The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2002, 02:46 PM

Lindsey, being pretty self-centered, was going to do Here Comes the Sun however he saw fit and no one could have changed his mind about that. His rendition of the song is certainly jarring for those of us used to hearing the sweet sounds of Harrison's original. Did Lindsey strike the appropriate tone or reach for the right emotion in his version? That certainly is debatable. But does his rendition stand on its own as a typically frantic and anguished Lindsey number? Certainly, and we have our friend Seteca to attest to that. I am not sure that Lindsey should have done the whole anguish thing on this song, but to call it an abomination is probably going too far.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, I think "abomination" is actually an understatement.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Ledgie

Cool My first thought upon hearing LB's HCTS...

...was, "What in the world did George ever do to Lindsey?" My God, what a mess that "rendition" was. George was, no doubt, flopping about in his grave, trying to get his fingers in his ears and going, "LALALALALALALALALALALA!"

LB should be ashamed of himself; that's no way to treat a song, especially a Beatles' song.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I thought it was sort of lovely that the reclusive member of one band would come out of his cave to play a song that meant something to him, created by a hero, the reclusive member of another band.

So you don't like the rendition, huh? Hey, fine. It's an entirely subjective opinion that lots share.

Course, some don't share it. Best thing he ever did? Nah. An abomination to the memory of George Harrison? Nah.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still rather transfixed by Red Rover & Say Goodbye as my favorite "acoustics" from the new stuff.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I agree with Les. Any Beatles fan might be appalled, but if the network execs chose 90s/2000s Lindsey, well, that's what they get. His playing is never a sell out these days. Some may say this 'integrity' has warped his musical sensibility to the other extreme (a'la' Tusk as areaction to Rumours)- trying carefully not to be too accessible.

So I stand by Lindsey that 'he is what he is', and that's what they got. Since when would George Harrison turn over in his grave when Lindsey is doing the best he can. If you pick Lindsey Buckingham, that's the tribute you can expect from him (if you know anythng about him post Rumours, which these NBC people seemingly didn't :s). Since when has Lindsey recently ever sold out to what people expect?

Christy - those are my exact words: My jaw dropped when I first heard Red Rover! That song is unreal.

But favourite acoustic (as opposed to live acoustic..?) goes to Try for the Sun. Maybe live acoustic is the GYOW from the Sports Bar set! Esepcially that croony vocal intro teaser!

Oh oh - are we forgetting the Down on Rodeo demo Sure it has some pathetic drum machine, but come on!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:34 PM
Ledgie

Default Well, now

Is this paltry collection of barbed, witty, terribly hurtful, yet suspiciously knee-jerk, responses directed at moi?
Old 09-09-2002, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Carol Ann

Please, I'm appalled!
But, now that you meation jerks....

j/k...couldn't resist!

Anyway, who's Moi??...I was talking to you Carol Ann!
LOL
Old 09-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Ledgie

Red face Snort

Here's a quarter.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Well...

I just do not understand why Lindsey's version of HCTS made people want to gag. I mean I can sit here and say, Elton John's version of "Don't Stop" was an abomination...but I won't. And, you may say, but that is different, they aren't dead, but it was still called a TRIBUTE album. Anywho...

Why should Lindsey do a "cookie-cutter" version of the song, he is NOT George Harrison, so he shouldn't do it like GEORGE would have. I thought it was fine, he sang it with emotion and played AMAZINGLY. JMO tho...if ya don't like it, that's cool.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What many of us as fans of Lindsey's work appreciate the most is how "out of left field" he is as a musician. He's willing to try a technique totally different than what is considered to be the "norm" (ie: Tusk.) Right or wrong, bad or good, I support his decision because he's not doing it for the money, he's doing it to better himself as a musician. I personally thought that his version of HCTS was awesome.
BUT
Lindsey's best acoustic performance, to me is the Down On Rodeo demo. The song just has a certain emotional impact on me; the vocals, the guitar, the simplicity of it is just pure magic. I KNOW it has a "beat" to it but take that out and the song wouldn't change at all because the guitar carries the beat too.

Matt

Last edited by Street_Dreamer; 09-09-2002 at 10:08 PM..
Old 09-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Ledgie

Talking Geez

I love the way Chili catches the first stage outta town just as this starts getting good. Wuss.

I hate HCtS; everybody else likes it. There you go.

I doubt seriously that any souls were released from (or sent to) purgatory just because opinions differ.

Do not infer, however, that I do not "understand" Lindsey's music; I have been a fan for longer than most of you have been alive.

It's just an opinion.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Carol Ann
I could tell from your two replies to me ("knee-jerk comments" and "have a quarter") that you consider yours a higher claim to Lindsey appreciation than mine.
Yes I'm 18 (actually 19 in a few weeks). Does that make my comments inferior, especially for that matter my appreciation of Lindsey and his music? Unless you're the Carol Ann of Go Insane fame, we're fans among fans, so the "I'm older than you" thing sounds pretty lame. The point is, I was never "inferring that you didn't understand Lindsey's music". Sorry if it could have been read that way.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Ledgie

I DID "read it that way;" thus my response that mine was just an opinion. My decidedly advanced age means nothing when it comes to what one likes and what one doesn't like.

Few here purport to be experts (whatever that is); if we can just hold the line at having an opinion, we may be able to straddle the fence of congeniality that passes for good sense around here.

Neither your age nor mine means a thing when it comes to whether we appreciate the way LB interprets a piece of music or not.

I repeat: You like it; I don't. There you go.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Agreed!
No problemo.