Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Young people today :)

I played Christine's "Friend" (youtube) to some young 'uns in their late teens/early twenties today. First, one of them correctly identified CMcV as a member of Fleetwood Mac. But then they immediately expressed a preference for PG era Fleetwood Mac, naming and singing along with the songs.

I'm sure none of these people were born when PG left the band!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

What a great thing that is..I wasnt born when greeny was in the mac and of course for me its the best period the band .
Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No "Oh Well"

VH-1 Classic just had their top 100 hard rock songs of all time show(s). "Oh Well" was not on the list, which I think is strange since so many bands/artists have covered the song.

I don't have any illusions that the PG era of the band matches the popularity of the Buckingham/Nicks era. I also know there are FM fans that enjoy all eras of the band.

However, I tend to think those that like the Green era are rock fans of that period (Stones, Beatles, Cream, Hendrix, Who, LZ), or strictly blues fans. The latter era fans prefer James Taylor, or lighter pop/rock music. In some way, I think that makes FM THE most unique rock/pop group ever. (Preaching to the choir over)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
VH-1 Classic just had their top 100 hard rock songs of all time show(s). "Oh Well" was not on the list, which I think is strange since so many bands/artists have covered the song.

I don't have any illusions that the PG era of the band matches the popularity of the Buckingham/Nicks era. I also know there are FM fans that enjoy all eras of the band.

However, I tend to think those that like the Green era are rock fans of that period (Stones, Beatles, Cream, Hendrix, Who, LZ), or strictly blues fans. The latter era fans prefer James Taylor, or lighter pop/rock music. In some way, I think that makes FM THE most unique rock/pop group ever. (Preaching to the choir over)
I couldnt agree more. I will fully admit to be more of a fan of post 1975 material but I VERY much enjoy the older stuff too. I wasnt even born when Pete left in 1970. But anyway, the great thing to me about Fleetwood Mac is just like you said, the variety of syles. Cant get anough of it.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Banned

I understand and appreciate the PG era and fully enjoy the "Perfect" days when Chris first joined. I wasn't born in either the BN gloryday, or the PG days, but I still appreciate what has been left for us... You have to know good music. You may not have to appreciate all of it, but you should still make an attempt, right?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ench View Post
[...]...then they immediately expressed a preference for PG era Fleetwood Mac, naming and singing along with the songs.

I'm sure none of these people were born when PG left the band!
That sound like good taste to me... :-)

/z
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 AM
slipkid
This message has been deleted by slipkid.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm one of those "in between" generation types, meaning I was born in '69 and have all my older siblings that are "baby boomers". I was raised on a variety of music and have a somewhat eclectic taste in what's in my collection (every FM cd from PG's FM to the most recent Live in Boston, every Willie Nelson cd from 1961 to today, the entire James Taylor collection, Clapton, BB King, Gipsy Kings, and the list could go on for days). That being said, I absolutely LOVE the PG era of FM, even though I was barely alive when Greeny left the band.

Like many others, I love the Buckingham/Nicks era as well, please don't get me wrong!! The heart and soul of this band however, lies in its blues roots with Greeny. From "Sugar Mama" and "Watch Out" to " Oh Well" (still one of my all-time favourite songs), "Green Manalishi" and "I Loved Another Woman", you get the full range of what this band has always been capable of. Peter, Jeremy, Danny, Mick and John laid a foundation that all other eras of the band have built on. "World Turning" (from what I've read) was based on Peter's "World Keeps On Turning". What a tribute!

Honestly, not to take anything away from Lindsey or Stevie, who's addition to the band help to skyrocket them to the place in Rock Royalty they are today, but one of the best, albeit too short lived eras of FM was the Rick Vito/Billy Burnette era. Those guys rocked, and brought the blues back to FM. You could see Mick transported back to London in '68 every time Rick played "I Loved Another Woman" and when they did "Oh Well". It was fantastic. No one will ever be able to play "Go Your Own Way" like Lindsey, but Rick and Billy got awful close to Peter and Jeremy during their time in the band.

My wife and I were in London in 2005 and walking through a tube station we saw a guy playing an acoustic guitar and singing for tips. What was he singing as we walked by? "Black Magic Woman"!! I gave the guy about 5 pounds!!!! I couldn't help it.

All eras of the Mac have their positives (and some more than others their negatives - "Penguin" has got to be the worst album ever!) but my preference has got to be for Greeny and the boys, especially when I'm in the mood for Blues.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
"Penguin" has got to be the worst album ever!)
What????

Oh thats right, I forgot, I'm the only one that likes the Derelict...

Full of such good songs, I'm a Roadrunner, Revlation, Dissatisfied....the list goes on...
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM
slipkid
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect, but I've never been able to get into listening to the whole "Penguin" album. It just doesn't do anything for me. There are a few nuggets on there though. "Remember Me", "Dissatisfied" are really good and I think another song or two whose titles escape me at the moment, but other than that I just can't listen to it as a whole album. I feel similarly about "Heroes Are Hard To Find". That one doesn't hold together as an entire album either. Again, not that there aren't a few good songs on it, but as a whole it's one that I don't think of putting in the car to listen to in its entirety. Give me anything from the PG days, "Bare Trees", "Kiln House", "Mystery To Me", "Fleetwood Mac", "Rumours", a good chunk of "Tusk", "Mirage", "Tango", "Behind The Mask", a handful of tracks from "Time", "The Dance", and a good chunk of "Say You Will" and I'm a happy FM fan.

Just like every fan of any artist, there are some tracks on every album that stand out and that you like and some that are just ok. Unless of course it's a seminal album like "Rumours" where each track stands alone and is great. I'm that way with almost every FM album. I can pick the stuff I really like out of each and every album, and there are things I like but don't love and then on some albums there are tracks I just can't stand. Again, no disrespect meant or intended, but "Roadrunner" and "Derelict" fall into those categories for me. If you like them, more power to you.

I think we can agree (obviously since we're on this forum) that FM is one of the greatest bands in the history of music, with its high and low points, but God bless them for keeping on all these years. I hope for many more years of great music from this group, in whatever configuration it's in.

Cheers!!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 AM
slipkid