User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Wasn't Ken quoted as saying he didn't like the final mix on ITM?

Gail
Yes, he did say that. Also, she almost never mentioned Ken in those ITM interviews. She always said that ITM was really her & her nephew.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder what Ken didn't like about the production. Did he say anywhere? I personally wish there was more of an emphasis on Christine's keyboards/piano on the album. Although I think it sounds fine the way it is, I think they missed an opportunity to showcase her playing. For instance I'd love to hear "Calumny" accompanied by grand piano.

If Chris and Dan rejected some or all of Ken's ideas for the album, I can understand why he might be holding a (little tiny) grudge. I haven't been reading his thread on the other board but it doesn't sound like he has any huge animosity toward her.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
If Chris and Dan rejected some or all of Ken's ideas for the album, I can understand why he might be holding a (little tiny) grudge. I haven't been reading his thread on the other board but it doesn't sound like he has any huge animosity toward her.

If she didn't like his ideas then you can undestand why he might be a bit miffed especially as she probably wasn't overly gentle in the way she told him

"Ken, that's a f**kin stupid idea"

Gail
Old 07-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had no idea Ken was unhappy with the final mix of the record. I have no idea why. It's clear, clean, and prominently features her voice. Maybe she called in Ken thinking she'd need him only to discover she didn't.

Wow. Drama!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I stand corrected. When you're wrong, you're wrong.

Christine appearing in blackface was HILARIOUS! What a way to send up those silent films and make everyone laugh! I dooooo believe that was pure genius, Massuh!
Now see there Luke... your sarcasm made me laugh... this debate is like chasing your tail... and catching it!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes, Christine has said things about "lezzies" and "poofters" in a few places--the former in a People magazine article from 1976!

Bob Welch has said she was downright sarcastic and that this could be quite funny and amusing--if you were on the right side of it. But remember too that Bob Weston felt she, as well as the other Brits in the band, had become "impossible" with their newfound success. I imagine Christine calmed down once she stopped using cocaine and once the mega-success of the band had run its course (around 1988). Most of her sidemen insist she is great to work with and very down to earth.

I interpret her caustic, even rude comments as a manifestation of some insecurity--of which I suspect she has many. But then I don't know her personally, so who knows? She once complained that she worked with "bitchy" people in that department store before Stan Webb rescued her. Perhaps she was projecting? Perhaps she has always been one of those "bitchy" people herself?

Oh, and she is NOT one to talk about bad fashion choices.
I don't know about her fashion sense, but someone needs to tell her that her fried hair in 1976 (see Midnight Special) was pretty fûcking stupid.

Is that article the one where she said something about being weirded out by female fans? There was one where she said she found it weird that she had all of these "female groupies" lining up for her, but "not sexually - thank god!"

Chris didn't do much cocaine though, did she? I always thought she was more about pot and alcohol.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
I don't know about her fashion sense, but someone needs to tell her that her fried hair in 1976 (see Midnight Special) was pretty fûcking stupid.

Is that article the one where she said something about being weirded out by female fans? There was one where she said she found it weird that she had all of these "female groupies" lining up for her, but "not sexually - thank god!"

Chris didn't do much cocaine though, did she? I always thought she was more about pot and alcohol.
Are you kidding. She has self admitted a hole in her nose from cocaine abuse. She was a drug addict...though not as bad off as Stevie Nicks who went into rehab. Christine was able to quit on her own, as far as I know.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Are you kidding. She has self admitted a hole in her nose from cocaine abuse. She was a drug addict...though not as bad off as Stevie Nicks who went into rehab. Christine was able to quit on her own, as far as I know.
Oh ****, you're right. My FM knowledge bank ain't what it used to be.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Huh. I thought it was just Stevie that had a hole in her nose.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The were a bunch of walking noseholes.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I was earnestly asking for people's opinions about specific times that Christine was obviously bombed or whatever.
Okay, I *KNOW* you've seen the Tusk Documentary. She was completely blitzed during the entire thing. I just LOOOVE the scene where she was playing Never Make Me Cry, was completely hammered, and kept rambling about how she respected the "other musicians" .
Old 07-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny that with smoking and nose holes, Christine's voice hasn't deteriorated over the years. It was deeper on ITM, but I didn't get the impression that she's lost range.

Of course, some of you musicians would notice her singing in a lower key than she normally would have and things like that. It wouldn't be apparent to me.

I just thought her voice was full, pure, rich. I didn't think she was straining or cracking at all. And she sounded good for The Dance too. Michele
Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Funny that with smoking and nose holes, Christine's voice hasn't deteriorated over the years. It was deeper on ITM, but I didn't get the impression that she's lost range.

Of course, some of you musicians would notice her singing in a lower key than she normally would have and things like that. It wouldn't be apparent to me.

I just thought her voice was full, pure, rich. I didn't think she was straining or cracking at all. And she sounded good for The Dance too. Michele
The only thing I noticed was a slight strain on the top end... but again.. I wonder if she put that in on purpose for songs like Calumny.. (where it might call for anguish)...

On the graph of her range... her voice to my ears has gone up instead of down over the lifespan... listen to "Lonely without you BabY" to Everywhere.....

Her voice is brighter and higher...

I thought on the Dance she was scraping the top end of her range on Songs like Songbird.... but overall I think she's solid...
Old 07-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
The were a bunch of walking noseholes.
"It has taken 10 years for everyone to get back on speaking terms. After the band split in 1987, its members pursued solo careers, until last summer, when a three Million-selling reunion album, The Dance, was followed by a sold-out US tour. The album won them three Grammy nominations, including Best Pop LP; the winners will be announced on February 25. All were in fine fettle on the tour, helped, Nicks says in her California-by-way-of-Phoenix whisper, by the fact that they are drug-free now. She hasn't touched anything for 12 years, since her doctor explained to her the damage a million dollars'worth of coke had done after daily ingestion for 15 years. 'Here, give me your pen." She leans over and makes a little sketch of two noses. "That's the hole in Chris's nose and that's the hole in my nose The first is a tiny dot, the other the size of a 10p piece. "You could put a big gold ring through my septum. It affects my eyes, my sinuses. It was a lot of fun for a long time, because we didn't know it was bad. But eventually it gets hold of you and all you can think about is where your next line is coming from." One 28-day stay in rehab in 1985 was sufficient to straighten her out. She was so "horrified" by the body search she was forced to undergo when she arrived at the Betty Ford Clinic that she resolved on the spot never to do coke again."

Stevie Nicks interview in The Guardian newspaper, 1998.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Okay, I *KNOW* you've seen the Tusk Documentary. She was completely blitzed during the entire thing. I just LOOOVE the scene where she was playing Never Make Me Cry, was completely hammered, and kept rambling about how she respected the "other musicians" .
"I respect his opinion, even if he's wrong!"

The part that cracks me up is her at the piano, singing completely off key. "woooaaah ooohh oohhh!"