The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2002, 09:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

As I mentioned earlier, i do like his version of Here Comes the Sun. But i didn't think it was appropriate for the setting. No, i don't think George Harrison is rolling in his grave over this though...If anything, he'd be rolling over the fact that he was the most overlooked member of the beatles.
I particularly like "Down on Rodeo" most, of all the new songs. Try for the sun is also great.
Of the older songs, I like Crystal. I think he is singing at his best on that song, though its not much of a guitar piece. Big Love, Go Insane, Never Going Back Again and (acoustic) Gypsy are my favorites. I also like Time Bomb Town a lot. Great underrated song!
Old 09-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, now, if Lindsey's so "quirky", let's hear him do a solo acoustic guitar version of "Revolution #9"...that's about how "out there" his version of "HCTS" was.

It's one thing to make a song "your own", but at least make sure the song is still recognizable as the song you're covering. Lindsey definitely crossed the line on this one.

By comparison, let's look at the four Rolling Stones tunes he covered during the GoS sessions...those are very close to being carbon copies of the original tune...or at least FAITHFUL to the original arrangement; enough that the songs were RECOGNIZABLE as being the songs. He can do that with the Stones, but f***s up a GEORGE HARRISON song on national TV??? Shameful, downright shameful.

Last edited by chiliD; 09-10-2002 at 11:22 AM..
Old 09-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Street_Dreamer
What many of us as fans of Lindsey's work appreciate the most is how "out of left field" he is as a musician. He's willing to try a technique totally different than what is considered to be the "norm" (ie: Tusk.) Right or wrong, bad or good, I support his decision because he's not doing it for the money, he's doing it to better himself as a musician. I personally thought that his version of HCTS was awesome.
BUT
Lindsey's best acoustic performance, to me is the Down On Rodeo demo. The song just has a certain emotional impact on me; the vocals, the guitar, the simplicity of it is just pure magic. I KNOW it has a "beat" to it but take that out and the song wouldn't change at all because the guitar carries the beat too.

Matt
Hey Matt...do you think I could get this sogn fro myou? Do you have it? If so contact me on AIM as Murrow86.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Just a note to Carne, Try For The Sun is one guitar. Have you head the instrumental demo for it? I wouldn't even call it a demo, it sounds like he's laying down the guitar track. He's most certainly picking away at it on one gutair.
-Brian

Last edited by bjk3047; 09-13-2002 at 07:15 PM..
Old 09-11-2002, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Brian...

THERE IS A DEMO VERSION to Try For The Sun?? And nobody told me??!!

Apart from that and the Down On Rodeo demo, do you know any other GOS demos (ie excluding Given Thing etc)??
Old 09-11-2002, 02:26 AM

Default Go Insane gets my vote

I think that Go Insane (Dance version) is the most moving of his accoustic performances. Surely it isn't the most technical or showy bit of Lindsay's work. But it is easily the most emotional (with the probable exception of Big Love).

I can listen to this over and over and find new ways to appreciate it. It's beautiful.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Go Insane gets my vote

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainman
I think that Go Insane (Dance version) is the most moving of his accoustic performances. Surely it isn't the most technical or showy bit of Lindsay's work. But it is easily the most emotional (with the probable exception of Big Love).

I can listen to this over and over and find new ways to appreciate it. It's beautiful.
Rainman!

PERFECTLY said! I don't think I've ever agreed more with a post on The Ledge! "Go Insane '97" is IMO the most emotional LB song ever, and is my fav. song of all time of any artist, full stop! (or "period" !! as you guys say over there!! )

Old 09-11-2002, 11:33 AM

Seteca,

Nice to see some agreement on this. I saw Lindsey do this same version live in the early 90s at a small club in Vancouver. He did Big Love and Go Insane back-to-back, and I was seated right up front, very close. It just blew everyone away. It's something I will never forget.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainman
Seteca,

Nice to see some agreement on this. I saw Lindsey do this same version live in the early 90s at a small club in Vancouver. He did Big Love and Go Insane back-to-back, and I was seated right up front, very close. It just blew everyone away. It's something I will never forget.
Wow!! To say I'm totally jealous would be an understatement! I can only imagine how awesome that would have been in such a small setting! I thought after the Dance I would never have the chance to see these songs performed again....but now the odds are looking good!!

(Is Big Love (Live) and Go Insane (Live) on the Greatest Hits album.....I BELIEVE SO!! Hehe!!)

Old 09-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffles
Seteca,
You've never heard the Beatles "Here Comes the Sun"? You should probably give it a listen and you'll see why there a plenty of people disappointed with LB's version. Its not that his version is aweful, it isn't. I don't dislike it at all, but it was hardly a tribute. I particularly like when an artist pays tribute to others by completely recreating the song, such as Matchbox 20 doing a whole new take on "Never Going Back Again". However, , when you pay tribute to someone who died, you do a faithful version and put aside your own agenda. LB's totally offbeat take on the song wasn't appropriate for that setting.
Well I listened to the original. The funny thing is that I first accidentally downloaded an acoustic live version of the song (it's the one where he says "well i'm gonna do an acoustic song now...if we can get these mics to work...") and obviously I realised that it was a live version as soon as I started listening but I decided to carry on listening anyway...and well...maybe I'm going crazy but I actually thought it wasn't exactly light years apart from Lindsey's version......sure they weren't exactly identical, but if I had heard this acoustic version first, and then heard LB's, I would definitely have associated them immediately as the same song.
Then I downloaded the original studio version, and..yes...very rarely do I really like a song on first-listen, but it's truly a beautiful song...I loved it immediately.
Here's how I would "rate" them....the original studio version is amazing....and is so much better that I'd say it's in a different league to both his own and LB's live acoustic versions....but...I do prefer LB's live acoustic over George Harrison's.
I think there is a high chance that LB's "interpretation" of HCTS was directly based on this live acoustic version that I heard (which would make good sense seeing as his was also to be a "one man and one guitar" job), and not the original studio version.

Last edited by seteca; 09-11-2002 at 03:58 PM..
Old 09-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Brian...

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
THERE IS A DEMO VERSION to Try For The Sun?? And nobody told me??!!

Apart from that and the Down On Rodeo demo, do you know any other GOS demos (ie excluding Given Thing etc)??
Yes, it's rather impressive, I can transfer it over to you if you have AIM, PM me.
I never really wanted to listen to any "demos" of GOS unless they were CD quality (which I did). So apart from the instrumental TFTS, the only other GOS rarities worth having are the studio version and "rough cut" version of My Little Demon, both CD quality.
-Brian
Old 09-12-2002, 09:15 AM

Wow, I didn't look at this thread for a couple of days, and look what I missed! I see my friend Carole Ann is back and Chili rode the coach back into town.

OK, a few thoughts:

Lest I forget, Down on Rodeo hardly qualifies as an acoustic song. If I had to guess, Lindsey is playing a Strat for the main guitar parts on that one. I can't wait to hear it on the new album. Mick should add some cool percussion to it. If you think about it, the song is actually quite similar to Bleed to Love Her.

Secondly, Chili and gang, I understand your dislike of Lindsey's Here Comes the Sun. I had the same kind of violent reaction to most of the stuff in the Rumours tribute. The "how dare he" indignation is well understood. However, Lindsey is hardly botching the song; he is merely giving it a very Lindsey interpretation, and I am pretty sure that George would have appreciated it. Furthermore, Richie Havens did a version of it that was just as urgent-sounding, if not more, the main difference being that Richie Havens strums and Lindsey picks. Do you hate the Havens version as much a you hate Lindsey's? For whatever reason, this shimmering song dripping with optimism strikes a chord of urgency and anguish in some interpreters. So what if they play it differently from George?

Lastly, Lindsey's interpretations of the Stones songs, though not quite as wild as Here Comes the Sun, are hardly faithful renditions, going back to Law and Order days. I don't believe he has done a faifthful rendition yet. Take Satisfied Mind and All My Sorrows. He actually changed chords and gave them considerably different arrangements from what the orginals were.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess we'll have to "agree to disagree". I "A-B"'d both Lindsey's versions and the Stones versions, they're not that different...only difference I could hear was 30+ years of technological improvements in production quality. Lindsey, to my ears, stays VERY close to the Stones' arrangements. And, that's what DID surprise me that he DID stay so close to the original arrangements.

Actually, I LIKE Richie Havens' version of "HCTS", a LOT. Maybe I could buy into Lindsey's "tortured artist" angst in the 70's & 80's, but, jeez, he's married with two kids, living a seemingly comfortable life, what's he "angst" about? It just seems that NOW his "angst" is phony..."angst for angst's sake"...it doesn't come off very genuine.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:08 AM

Chili, I'll have to go listen to the Stones' versions again.

As for the angst, hey, this guy is always going to have demons. That's jus the way he is.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Two little ankle-biters running around, wreaking havoc, spilling milk over his 40-track??

I'd have angst!! Lots of it!!

Lol.