Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2002, 02:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Two little ankle-biters running around, wreaking havoc, spilling milk over his 40-track??

I'd have angst!! Lots of it!!
I think Joe just hit upon the reason Lindsey hasnt released his album!

Instead of a full-length album, titled 'Gift Of Screws,' it'll be a one-track single, called 'Crying Over Spilled Milk'

Seriously, about Lindsey's rendition of "Here Comes The Sun"... I actually quite enjoyed it.
I loved that it wasn't a paint-by-numbers cover of the Beatles' original, and I thought it was very much in keeping with the overall tone of Lindsey's work... which is the way a cover should be.
I've always felt that an artist should put their own stamp on a song that they're covering. So we can see it interpreted thru *their* eyes... not just a pale imitation of what's already been done.

Though I could also see why the network had hesitations about the performance.... as they were probably afraid it would come off as damn-near sacreligious.

Anyway, my mom, who's about as big of a Beatles fan as they come, loved it... and she's been listening to "Here Comes The Sun" since the day the 'Abbey Road' was released.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-13-2002, 11:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

I tend to agree with ChiliD's comments on the angst, etc. The tortured artist schtick is old. As i mentioned in another thread earlier, he "borrowed" that from Brian Wilson.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:39 PM
Ledgie

Angry And another thing!

Ol' LB better shape up regarding the kids, if he is, indeed, still bedevilled (is that the way it's spelled?). Of course, we don't KNOW that he is, but it's such fun to pretend.

The last damned thing women as a gender need is another Whiney-Lindsey-Boy in the person of Billy. I certainly hope things in the Buckingham home have brightened up with the birth of the kids; geez, what a bummer to think that their dad insists upon being morose and tortured. Poopy pants are torture enough for ANYone; Lindsey's got kids to raise and he'd better slap a smile on that cute face or the kids are going to figure that their dad's heading toward being a bitter old man.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Lindsey's BTM...

I have NEVER met the man (But 'twould be a dream to...) and I've only seen him in interviews and on his BTM on VH1, but to me, he doesn't seem tortured and morose (anymore), the way he was playing with the kiddos at the pool and those cute pictures of William with the headphones on and in the studio with daddy was too cute. (And I'm not a "kid" person)

I don't think ANY of us can honestly and truly say that he IS or ISN'T tortured or morose because we don't live with him. He is a "hermit" (like me. LOL) and I can see why he loves to get his way and do things a certain way, so do I....so do we ALL....he's just a man...a musician...a human being. DUR. LOL
Old 09-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have to say I never thought of Lindsey as angst-ridden or tortured either, let alone trying to affect that. I mean, what are going off of to get to that conclusion? His unappreciated artistic weirdness? Yeah, he had some friction, but I think that was just frustration at people always getting in the way of, what I'm guessing, was his clear artistic vision. Not him wrestling with any personal demons. Then there's the stories of various "anger issues" our dear Lindsey has been reported to have. But hell, is anger and violence angst? I mean, we're not going to label Motley Crue as angst-ridden are we? I can even see people thinking he's cocky! But I'm still not at angst. To me angst is Kurt Cobain. Even Brian Wilson is a little grey for me in this area because I was under the impression that he actually had a diagnosed mental condition. That ain't angst, that's chemical.

I just keep thinking about when I saw him for the OOTC tour. I too saw him in a very small venue and was right up front. At one point he said something about not having been on tour in a while and the audience started yelling, "Yeah it's been too long," and stuff like that. When the audence wouldn't stop he finally stepped back from the microphone and looked at the other guitar players, seemingly at a loss. He seemed genuinely surprised, even embarassed, that he had fans that WANTED to hear him play solo. He finally hushed us and came back to the microphone and said something like he wouldn't let it happen again. No angst here!

Oh, and I DID get backstage to meet him. He was very nice and very cordial, had no problem signing a couple of autographs and even complimented my friend on his t-shirt (A Misfits t-shirt! Who'd a thought!).

The whole angst thing never even ocurred to me until I saw these recent threads on it.

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 09-13-2002, 09:54 PM

Jeffles, how can I put this politely? You are wrong, wrong, wrong. Don't tell me the man doesn't have a personality of his own, as you have implied. Don't tell me that he's just a carbon copy of Brian Wilson, as you have implied. Come on, man. If he's so unoriginal, what exactly do you find appealing about the man?

Wondergirl, if you don't think he's still a tortured soul, listen to his lyrics from the GOS tracks. Don't get me wrong; you do make some lucid points about how do we really know? But I'm going by the lyrics. That's my evidence.

Carole Ann, as usual, your perspective is very much appreciated by old Carne, though the image of poopies was not terribly appealing.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I am joining this late, but like I said in the other thread, I think there is somewhat of an undercurrent there, and I am basing it on lyrics as well.
Why all the longing and regret still?
Old 09-13-2002, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool Well said Sugar...

I have seen the PBS special of him with his backupers (LOL) and he is having a BLAST up there BUT he also looks as if he's having a BLAST when he's up there with FM too. Jammin' with ol' Mick N' John N' Christine (sigh... )

I mean, his lyrics to lots of his songs are very dark, yes, but I've written some things that you guys would read and go, "OMG, she's got issues, or she needs help!!" but, it was a moment in my life where I needed to GET IT OUT and LET OFF STEAM (like Eminem) so that I could GET ON WITH LIFE. Like Lindsey, I write sometimes to vent frustration and he and I seem to be more adept at writing our feelings down rather than speaking them....JMO.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:21 PM

Wondergirl and Sugar, your intepretation of what constitutes angst may differ from mine. I accept that, though I have the dictionary to back me up. But I don't buy that Lindsey's angst is an act. It simply isn't. He is one of the most honest-to-goodness genuine artists out there. I saw him on the OOTC tour, and I know what you mean about his humility. Yet he's a cocky son of a gun too. Guess what, folks? People are complex. One of the reasons The Sopranos has gotten so much acclaim is because its characters are complicated, multidimensional people. As are most real people, some more than others.

I have to keep going back to the lyrics. Read Hemingway, and tell me there wasn't a tortured soul. Read Leaving Las Vegas (the book, not the song). I too have written plenty, and some of it is so dark I don't know where it comes from (scaring Mrs. Carne occasionally). But I know it's me and there's darkness there. Then some other stuff is so light and silly, and that just shows the playful side of Carne. I guess I too am a complicated soul. As I'm sure most of you, if not all, are.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Yeah, what she said!

OK, there's some darkness going on, I never said Lindsey was perky! He's sardonic, reflective, I even see a bit of social commentary going on, but I'm just not at tortured! In fact I see a fair amount of optimism in GOS!

There's something to be said for separating the art from the man as well. I mean, if Leonard Cohen was half as depressed as he sounds in his songs, he'd a been dead after the first album!

Maybe it's time for some GOS lyric threads! Is Lindsey doomed to eternal anguish or has he "come in out of the darkness"?

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 09-13-2002, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Carne...

I do NOT see his "dark side" as an act at all!! You are CORRECTAMUNDO in saying we are ALL complex and have various dimensions to our personality. We show some of them, but others, we keep to ourselves to either "save face" or keep a part of us for...well...us. It's just that saying someone is a "tortured soul" TO ME makes them seem "above" regular people (why I think that, I have no clue), it's wierd, I can't explain why. I just see him as a dude who loves music, likes to write and is complicated like EVERYONE else on this planet. Sometimes, we all try to be so simplistic...but life is not that simple...too many gray areas to deal with, too many questions unanswered...

Okay, getting too deep here!! LMAO!!!
Old 09-23-2002, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’ve never considered that Lindsey was playing “schtick” or affecting a personality type. Dangerous ground on these boards, I know, but I grant him more dignity and respect than that. He is who he is. He identified with Brian, I think, because he saw someone who struggled to be and do something other than what the people around him wanted him to be and do. He identified with Brian's music certainly, but then arguably even more strongly with Brian because he saw someone “aspiring to be an individual” under great pressure to conform.

What leads one to be introspective, analytical, reflective to a greater degree than another? Who knows? Mightn’t it just be something in his makeup..in his personality…? A strong need from within that began very early and that he’s tried (and sometimes struggled) to understand? (I actually think several of his songs focus on that very issue.) Afterall, what leads a six year old boy to become so enamored of a musical instrument that he’d forego the more usual six year old’s activities to sit in his big brother’s room and obsessively learn to play the guitar all by himself? We, by no means, have any real grasp at all on the things that have gone into making him the kind of person that he is. But not having it spelled out for me in an episode of Oprah doesn’t diminish the strength of what I hear coming through in the music. In some ways, it may even add to it.

For my buck, life is essentially a process of searching for the things that mean something to you. Finding the gem here and the gem there, amongst the many falsely glittering objects, balances out the journey and gives you a certain base to hold fast to. But it doesn’t necessarily diminish the desire to continue to search as your life evolves and you find meaning in different areas. Perhaps some people just feel that search more intensely and aren't disuaded from pursuing it because of how "angsty" it might appear to others.

That being said, Lindsey’s far too often pigeon-holed as one thing and never allowed to be anything else. But he is, like all of us, so much else. Being on these boards…any boards with a narrow scope of focus, has the tendency to de-personalize the individuals in this band some times. Analysis of somebody’s every quirk, twitch and blink starts to make them less human and more character. Less some one to consider, more some thing to be judged and dismantled and put in the role we want them to play. But he is, as has been stated before, the same kind of multidimensional person that we all are. Lindsey’s clearly got a very conflicted side. He’s also got a pretty goofy and optimistic side. As the man himself says, “nobody falls into a simple set of labels.”

Interesting topic...
Old 09-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Les... I haven't read anything here in a very long time (if ever) that gave me the desire to stand up and applaud, but you definitely provoked that feeling with your post.

You managed to very eloquently say all of the things I would have never been able to articulate.

Each member of Fleetwood Mac is a very real human-being... with millions of facets to their personalities. Some flattering, some not so flattering.
(Just like the rest of us!)

Sometimes it is way too easy to pigeon-hole them. We're discussing their songs, their personalities, their images... basically disecting them, for all intents and purposes... but we're never going to really put a finger on what it is about them that makes them so fascinating.
At the end of the day, we just have to concede that it's because they're human.

And yes, there are some folks who prefer to focus on the positive aspects of these individuals... and some who seem preoccupied with all the negatives.
But hopefully the majority of people see them as well-rounded human beings, who are more than just the sum of their personality traits.

Thanks for that post, Les.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-24-2002, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Thanks Les!!

Les, you have captured what I wanted to say in my last post there PERFECTLY and more eloquently, I may say. These 5 people are humans, they make mistakes, we analyze them like they are on the slab on the TV show CSI!! LOL Looking in EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY for an explanation of who, what, where, when, why and how. We should just listen to the music, interpret it in our own ways, apply it to our own lives and most of all..ENJOY IT!!!!
Old 09-24-2002, 09:35 PM

What can I say, Les, I too bow to you after such an honest and wise analysis. And this means I agree with Johnny. Which of course means no one is perfect. Even ole Carne.