User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I actually liked it. Deeper voice and the harmonies are a little different than usual.

What I really like is the album cover. I like the colors, font and photo and how it all ties into the 24k album. It’s a quality album cover.
She couldn't pull Gypsy off live almost 40 years ago so why on earth would she be able to now? The song was a product of studio wizardy. This new version is monotone and droning .

Old 09-18-2020, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
She couldn't pull Gypsy off live almost 40 years ago so why on earth would she be able to now? The song was a product of studio wizardy. This new version is monotone and droning .
She's never done it well. Back when the Mirage video came out, we made fun of it even then(when I was a huge Stevie fan). She did that entire first line in a horrible monotone.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
She's never done it well. Back when the Mirage video came out, we made fun of it even then(when I was a huge Stevie fan). She did that entire first line in a horrible monotone.
And it fit the song perfectly. Gypsy builds and explodes with one of the best bridge vocals of any song ever and then goes back down. It fits with the music perfectly. She lets the music shine and back her with a nice balance. Her not over singing in the verse part really works with the song musically and makes the bridge that much more powerful.

A Mariah Carey version of the song would not have worked

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-18-2020 at 02:54 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know the album was sweetened a lot in post-production, but I always thought the Dance version of Gypsy was pretty sublime. It's def gotten worse over time since then.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
And it fit the song perfectly. Gypsy builds and explodes with one of the best bridge vocals of any song ever and then goes back down. It fits with the music perfectly. She lets the music shine and back her with a nice balance. Her not over singing in the verse part really works with the song musically and makes the bridge that much more powerful.

A Mariah Carey version of the song would not have worked
I'm sure that's the sound Lindsey, Richard and Ken were going for...."Hey Stevie, don't over sing this. Stick to a one note range for the verses."
Old 09-18-2020, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sure that's the sound Lindsey, Richard and Ken were going for...."Hey Stevie, don't over sing this. Stick to a one note range for the verses."
Gypsy is not my all time favorite FM song but I definitely like it alot. Its what I would say is the perfect song IMHO. The intro, the beat, the music, the melody, the lyrics, the bridge, the guitar ending and even the crazy overdubs. It all jells together (mostly because of Lindsey) and I think the song is also perfect vocally. Would not change a thing......well maybe a little chop sticks here and there
Did you know that in real life Gypsy was also a Silver Girl living in a high tech world?
Little known fact just to pass on.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-18-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The punched up audience applause in parts is super obvious and annoying.

Better than I expected overall, but I'm sure this has been fine-tuned (literally) in post-production for weeks.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Did you know that in real life Gypsy was also a Silver Girl living in a high tech world?
That really is one of the worst songs in the history of music.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
The punched up audience applause in parts is super obvious and annoying.

Better than I expected overall, but I'm sure this has been fine-tuned (literally) in post-production for weeks.
I never realized(back then) why they rarely show the guitar solos up close...

It's because they're nearly all going to be overdubbed, and the fingers won't match what you're hearing!
Old 09-18-2020, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like this new recording of Gypsy, but I think this will always be the best live version:

https://youtu.be/m5HeRgOVOMw
Old 09-18-2020, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothegypsy View Post
I like this new recording of Gypsy, but I think this will always be the best live version:

https://youtu.be/m5HeRgOVOMw
I agree. I'm not real crazy about the 24 Karat live version. It seems overly glossy and when she sings "Hey Baby" you hear the crowd cheering. It is annoying.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 09-18-2020, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, the 2000 Phoenix Gypsy with Lindsey is the best version.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 09-18-2020, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I am probably in the minority but I always liked the Mirage country feel of Gypsy live especially with Christine and Lindsey on backing vocals.

I saw the 25K Gold tour and it was good. This live CD does peak my interest. She did some good songs. I dont care for the watered down SDMHA and while I LOVE a good rocking live Edge of 17, Stevie dropped her best written verse which is the last verse of Edge of 17. However the song has 10 more minutes of doves crying which is probably the oddest decision of her career. I understand she wanted to shorten the live version but cutting the best verse is sacrilegious IMHO. The live versions of Gold N Braid and a rocking If Anyone Falls are pretty good too. Crying in the Night rocks live too.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-19-2020 at 05:20 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Macfan4life;1260058]I know I am probably in the minority but I always liked the Mirage country feel of Gypsy live especially with Christine and Lindsey on backing vocals.

I remember how shocked I was when I saw this live version of Gypsy on the HBO Mirage broadcast back in 1982. It was then I realized there was a studio version and a live version of this band.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The second single is Crying in the Night. They have the time beside it in iTunes, which means it is going to be released.

I never saw this tour. However, I really liked the 24K Gold album and I notice she is singing a lot of songs from it. Plus, she has new versions of Moonlight and Wild Heart/Bella Donna on it. I also really like the cover. It’s a great live album cover. I also believe it will be her last solo album. I’ve decided to buy it although I’m still mad her. I’m starving for something Fleetwood Mac but without Lindsey I don’t consider them Fleetwood Mac anymore. They are over and it’s her and Mick’s fault.

Last edited by Jondalar; 09-18-2020 at 10:58 PM..