Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default LB to headline star-studded fundraiser for Dem candidates

http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html

By MICHAEL LIVINGSTON
Lindsey Buckingham to headline star-studded fundraiser for Democratic candidates

Lindsey Buckingham will perform at a meet-and-greet fundraiser for Democratic congressional hopefuls.
Lindsey Buckingham will perform at a meet-and-greet fundraiser for Democratic congressional hopefuls. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)
A star-studded fundraiser for Democratic candidates in key House races is scheduled for next month.

Former Fleetwood Mac lead guitarist Lindsey Buckingham will perform at the Los Angeles home of California Coastal Commissioner Chair Dayna Bochco on July 31.

The event’s co-hosts include directors Cameron Crowe and Callie Khouri, affordable housing developer Tom Safran, producers Doug Wick and Bill Mechanic and “Game of Thrones” co-creator David Benioff.

“The road to take back the House of Representatives runs through California,” Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Torrance) wrote in an email invitation. “You can meet all eight of our wonderful red-to-blue candidates in one place … eight terrific candidates. Awesome songs. Amazing people.”

Donations will go to the newly created California Candidates Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee for these congressional hopefuls in the state: Gil Cisneros, T.J. Cox, Josh Harder, Katie Hill, Mike Levin and Katie Porter.

The candidates are all competing in races former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton won in 2016. Andrew Janz also is participating in the fundraiser. He’s running against Rep. Devin Nunes in the 22nd Congressional District, which Clinton lost.

There is still a contested race between real estate investor Harley Rouda and stem cell scientist Hans Keirstead in the 48th Congressional District race. On Friday afternoon, only 20 votes separated the two candidates. Whoever is declared the victor will get a portion the funds raised at this event.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a fan of the man's music but definitely not of his politics. Of course, it's his right to express his views but he's apparently becoming more of an activist.
I think he's an amazing talent who was treated shabbily by the band but at this point I don't think I'll further patronize him.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
I'm a fan of the man's music but definitely not of his politics. Of course, it's his right to express his views but he's apparently becoming more of an activist.
I think he's an amazing talent who was treated shabbily by the band but at this point I don't think I'll further patronize him.
i think this is partly a result of him currently not having any management, apparently. all these gigs are set by Cameron Crowe, who is his friend.

that said, i know some people have trouble separating politics from the artist. there are people who stopped going to see Springsteen after he stomped and performed at various political events. but - Bruce or Lindsey are not artists who bring their political views in their regular shows. they are different from Roger Waters, for example, in that regard. if a musician makes the show around expressing his political views, then i can see people with different views not patronizing that show. when the show is just music, i can't say that i understand when people say they will stop seeing an amazing artist they love.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, I'll still listen to his music but regardless of where any artist sits on the political spectrum, I pay to be entertained and not to be lectured by them - whether they're Roger Waters or Ted Nugent.

Last edited by Dr.Brown; 06-09-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Old 06-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow how cool is this, he is such an all-round hero. Will some funds go to helping battered and abused women too?!
Old 06-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, I'll still listen to his music but regardless of where any artist sits on the political spectrum, I pay to be entertained and not be lectured by them - whether they're Roger Waters or Ted Nugent.
makes complete sense.

and certainly would not expect anyone not agreeing with particular politics to attend a political fundraiser(where paying to attend equates to donating to that cause). i have to wonder how much the cheapest tix for this will be. this is at the Steven Bochco's (of “Hill Street Blues,” “L.A. Law,” “NYPD Blue,” died of cancer recently) house i believe.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
makes complete sense.

and certainly would not expect anyone not agreeing with particular politics to attend a political fundraiser(where paying to attend equates to donating to that cause). i have to wonder how much the cheapest tix for this will be. this is at the Steven Bochco's (of “Hill Street Blues,” “L.A. Law,” “NYPD Blue,” died of cancer recently) house i believe.
He's out there using his talent for something he believes in. Regardless of the side of the aisle you sit on--I respect that. Ted Kennedy and John McCain were great friends and political "foes". We can all get along.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, Lindsey did something you don’t agree with that got under your skin enough that you’re writing him off? And, yet you’re still angry the band fired him?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So, Lindsey did something you don’t agree with that got under your skin enough that you’re writing him off? And, yet you’re still angry the band fired him?
I'm not writing him off at all, just not joining him at political events and, yes, I do think the band treated him like sh!t.

None of them are getting any younger, witness Danny Kirwan's passing, so I'd hoped they could have gone out with more class.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i think this is partly a result of him currently not having any management, apparently. all these gigs are set by Cameron Crowe, who is his friend.
Is there any actual proof he doesn't have management anymore? I mean it would make sense but everyone keeps saying that and as far as I know there's no factual evidence to believe so.
He might just be doing it for his friend and because it's something he supports. He played with Tim Kaine during the election as well.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love it.
Love that he's supporting a cause like this.
And it's extra funny to see certain people get their feathers ruffled over it
Old 06-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still waiting for Lindsey to give his side of the story. The longer it takes him to do so, the more it looks like the band's account of events is fairly accurate.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Still waiting for Lindsey to give his side of the story. The longer it takes him to do so, the more it looks like the band's account of events is fairly accurate.
Lindsey doesn't issue formal press statements. Like ever. When he left after Tango his statement basically just said "yes I have left". It took years to hear about what had actually gone down during that time and why he left. And that was only through interviews and documentaries done MUCH later.
Until he starts a press cycle for whatever he does next, he's probably not going to be talking about it much. His comments at that recent event were very brief and basically just addressing the elephant in the room.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Lindsey doesn't issue formal press statements. Like ever. When he left after Tango his statement basically just said "yes I have left". It took years to hear about what had actually gone down during that time and why he left. And that was only through interviews and documentaries done MUCH later.
Until he starts a press cycle for whatever he does next, he's probably not going to be talking about it much. His comments at that recent event were very brief and basically just addressing the elephant in the room.
That's obviously his choice.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
That's obviously his choice.
Or not, depending on any legal restrictions which may be associated with the band's actions.