to experience all the stages of life while keeping our fingers crossed that along the way we give love to others and are loved by others, and we get a smidge wiser along the way.

But back to the question...(sorry but I awoke at 2:30 a.m. and am rambling obviously) When Stevie is creating or performing she is a gift from God to be around. And when she is hanging out on a day off, she is like any other friend you have known for decades. Sometimes I think Stevie is one of the most normal friends I have ever had. She is a genuinely beautiful and kind soul.

What is it like to be close friends with someone who's famous?
Originally Answered: What does it feel like to be a close friend of a "world-famous" star?
It feels the same as having any good friend in your life. I woke up to a message to check out today's cover of Rolling Stone, which my friend of over 30 years is gracing the cover of....Stevie Nicks. I'm so happy for her and also very proud of her. She is so deserving of every honor coming her way these days, as she is so hard working, dedicated and talented. She has sacrificed many of the things that many people take for granted to create a body of work that continues to bring joy to people. She is truly a legend, and more importantly, a great friend!

Last edited by ricohv; 04-16-2018 at 07:22 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting that! In the link, he also mentions working with Keanu Reeves on Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and that they rehearsed in Stevie's house in Phoenix. I had a crush on Brad from the first time I saw him in Stand Back and this was the first time I learned he was gay for sure. Maybe I have a chance after all LOL! He comes across as a very nice guy.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks for posting that! In the link, he also mentions working with Keanu Reeves on Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and that they rehearsed in Stevie's house in Phoenix. I had a crush on Brad from the first time I saw him in Stand Back and this was the first time I learned he was gay for sure. Maybe I have a chance after all LOL! He comes across as a very nice guy.
I knew he palled around w Stevie a bit but never knew for sure he was gay. Or that he worked with all those other people-especially that he was so involved in Madonna's early years.
I don't really understand what the forum is for this Q & A-it seems to be associated with his work site. But whatever it is-I like his insights on all those people.
Stevie always says she's ok with gays but sometimes it comes across awkward (remember the MTV show where the girl came out to Stevie?) or around that same time the interview w Sandra Bernhard. Anyways-good to see she actually did have a homie-o!
Old 04-17-2018, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought Brad was the hottie in the 'If Anyone Falls' video!

Nowadays, he works as a massage therapist in San Jose, California:

https://www.cupertinochiropracticcenter.com/about/
Old 04-17-2018, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
I always thought Brad was the hottie in the 'If Anyone Falls' video!

Nowadays, he works as a massage therapist in San Jose, California:

https://www.cupertinochiropracticcenter.com/about/
I think he was also in If Anyone Falls, as well as Talk to Me, I Can't Wait, and Rooms on Fire. Beautiful man!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for sharing. He's always seemed really earthy like Stevie, so I'm not surprised they hit it off so well and continue to be friends to this day.