User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lindsey broke me. When I first heard Shut Us Down, I couldn't take it. Reminded me too much of the dying Peter Jennings. By the time UTS came out, I was used to that rasp. Guess he's proven that if you do it long enough, they'll start to like it. Break their will.

I did have an attempt at proselytizing backfire though. I got so many copies of UTS when I bought concert tickets through Ticketmaster that I was giving them away. I had two people give them back to me because they hated his voice. I said, "But aside from his voice, did you like the music?" My boss said, "I couldn't HEAR the music, aside from his voice." This disappointed me, because my boss was a guitar player and I thought if anyone would appreciate UTS it was him. Lindsey lost himself a convert.

Overall, OOTC is probably the better album. But I love Show You How so much that it actually elevates the entire thing for me.

Michele
Sorry, but for me Out of the Cradle destroys Under the Skin, but I must say Down on Rodeo and Try for the Sun are really good songs.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Oy Jimmyjimmyjimmy.....
I personally hate that last album of his. He doesn't even sing any more. He just wheezes & fizzes out of his throat. He sounds like a bullfrog on the bayou.
I certainly don't blame you for thinking that. Just the other day I was driving a friend somewhere and I had UTS on in the car, and he basically said the same thing. Though he liked the acoustic atmosphere, the intimateness and Lindsey's guitar work, his voice annoyed him too much to give an objective opinion on the rest of the album.

I have to admit, I don't even notice it anymore. Like many people here, I didn't really like Shut Us Down at first listen, but that song grew on me and is now one of my favorites. Like with all acquired tastes, it takes some getting used to.

That said, I do have to say that I Am Waiting, Try For the Sun and Down on Rodeo are my favorite tracks on the album. Maybe that has to do with the fact that he actually does some singing on that instead of whispering, but especially IAW and TFtS are songs where the change in pace and octaves are what draw me to them. I prefer songs that have some variety, that can sweep me up and drop me down again. That's why Tango in the Night and Street of Dreams are my favorite songs of Lindsey ever. Songs like the title track and Cast Away Dreams, though beautiful songs, their monotony gets on my nerves after too many listens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
Vanessa, thanks for the 2 metersessies!!!!
You're welcome.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't decide about whether I like OOTC or UTS better. Really, I'm still so effing excited to have a new Lindsey album that my judgement is probably a bit clouded... maybe I can make a decision in a couple years.

That said, Law and Order could probably outrank both of them for me. I love that record so.so.so much.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
I certainly don't blame you for thinking that. Just the other day I was driving a friend somewhere and I had UTS on in the car, and he basically said the same thing. Though he liked the acoustic atmosphere, the intimateness and Lindsey's guitar work, his voice annoyed him too much to give an objective opinion on the rest of the album.

I have to admit, I don't even notice it anymore. Like many people here, I didn't really like Shut Us Down at first listen, but that song grew on me and is now one of my favorites. Like with all acquired tastes, it takes some getting used to.

That said, I do have to say that I Am Waiting, Try For the Sun and Down on Rodeo are my favorite tracks on the album. Maybe that has to do with the fact that he actually does some singing on that instead of whispering, but especially IAW and TFtS are songs where the change in pace and octaves are what draw me to them. I prefer songs that have some variety, that can sweep me up and drop me down again. That's why Tango in the Night and Street of Dreams are my favorite songs of Lindsey ever. Songs like the title track and Cast Away Dreams, though beautiful songs, their monotony gets on my nerves after too many listens.

You're welcome.
Its a bummer that Lindsey hates his voice because I love it. I love it when he sings. I think thats why I liked the 'live' Under the Skin songs so much more than the album songs because he SANG them live. Once I heard Under the Skin, Shut us Down, and Down on Rodeo I started loving the album tracks so much more.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Its a bummer that Lindsey hates his voice because I love it. I love it when he sings. I think thats why I liked the 'live' Under the Skin songs so much more than the album songs because he SANG them live. Once I heard Under the Skin, Shut us Down, and Down on Rodeo I started loving the album tracks so much more.
He did DoR at one of your shows?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
He did DoR at one of your shows?
Down on Rodeo: It's on the DVD bootleg (Pabst Theater UTS Milwaukee). It is very impromotu---liike some lady kept requesting it, so he finally did it. (I think...)
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Down on Rodeo: It's on the DVD bootleg (Pabst Theater UTS Milwaukee). It is very impromotu---liike some lady kept requesting it, so he finally did it. (I think...)
I don't have the DVD bootleg. But that's interesting.

I was surprised that DoR didn't make it to the lineup... it was sooo good on Soundstage.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

THANKS, all of you, especially Danax6!!!! great!

Do i have more on my wishlist? well, Any lindseysongFMdemo would be fine too. I know there are some from tusk and mirage. Don't know if there are rumours or whitealbum demo's that were not released on the reissues. Tangodemo's of lindseysongs? never heard one.

oh yeah...On the wrong side, anyone?

I feel like a spoiled brat asking for more, but those cassettedemo's of Deep Dense and Steve's riff(wear you down), are nothing less than intriguing. They really show how he works (worked). And yes, that "painting music" in my book too.

I hope some of you can help me out, and I am very glad this thread is a welcomed by others too. Cool.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Do i have more on my wishlist? well, Any lindseysongFMdemo would be fine too. I know there are some from tusk and mirage. Don't know if there are rumours or whitealbum demo's that were not released on the reissues. Tangodemo's of lindseysongs? never heard one.

I thought you only wanted solo stuff. I'll upload some more of FM tomorrow after work.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Do i have more on my wishlist? ...

oh yeah...On the wrong side, anyone?

Here you go...

On the Wrong Side

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0jf2t3
Old 09-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post

I thought you only wanted solo stuff. I'll upload some more of FM tomorrow after work.
Yeah I assume I wasn't very clear in my question, but I meant any sketch of songs he's written. Let me make myself clear: I'm not waiting for stevie repeating the same pianochord for 20 minutes. I've heard those, they have their own quality, but the way lindsey writes is so much more of a journey, a bumpy ride.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Here you go...

On the Wrong Side

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0jf2t3
Super!!!!! thank you Betsy!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah I assume I wasn't very clear in my question, but I meant any sketch of songs he's written. Let me make myself clear: I'm not waiting for stevie repeating the same pianochord for 20 minutes. I've heard those, they have their own quality, but the way lindsey writes is so much more of a journey, a bumpy ride.
Walk a Thin Line - 1 (1:11)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hmmniv

Walk a Thin Line - 2 (3:11)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v4taij

Walk a Thin Line - 3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v8tdgt

I've Been Loving You Too Long

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k5rs8h

Oh Diane (demo)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1uyn15
Old 09-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Book of Love (demo)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u9jdwc

Eyes of the World (demo)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/all1z8

Big Love (demo)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d90tmd
Old 09-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Trouble (demo)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/te2q1r

Lindsey's Jam (Take a Little Time) demo

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5kbnbo

Last edited by Betsy; 09-19-2007 at 06:42 PM..