Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Best of Bob Welch

I've never been able to understand why Bob Welch's spectacular contributions to Fleetwood Mac are all too often overlooked and forgotten! The man a was an absolute genius and created well crafted songs!! It's beyond time that we express long overdue appreciation!!!

With that being said, what are your favorites?

I love these:
1. "Easy to Fall"
2. "Future Games"
3. "Hypnotized"
4. "Revelation"
5. "Bright Fire"
6. "Ebony Eyes"
7. "Sentimental Lady"
8. "Keep On Going"
9. "The City"
Old 10-15-2016, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
I've never been able to understand why Bob Welch's spectacular contributions to Fleetwood Mac are all too often overlooked and forgotten! The man a was an absolute genius and created well crafted songs!! It's beyond time that we express long overdue appreciation!!!

With that being said, what are your favorites?

I love these:
1. "Easy to Fall"
2. "Future Games"
3. "Hypnotized"
4. "Revelation"
5. "Bright Fire"
6. "Ebony Eyes"
7. "Sentimental Lady"
8. "Keep On Going"
9. "The City"

I agree with you I like your list and mine would be waaaay to long. What comes to mind as some of my favorites in addition to your list....

Emerald Eyes
Church
Bermuda Triangle
Silver Heels
Miles Away
Precious Love
The Ghost of Flight 401
Hot Love,Cold World
Don't Wait Too Long
Old 10-15-2016, 05:47 PM

Love so many Bob songs

Revelation
Future Games
Bare Trees
Did You Ever Love Me (McVie/Welch)
Bermuda Triangle
Sentimnetal Lady (both versions)
Born Enchanter (Christine plays some serious keys)
Emerald Eyes
For Your Love (Yardbirds/Graham Gouldman)
Angel (like it better than Stevie's.. but very close.. hmmm maybe a tie)
Ebony Eyes
Hypnotized
The City
Forever
Somebody
Keep On Going
Old 10-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Future games live in 1974 was out of this world. Loved the harmonizing with Bob and Chris.
The entire Bob Welch and friends concert was uploaded to youtube. I think its one of the best concerts ever recorded. I would chop off my left hand to rewind time to attend
Old 10-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Future games live in 1974 was out of this world. Loved the harmonizing with Bob and Chris.
The entire Bob Welch and friends concert was uploaded to youtube. I think its one of the best concerts ever recorded. I would chop off my left hand to rewind time to attend

I agree all of the above.....except chopping the left arm. I'm happy with my cd recordings of these shows.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not familiar with Bob Welch solo material aside from Ebony Eyes.
Bob Welch Fleetwood Mac top 10 in no particular order;

Lay it All Down
Sentimental Lady
Emerald Eyes
Hypnotized
Forever
Miles Away
Bermuda Triangle
She’s Changing Me
Silver Heels
Revelation

I'd have also included Keep On Going and Did You Ever Love Me but he doesn't take any of the vocals on the former and very little on the latter so I'm leaving them off.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I agree with you I like your list and mine would be waaaay to long. What comes to mind as some of my favorites in addition to your list....

Emerald Eyes
Church
Bermuda Triangle
Silver Heels
Miles Away
Precious Love
The Ghost of Flight 401
Hot Love,Cold World
Don't Wait Too Long
Actually, I was going to add the very same songs that you listed, but I didn't have enough time to do so.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:06 AM

Sounds: Bob Welch, Fleetwood Mac's unappreciated front man

Was there ever a time when Fleetwood Mac wasn't famous? Yes, there was, and the late Bob Welch could attest to it, because he was the one steering the band during those five wilderness years of the early 1970s.

But just because they were wilderness years — during which the Mac endured fluctuating membership, changes in musical approach, a serious lack of album sales and no hit singles — doesn't mean they weren't productive or worthwhile. And without them, fans would not still be enjoying the most successful incarnation of the band with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham.

Fleetwood Mac started out as a blues band led by guitar ace Peter Green. When the American Welch, born 71 years ago on July 31, 1946, joined, the British group was struggling after the departure of Green and then guitarist Jeremy Spencer. Christine McVie was not a full-fledged member of the band yet; she occasionally made contributions in support of her then-husband, John McVie. That left young guitar slinger Danny Kirwan ostensibly in charge, but he wasn't up to the challenge.

Enter the affable Welch, who filled in ably on second guitar and vocals, and would make significant songwriting contributions (23 songs) over the next five albums.

Arguably the greatest work from this period are "Bare Trees" (1972), the last album with Kirwan and featuring his most accomplished writing, and "Mystery to Me" (1973).

The former contains the original version of Welch's "Sentimental Lady," a failed single that achieved greater acclaim five years later when he rerecorded it as a solo artist, with help from his former Mac mates, and watched it rocket up the Billboard charts to No. 8.

The latter contains the greatest song from this middle period, Welch's atmospheric "Hypnotized," which was foolishly released as just the B side of the band's only single from the album, an underwhelming cover of the Yardbirds' "For Your Love." "Hypnotized's" memorable drum opening and fascinating lyric about UFOs have ensured that it continues to get airplay on classic radio.

After 1974's "Heroes Are Hard to Find," Welch was ready to move on, frustrated that the band had gained so little after so much toil and trouble. But he blessed his bandmates with one heck of a parting gift. He convinced Mick Fleetwood to relocate the group to Los Angeles to be closer to its record label, Warner Bros. In doing so, it allowed Fleetwood to fortuitously stumble upon the unknown and foundering act of Buckingham Nicks and invite the duo to join the Mac. It never would have happened without Welch.

Fleetwood Mac returned the favor by championing Welch's solo career, helping to manage him and playing on his records. Welch signed with Capitol Records and issued five solo albums between 1977 and 1983. Each did worse than the one before it, but the first two, "French Kiss" and "Three Hearts," reached the Top 20 in the Billboard album charts. In addition to "Sentimental Lady," "French Kiss" generated two other major singles in "Ebony Eyes" (No. 14) and "Hot Love, Cold World" (No. 31). Welch finally had achieved fame, doing it on his own.

Years later, Welch fell out of favor with the band when he filed a lawsuit over royalties. He eventually patched up his differences with Fleetwood, but not in time to earn him induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Welch accused Fleetwood of conspiring to keep him out, the only major band member to be excluded, and he may have been right. He deserved inclusion along with Green, Spencer and Kirwan.

Welch's career was spotty from the 1990s onward, and it didn't improve. Poor health sidelined him, and on June 7, 2012, he took his life with a gun at age 66 — gone, but definitely not forgotten.

http://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com...1c6b5abc4.html
Old 09-06-2017, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be easier to list the Bob Welch songs I DON'T like.

Here's the list:

And, on another point..."For Your Love" was basically Bob Weston's idea & arrangement...Welch just sang it. Wonder if we'll ever hear the original Mystery To Me version of "Good Things"??? The remake on "Three Hearts" was kind of underwhelming, but I still dug it.

Last edited by chiliD; 09-06-2017 at 02:55 AM..
Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Wonder if we'll ever hear the original Mystery To Me version of "Good Things"???
Bonus track on the remastered, re-issued 'Mystery To Me,' which unfortunately exists only in our dreams.

By the way, my first copy of the LP listed that song on the LP jacket in place of "For Your Love." For a really long time I wondered what that was about.

Last edited by nicepace; 09-06-2017 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: additional comment