The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2023, 12:30 PM

That OMH is my fav, too. That sounds like a Rumours tour, also.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Now, how can we be sure Rhiannon was from Rumours tour? Did you find any reliable source, video, etc.?
  • Lindsey is playing a Les Paul.
  • Christine is playing a Hohner Pianet.

The cuts that are not from the 1979–80 tour are:
  1. Monday Morning
  2. Say You Love Me
  3. Dreams
  4. Over My Head
  5. Rhiannon
  6. Don’t Let Me Down Again
  7. Don’t Stop

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-18-2023, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
The CD book mentions Rhiannon - London. No dates are specified in any song.

But the Amazon and Wikipedia pages mention London 1980; actually Wikipedia says Rhiannon - 6/26/80, Wembley Arena, London. No source specified, I always try to find the original source cause Wikipedia is not always accurate.

On both web pages there is no mention of Rumours tour in any song. However Don't let me down agian says 10/17/75, Capitol Theater, Passaic in Wikipedia, but in Amazon it says Live 1980, Passaic, NJ, so obviously these pages are not completely reliable.

Now, how can we be sure Rhiannon was from Rumours tour? Did you find any reliable source, video, etc.?
Years of listening to bootlegs and recordings of so many concerts that I couldn’t keep count. The sound of the band, Stevie’s voice, they are dead giveaways that the recording is from 1977 and definitely not 1979-80.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Years of listening to bootlegs and recordings of so many concerts that I couldn’t keep count. The sound of the band, Stevie’s voice, they are dead giveaways that the recording is from 1977 and definitely not 1979-80.
Yes very true. A few months ago Jeremy had his panel discussing this album. Some on the panel kept saying "this sounds like Rumours tour" yet they were reading from the booklet. I wanted to chime in and say, you guys are right with what you are hearing...because IT IS the Rumours tour.
Stevie's background vocals on Over My Head are so early Stevie and so good.
Old 09-18-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes very true. A few months ago Jeremy had his panel discussing this album. Some on the panel kept saying "this sounds like Rumours tour" yet they were reading from the booklet. I wanted to chime in and say, you guys are right with what you are hearing...because IT IS the Rumours tour.
Stevie's background vocals on Over My Head are so early Stevie and so good.
It's crazy, but I have so many versions of both tours, I have to think about it.
However, the difference between Tusk Live and Mirage live is unmistakable.
Old 09-18-2023, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's crazy, but I have so many versions of both tours, I have to think about it.
However, the difference between Tusk Live and Mirage live is unmistakable.
Stevie’s voice starts to deteriorate later in the Rumours Tour and definitely in the 1978 shows. It’s very noticeable on Rhiannon from ‘76/early ‘77 compared to later in that tour.

Rhiannon from 1975-1982 really encapsulates for me what made Stevie such an interesting live performer. The band took a relatively polished and calm song on record and cranked it up to be a true tour de force on stage and Stevie just owned the F out of those 7-9 minutes every night. Even as the voice deteriorated, she still made the performance interesting (along with the entire band - they were on fire!).

What they’ve done with Rhiannon in the “modern” era (since 1997) is a joke in comparison. It’s a pathetic shell of its former self and neither Fleetwood Mac or her solo band have made it even remotely interesting for at least 20 years.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Stevie’s voice starts to deteriorate later in the Rumours Tour and definitely in the 1978 shows. It’s very noticeable on Rhiannon from ‘76/early ‘77 compared to later in that tour.

Rhiannon from 1975-1982 really encapsulates for me what made Stevie such an interesting live performer. The band took a relatively polished and calm song on record and cranked it up to be a true tour de force on stage and Stevie just owned the F out of those 7-9 minutes every night. Even as the voice deteriorated, she still made the performance interesting (along with the entire band - they were on fire!).

What they’ve done with Rhiannon in the “modern” era (since 1997) is a joke in comparison. It’s a pathetic shell of its former self and neither Fleetwood Mac or her solo band have made it even remotely interesting for at least 20 years.
Everything you said. I will add that I loved Christine's piano intro during the Dance. Also, can't forget Sisters of the Moon.

Gypsy will never ever be as good as studio.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Everything you said. I will add that I loved Christine's piano intro during the Dance. Also, can't forget Sisters of the Moon.

Gypsy will never ever be as good as studio.
Agree that Chris’s piano intro in 1997 was a nice touch and though Stevie’s solo band had done that many times before, I prefer the subtle Christine touch versus how it had been done beforehand. Sisters also cooked but I’d still put Rhiannon (especially those first few years) ahead of it - simply because I think it’s a better song. Though they gave Sisters basically the same treatment live with the solos and extended outro.

Gypsy is maybe one of their best studio works ever. It’s sublime. It will never compare in a live setting. Whereas songs like Rhiannon, Sisters, GYOW, The Chain, etc can, IMO, be preferable in a live setting, Gypsy is more like a typical Christine song - perfect in the studio and hard to improve upon live.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'd say it went lame by 1981...it was pretty lame on the Bella Donna tour....I mean, I really liked that she added in the piano intro with Roy Bittan to show more of how the song sounded as she wrote it, and then switched it into the version everyone knew. But it was no longer a rocking version ... it was a really sort of adult contemporary version. And it's been that way ever since.... just getting slower and slower with each decade.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its really all the same.

I will take the klonopin "will you take me with you" any day over the I dont change, you don't change
Yes Macfan4life, I prefer the "Will you take me with you?",
over the "I don't change, you don't change," versions of the song.
Old 09-19-2023, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
  • Lindsey is playing a Les Paul.
  • Christine is playing a Hohner Pianet.

The cuts that are not from the 1979–80 tour are:
  1. Monday Morning
  2. Say You Love Me
  3. Dreams
  4. Over My Head
  5. Rhiannon
  6. Don’t Let Me Down Again
  7. Don’t Stop
So, other than Oh Well, the more listenable songs.

Still trying to figure out how Over & Over, Not That Funny and Never Going Back Again ended up on that over Second Hand News, Tusk, and You Make Loving Fun and maybe a few other songs, like Songbird and I Know I’m Not Wrong. It’s a bit too much.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-19-2023, 04:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
Yes Macfan4life, I prefer the "Will you take me with you?",
over the "I don't change, you don't change," versions of the song.
YES!
One of the few klonopin era songs that was really good live. Her band rocked the hell out of Rhiannon.

I would hardly call her 1981 version lame (someone else said that). Roy's intro was beautiful and Waddy really created a rocking bouncer. It lost its power on her next tours but it still packed a punch. I feel after her solo version she did not know where to take the song in 1982. We got coke fueled speaking in tongues for Sisters but her talking and going through the motions at the end of Rhiannon "I dont change, you dont change" She did the same thing in 1987 for a rare early Tango tour version. But that's understandable since she was off coke. I love all Mirage concert songs except Rhiannon. Its slow and she seems to struggle and wonder through it. It should have been just as outrageous as her 1982 Sisters but it falls flat for me.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-19-2023 at 05:29 AM..
Old 09-19-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So, other than Oh Well, the more listenable songs.

Still trying to figure out how Over & Over, Not That Funny and Never Going Back Again ended up on that over Second Hand News, Tusk, and You Make Loving Fun and maybe a few other songs, like Songbird and I Know I’m Not Wrong. It’s a bit too much.
But, you love that Over and Over made it, no?
Old 09-19-2023, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember I read in 1997 Stevie had a voice therapist to recover her voice and be in good shape for The Dance shows. Well obviously "recover" didn't mean to get her 70s voice again, but I understood she would have a decent nice voice. And IMHO she did. I loved her performances of SS and Landslide.
Her voice was far better than... for example, that 1987 Silent Night performance that never listened again and it's forbidden in my personal playlists, Ipod, etc.

So, a Rhiannon song that sounded like the 70s was impossible in 1997. It wouldn't sound good, and probably her voice therapist told her Don't do that! Then the energic act we used to see in the 70s was gone too. So I found The Dance Rhiannon a fine performance, taking in count years had passed and she had take care of her voice.

Mick mentions the Rhiannon performances and Stevie's excessive abuse singing it several times, just picked two of them:

we took her friend Robin Anderson, a voice therapist, on the road with us to try to train Stevie to use her voice differently. But it was like trying to tame a wild thing. Every night, at the climactic end of "Rhiannon," Stevie would rip her voice to shreds. It was a sacrifice she chose to make for her art.

When Stevie's voice cracked dangerously during "Rhiannon," she turned to Lindsey and hid her face behind the microphone. Eight months of touring was beginning to take its toll on all of us.

Also in Dallas, Stevie took "Rhiannon" to its outermost limits, chanting "Is this what you want from me?" during the crashing finale of the song.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, you love that Over and Over made it, no?
I do. However if it ended up on that over SHN or YMLF, I thought it probably was for still promoting the Tusk album (it was 1980). However if that's right, I don't know how they didn't chose the Tusk song.