User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Anyone see Bird Box?
I thought it was pretty good. Very similar movie like The Happening many years ago.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Anyone see Bird Box?
I thought it was pretty good. Very similar movie like The Happening many years ago.
It’s not in theaters. I think it’s just on Netflix.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
It’s not in theaters. I think it’s just on Netflix.
Yes its only on Netflix but making a fortune. Over 50 million downloaded the movie which was an all time record. The buzz is all over the internet which will probably put the movie 75 million.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Anyone see Bird Box?
I really thought it was good. I'm not a fan of horror, but this was more thriller and suspense. Reminded me of "A Quiet Place," along those lines.

Made for some very interesting discussions around the dinner table with my young adult children who had some totally different takes on parts of the story.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
I really thought it was good. I'm not a fan of horror, but this was more thriller and suspense. Reminded me of "A Quiet Place," along those lines.

Made for some very interesting discussions around the dinner table with my young adult children who had some totally different takes on parts of the story.
Yes, it was a combination of A Quiet Place and The Happening.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

41. Ben is Back, grade B+ = this is a good movie about the impact of drug abuse on a family. Throughout the movie Julie Roberts has to stop her son played by Lucas Hedges from relapsing. If you want to see a good family drama go see youthis one. It will pull you in. Best performance by Julia Roberts ever.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

42. If Beale Street Could Talk, grade B+ = modern film noir, it’s about how black men go to jail unfairly and leave their woman knocked up and alone. It’s told in the guise of a love story. This movie had me until the very end. I didn’t find the ending of the movie satisfying or I would of given it a higher. Still, I really liked this movie.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Each to their own. I enjoyed this very much. I know what you mean when you refer to it being a 'Made for TV biopic', but I think that's largely down to some of the British tongue in cheek humour they've deliberately built into this movie. Perhaps it doesn't translate that well to American audiences. When I watched it here in the UK there was a big round of applause at the end. I think the issue is this isn't a film about Freddie Mercury...its a film about Queen. It's made by the remaining members and perhaps that serves to sanitize things a bit. It's in their interests to open up a new group of people to Queen's music and I think its a good film for people who don't really know them very well.
In terms of cinematography... I don't know what you were watching for the last 30 minutes. For me, that whole Live Aid section was incredible.
Yeah, Americans were never in love with Queen, so it's understandable they don't get the movie because they don't know very much about Queen, Freddie and the rest of the band. Just to think the "last scene was out of place" shows how little you know about their history.

After all the initial negative review from critics, the movie is still showing at some theaters after two months since its release and have already won some awards.

In addition, they have already sold out two MSG in one week (more then FM ) for their next American tour, so they indeed gained new fans after this film.

Live Aid was probably the biggest concert ever made. It was just not "some concert scene at the end of the film", like I read here. It still gives me chills, and they recreated it perfectly.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip; 01-06-2019 at 09:44 PM..
Old 01-07-2019, 02:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Yeah, Americans were never in love with Queen, so it's understandable they don't get the movie because they don't know very much about Queen, Freddie and the rest of the band. Just to think the "last scene was out of place" shows how little you know about their history.

After all the initial negative review from critics, the movie is still showing at some theaters after two months since its release and have already won some awards.

In addition, they have already sold out two MSG in one week (more then FM ) for their next American tour, so they indeed gained new fans after this film.

Live Aid was probably the biggest concert ever made. It was just not "some concert scene at the end of the film", like I read here. It still gives me chills, and they recreated it perfectly.
I love Queen. I just thought the movie wasn’t very good.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I love Queen. I just thought the movie wasn’t very good.
My post wasn't directed only at you. But Live Aid was a major event in music history, and Queen was an essential part of its success. Any Queen fan know that.
I think they recreated it perfectly. And people in the audience are actually Queen fans. So for any of us that scene is special and emotional. Because of what that event meant in Queen story and because we know all those people are not just actors but fans.

I don't know what some people that went to see the movie expected. Freddie dying? Every major moment of Queen's life was covered. Until Live Aid. Actually Freddie found out a couple of years later that he had AIDS. But of course it had to be part of the movie. There are inaccuracies, I agree, but you can't have everything.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 01-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So...Academy Awards? Unfortunately I've seen very few of the major contenders this year so its difficult for me to pass comment. I've heard Christian Bale is quite good in the Dick Cheney film and Olivia Coleman is good in The Favourite. Might they be strong contenders? I wouldn't rule out A Star Is Born picking up a small handful but I'm not sure it will sweep all the major categories.

I predicted a nomination for Rami Malek. I think the Oscars will be very different to the Globes but he must have a decent chance. Whatever people think about Bohemian Rhapsody I thought he did a great acting job in that role.

On another point- I thought they were going to introduce a new 'Popular movie' category. I've just read that's not going to happen. When did that idea get shelved? That must have passed me by.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the Oscars will be very different to the Globes
Of course they are. They put together drama and comedy in the same category for each actor and movie.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course they are. They put together drama and comedy in the same category for each actor and movie.
Oh yes. I just meant they are sometimes an indicator of which films will be successful at the Oscars. Sometimes they aren't a good indicator.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh yes. I just meant they are sometimes an indicator of which films will be successful at the Oscars. Sometimes they aren't a good indicator.
I think Rami Malek has a good chance. Better than Christian Bale, IMO.

But Vice has probably better chances than BoRap. Not in my opinion but the critics destroyed BoRap so that will probably have some influence on voters.

The rest of the winners will probably be pretty much the same as GG.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Rami Malek has a good chance. Better than Christian Bale, IMO.

But Vice has probably better chances than BoRap. Not in my opinion but the critics destroyed BoRap so that will probably have some influence on voters.

The rest of the winners will probably be pretty much the same as GG.
I don’t watch the Oscars or other Hollywood award shows.