User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Hmmm. Is it your birthday? Happy Birthday!!! I am so sorry if that's why, you're very giving in remembering others on their bd's. Yet, 'disappointed' might not be the right emotion, for a birthday. Ummm. December...Is this an anniversary? Of sobriety, which you once mentioned? Congrats?
Drats. What the ef is it?
He cleared it up, it's nothing like that. Don't worry.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Spaceman Came Travelling (Chris De Bleugh) then Mull of Kintyrne (Paul Mc-Can't-ney) followed by Saviours Day (Insert boring joke here) on the musical channel I'm watching now. My ears may be bleeding.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After a couple chilly nights I managed to make it down to Englewood Beach today while I was in that area. It was sunny and warmed up and there were people out in shorts and lounging around in chairs or walking the beach for shells. I sat there in mine watching boats out on the water thinking about how everyone up north including most my family have it so different as they look outside. I went there spur of the moment while out and didn't have my camera or I would've taken pics.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

After searching for a full decade, I finally tracked down the younger half-brother I was rumored to have. I was told by my Mother's Sister 10 years ago that my biological Dad fathered a child with another woman after he and my Mom divorced. But I never knew the boy's name, his mother's name, or anything. Yesterday, 1 day after the 15th anniversary of my biological Father's death, I found my half brother's birth records online. I then found him on Myspace and sent him a message explaining the whole deal, and am waiting to see if I hear back from him. Even if I don't, this is a 10 year mystery that I am so glad to have solved. It's nice to have a name and to see a face of someone who shares my same blood. It's like the most giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders .
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
After searching for a full decade, I finally tracked down the younger half-brother I was rumored to have. I was told by my Mother's Sister 10 years ago that my biological Dad fathered a child with another woman after he and my Mom divorced. But I never knew the boy's name, his mother's name, or anything. Yesterday, 1 day after the 15th anniversary of my biological Father's death, I found my half brother's birth records online. I then found him on Myspace and sent him a message explaining the whole deal, and am waiting to see if I hear back from him. Even if I don't, this is a 10 year mystery that I am so glad to have solved. It's nice to have a name and to see a face of someone who shares my same blood. It's like the most giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders .
Yep.

I was adopted at birth, and always told that my Mom knew no details of my birth parents. About 15 years ago, I was telling her that I'd like to know, if only for my medical history. I even told her that I had tried to investigate my birth records before, to no avail. She then asked me if I really wanted to know(WTF? I guess she had NO IDEA of the void that ~not knowing~ created in my life)?

Anyway, she came clean, and told me that I have a Mother, 2 brothers, and a sister, living 1000 miles away. I was on the phone with the mother, that night(after leaving Mom's, so it wouldn't hurt her). 3-4 weeks later, I was there, meeting them all. Surreal, to say the least. I still see the mother, 2-3 times a year, and occasionally see the siblings.

So yeah, I know how cathartic it is, to go through this.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Glad you sent it, and glad I was able to help
Old 12-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post

On a lighter note, I am slightly embarrassed to say that the "talk" I am giving today is only a (long) introduction! I am introducing a client of mine who is reading a (beautiful) poem she wrote. She is reading it in front of about 100 women who form an organization in our community- this organization raises a LOOOOOT of money for our non-profit agency and the luncheon is being held at one of my coommunity's most posh country clubs. I am nervous because I want to give my client a seriously awesome introduction. SHE is the one who is brave and bad-ass! I'm just her silly therapist.
I am sure you did just fine. I think it's easier to talk about someone else than oneself. Personal, sincere introductions are always the best.

Since we're on the topic of public speaking, thank the stars that this semester is (almost) over for me. I taught three sections of public speaking, with 25 students enrolled in each course. During the semester, one kid ran out in the middle of her speech in tears, another passed out in front of the class, and another was on the verge of a panic attack. NEVER again am I teaching 3 sections of this course in one semester!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I am sure you did just fine. I think it's easier to talk about someone else than oneself. Personal, sincere introductions are always the best.

Since we're on the topic of public speaking, thank the stars that this semester is (almost) over for me. I taught three sections of public speaking, with 25 students enrolled in each course. During the semester, one kid ran out in the middle of her speech in tears, another passed out in front of the class, and another was on the verge of a panic attack. NEVER again am I teaching 3 sections of this course in one semester!
*Blush* I did that during my last seminar, I was that panic stricken. Talking in front of people en masse is one of my biggest fears. I'm trying to get over it by not thinking so much about what I have to say before I actually start the seminar, but it's still horrible.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My client received a standing ovation. It was SO powerful and so healing for her.

The adoption stories above really remind me how glad I am that I am in an open adoption. My daughter will never grow up wondering.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
*Blush* I did that during my last seminar, I was that panic stricken. Talking in front of people en masse is one of my biggest fears. I'm trying to get over it by not thinking so much about what I have to say before I actually start the seminar, but it's still horrible.
Most people (around 80%) have some apprehension about public speaking. I try to really encourage good preparation and rehearsal; we try deep breathing, etc. I firmly believe that everyone can become a competent speaker. A great orator- perhaps not, but effective.

One thing that is particularly alarming to me is the number of communication majors who hate public speaking. WTF?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is great to hear! I have a younger half-brother but my dad isn't part of my life and so I've never met him. I didn't meet my dad until I was 7, then he stayed in my life for a few months before giving up and I haven't seen him since. He still talks to my mum on Facebook, asked her about my exam results this year but didn't ask if I wanted to meet my brother
Old 12-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A girl I went to high school with was in a major car crash last weekend. She was hit by three different cars. After the first car hit, she was only mildly injured but stuck in the middle of the freeway with both of her car doors collapsed. She was trying to get out when the other two hit her. Everyone else was virtually unharmed, yet Caroline suffered severe head trauma and has been in a coma for a week now with no signs of progress. She's had three different surgeries to reduce the swelling in her brain but it's not looking good. She is one of the top water polo players in Northern California and was getting recruited for colleges before the accident. At this point, no one knows what she'll be like if she makes it out of the coma....

It's just so incredibly sad. This is the first time I've ever known someone in a physically critical condition. My high school is overflowing with support-- twice daily prayer services, counselors working overtime to help students struggling with it. It feels so wrong for me to be away from St. Francis right now-- the school has such a strong and supportive community and I feel like I should be there during such a devastating time.

Keep Caroline Hansen in your prayers.

http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula...nclick_check=1
Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, remember the axe-murder (literally.... a murderer with an axe) that killed a man two blocks from my school a few weeks ago? Well, looks like he killed another guy only 24 HOURS before. With the same freakin' hatchet. Yaaaaaaay Capitol Hill....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...illing01m.html

Last edited by daniellaaarisen; 12-05-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Parental arguements
Old 12-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Last night I learned that MacShadowsBall is really a MAN!!!!!