Old 10-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Milwaukee BuckVie

This is the last show for me
Old 11-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Riverside Milwaukee 10/31 show review

https://marquettewire.org/3980050/ra...ds-of-the-70s/

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie electrify Riverside Theater with sounds of the ’70s

Helen Dudley, Photography • November 3, 2017
Christine McVie (left) and Lindsey Buckingham (right) on stage in Milwaukee. Photo by Helen Dudley

Members of the infamous drama-infused rock-and-roll band of the 1970s Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie temporarily branched off from the band to produce a rock-and-roll album of their own, “Buckingham McVie.”

After returning to Fleetwood Mac following a whopping 15-year leave, McVie proposed new material to her fellow bandmate that instantly sparked musical chemistry and was regarded by Buckingham as “stronger than ever.” The two immediately began composing and recording once McVie rejoined the band. After Fleetwood Mac completed another world tour, the duo pursued a tour of their own. Meanwhile, frontwoman Stevie Nicks also diverged from the band for her own 24 Karat Gold solo tour.

Making an appearance on Halloween at the Riverside Theater was quite strange considering Fleetwood Mac typically sells out arenas on their tours. Nonetheless, the experience proved to be much more intimate and crowd-involved as both Buckingham and McVie interacted with the audience during their performance and provided a generous amount of band and solo music history in multiple detailed monologues.

Their new self-titled album was released in June 2017 and was an obviously huge hit, as it did not take long for the crowd to ease into a sound that closely resembled Fleetwood Mac’s pop-rock genre. They did, however, seem to venture out in their new tracks with unique and atypical percussion series and guitar riffs which made the new content all the more interesting. They chose a perfect balance of both new Buckingham McVie songs as well as Fleetwood Mac classics.
Slideshow • 3 Photos

Buckingham opened with a haunting acoustic rendition of his solo hit, “Trouble,” followed by a few new songs from Buckingham and McVie. The tribal-esque sound of the percussion in the track “Too Far Gone” made the audience both come alive and stand with mouths agape in awe as the drummer, Jimmy Paxson, shook the entire theater.

McVie swayed about the stage away from her normal position at the keyboard and sang to individual audience members. Meanwhile, Buckingham made a point of showing the crowd that age is but a number and that he can still shred his guitar just as well as he could in the ’70s. All eyes were especially fixed on his intricate finger-picking during the Fleetwood Mac hits “Never Going Back Again,” “You Make Loving Fun” and “Go Your Own Way.” And if that wasn’t enough, Buckingham electrified the venue with his prolonged guitar solo in “I’m So Afraid” that made one question how his fingers weren’t permanently intertwined with the strings. If one wasn’t familiar with his talent already, that solo alone guaranteed a newfound appreciation for it.

Not only can Buckingham and McVie still bring the heat, but their incredible performance of their new music convinced the audience that their music will never die. They seem to always generate new meaningful songs that continue to carry on Fleetwood Mac’s unique pop-rock sound while still experimenting with variations of additional instruments to create something different.

Though mostly an adult crowd, it was settling to notice some teenage faces that understood Buckingham and McVie’s contribution to rock and roll and their unique sound as a basis and inspiration to a full spectrum of modern artists.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-06-2017, 09:23 PM

Wow, what a review!! Thanks Elle!! Appreciate the post.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry I didn't post this sooner.
Short version: the concert was great--the audience didn't become great till halfway thru the show.

Long version: no change in the set list and they did Game of Pretend. Maybe nobody was sick yet. This was Halloween night and Christine was wearing spider jewelry on her jacket and had a pumpkin on her keyboard. A couple in the audience were dressed like vampires. I thought people would be a little more rowdy since it was Halloween but everyone sat and clapped till Tusk. A few of us kept popping up like prairie dogs during various songs but not enough to motivate a large portion of the audience. Lindsey was settling into his 1,000 yard stare when he saw the crowd was going to sit. There was a girl at the end of my row (4th) that I spoke to before the show. We kept looking at each other throughout the show like wtf! Even Too Far Gone didn't get them up. Finally when Tusk started to pick up she made her move. She ran up to the front and grabbed the vampires to dance. I yanked the girl next to me out of her seat and then finally more people got up. Yahoo!

Most everyone was sitting again when I'm So Afraid started. Not me, I turned around and motioned for people to get up. Not many takers till the song was almost over. I have a weird relationship with this song (I never change, I never will is totally me) and I always feel like I have to brace myself for Lindsey's solo. When I see people sitting during this song I want to scream you're going to be blown away, I promise! After the song Lindsey nodded at me and gave me a thumbs up! I had my sign out earlier but I don't think Chris or Lindsey saw it. I held it up at the end when they were lined up to take a bow. Lindsey saw it and pointed it out to Chris who looked directly at me and smiled.
They sounded great. Chris sounds stronger to me on the second leg of the tour. She goofed the lyrics a little during YMLF but no biggie. This show had a bittersweet feel for me--happy I saw them but sad cause this was my last show. When Thanksgiving rolls around I'll include this tour on my list of things to be thankful for.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are a few pics from the show
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04491.JPG (61.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04493.JPG (77.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04508.JPG (61.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04519.JPG (75.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Thanks for the review. I cant remember what city but I remember seeing a youtube show early in the tour that had the audience sit through I'm So Afraid even at the end..
Everyone should know that the band thrives off the audience's energy.
I remember during Christine's solo tour, during her last 3 songs the audience ran to the stage and was cheering. Every one in her band just smiled and really got into it.
Having said all that. When you open a concert with a 3 song acoustic set, its hard to get them standing.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know what you mean about the slow start of the show. Part of my problem was coming off the Indy show where the audience was super into it from start to finish.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Super pics and great review.

The crowd in Los Angeles was going crazy even during the acoustic set.

NGBA got a standing o.. .and the crowd never looked back. The energy at the LA show was phenomenal. I hope they come back as a duo again.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37 AM

I love your photos!!
Old 11-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks. The LA crowd sounds like the Indy crowd. I always enjoy myself but it's extra fun when everyone is revved up.